I'd like advice on smoking when it's breezy

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

I'd like advice on smoking when it's breezy

Post by SmokinGordon » Mon May 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi guys,
It's that time of year when I rather smoke my pipe on the patio, instead of in the garage. However, if there's just a slight breeze, not hard wind, I find tha same tobacco, in the same pipe, loaded the same way is hard to keep lit and doesn't taste as good. Ex. today, I smoked Dan limerick in the same small bowl GBD. I did the other day in the garage, this time on the patio. It eas a little breezy I used Das's twist method of loading the flake. It smoked great, cool and sweet in the garage, but was hard to keep lit on the patio, burned too hot, and often tasted carbony. How can I get it to light, stay lit longer and, when lit not burn so fast it gets a icky taste when in a breeze? Advice, please!
Last edited by SmokinGordon on Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 pm

I find it easiest to smirk when it's breezy.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Mon May 19, 2014 10:28 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I find it easiest to smirk when it's breezy.
Ya, just saw that mistake in the title don't know how to edit the title. But it is the library, hence a serious question.
Last edited by SmokinGordon on Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:I find it easiest to smirk when it's breezy.
Ya, just saw that mistake in the title don't know how to edit the title. But it is the library, hence a serious question.
Fixed it. Now some real advice please, about smoking, not my poor typing.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 am

If wind conditions make the pipe taste bad, burn hot, or unsatisfying I move to the garage or to a spot in the yard with a wind break.

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 am

For smoking outside when there is a breeze. I have used a metal windscreen thing that attaches to the bowl of the pipe. I also use this to keep the tobacco from falling out of the bowl while carrying the pipe in my pocket.

http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php ... ts_id=1640
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Tue May 20, 2014 4:07 am

I bought a pipe with a moveable sleeve, made for breezy conditions. You just slide the sleeve up when it's breezy. Sounds like a clever idea, but I haven't used it in a breeze yet so I don't know if it works.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 6:44 am

gravel wrote:If wind conditions make the pipe taste bad, burn hot, or unsatisfying I move to the garage or to a spot in the yard with a wind break.
smart idea.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 6:56 am

Cliff wrote:For smoking outside when there is a breeze. I have used a metal windscreen thing that attaches to the bowl of the pipe. I also use this to keep the tobacco from falling out of the bowl while carrying the pipe in my pocket.

that looks like a good idea. Does it work well?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 am

SmokinGordon wrote:
Cliff wrote:For smoking outside when there is a breeze. I have used a metal windscreen thing that attaches to the bowl of the pipe. I also use this to keep the tobacco from falling out of the bowl while carrying the pipe in my pocket.

I live in Lubbock, TX. Here, a 50 mph wind is just a "good, stiff breeze". Those wind caps are worth their weight in gold.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 am

UncleBob wrote:
SmokinGordon wrote:

I live in Lubbock, TX. Here, a 50 mph wind is just a "good, stiff breeze". Those wind caps are worth their weight in gold.
Ya, I used to live in deep south Texas and the wind was bad, but nothing like Lubbock. I suspect you need a strap on your pipe that goes around your head, just to keep the darn thing in your mouth there!

I am going to be picking up a couple of those wind caps. For some reason I had missed seeing them when I have browsed pipe accessories. I do almost everything online, because Memphis is kind of a black hole when it comes to B&Ms that have much pipe related goods or tobacco. Good cigar rooms, not so much for pipes.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue May 20, 2014 9:11 am

Okay, just an idea here. By all means let's discuss...

I find that the breeze makes everything burn faster. It's like the wind is giving you a hand keeping things going. So how about packing the pipe to be more difficult to keep lit if you were smoking in a non-breeze environment? Pack tighter?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am

Skip wrote:Okay, just an idea here. By all means let's discuss...

I find that the breeze makes everything burn faster. It's like the wind is giving you a hand keeping things going. So how about packing the pipe to be more difficult to keep lit if you were smoking in a non-breeze environment? Pack tighter?
+1

When I'm out fishing or whatever I usually pack the tobacco a bit tighter and/or choose only flakes and chunkier cut tobacco. Assume that the wind will burn that tobacco a lot faster than otherwise. If it is TOO windy, I just don't smoke.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue May 20, 2014 9:53 am

I tend to smoke flakes hot anyway, so I hardly ever smoke them outdoors where there's a breeze.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 am

Gabriel wrote:

+1

When I'm out fishing or whatever I usually pack the tobacco a bit tighter and/or choose only flakes and chunkier cut tobacco. Assume that the wind will burn that tobacco a lot faster than otherwise. If it is TOO windy, I just don't smoke.
That's helpful, but I, being a novice pipe smoker, am getting fairly tightly packed flake burning hot in just a slight breeze. It's kind of weird, because I'm not keeping it lit very well, but when I do get it lit for a few puffs, it is burning so hot it tastes crappy. Yesterday it was with Limerick, that had burned extremely cool in the garage, with just the door open the day before. The thing is, I'm not talking major wind here, but just enough breeze to make the tree branches move a little. I think I am going to try the wind caps soon and, of course keep on working on my technique Good next step in my learning, I guess.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 am

SmokinGordon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

+1

That's helpful, but I, being a novice pipe smoker, am getting fairly tightly packed flake burning hot in just a slight breeze. It's kind of weird, because I'm not keeping it lit very well, but when I do get it lit for a few puffs, it is burning so hot it tastes crappy. Yesterday it was with Limerick, that had burned extremely cool in the garage, with just the door open the day before. The thing is, I'm not talking major wind here, but just enough breeze to make the tree branches move a little. I think I am going to try the wind caps soon and, of course keep on working on my technique Good next step in my learning, I guess.
Sounds to me like the breeze is merely coincidental.
Sola Deo Gloria

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue May 20, 2014 11:15 am

Can't help you. If it's blowy, I find a place out of the wind or I just don't smoke, partly because one thing I enjoy about smoking is having the cloud of smoke waft up around my head so I can enjoy it a second time. Having it blow away steals some of the pleasure for me.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue May 20, 2014 11:22 am

I'm surprised no one has suggested, "Smoke inside where there's no wind."

I realize, of course, many aren't afforded the location or opportunity to smoke indoors. I'm just making mention of my suprise it hasn't been mentioned yet.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I'm surprised no one has suggested, "Smoke inside where there's no wind."

I realize, of course, many aren't afforded the location or opportunity to smoke indoors. I'm just making mention of my suprise it hasn't been mentioned yet.
'tis an intersting thing. My wife really doesn't mind if I smoke in the house, and although my daughter, who lives with us, mentions she can smell it, doesn't complain either. But the doggone dog (pun intended) cougs and gasps and carries on in the middle of the night if I have smoked in the house during the day.

So, to avoid waking up hearing her sound like she is on death's door and avoid having to take her to the vet, since her bouts of asthma like cough can last for days, if not treated, I smoke in the garage or on the patio. I ain't hen pecked, I'm dog whipped!

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm

OldWorldSwine wrote:Can't help you. If it's blowy, I find a place out of the wind or I just don't smoke, partly because one thing I enjoy about smoking is having the cloud of smoke waft up around my head so I can enjoy it a second time. Having it blow away steals some of the pleasure for me.
Yup. Just put the pipe down and go to a Mexican restaurant.

Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016