I'd like advice on smoking when it's breezy

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:12 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Skip wrote:Okay, just an idea here. By all means let's discuss...

I find that the breeze makes everything burn faster. It's like the wind is giving you a hand keeping things going. So how about packing the pipe to be more difficult to keep lit if you were smoking in a non-breeze environment? Pack tighter?
+1

When I'm out fishing or whatever I usually pack the tobacco a bit tighter and/or choose only flakes and chunkier cut tobacco. Assume that the wind will burn that tobacco a lot faster than otherwise. If it is TOO windy, I just don't smoke.
That's helpful, but I, being a novice pipe smoker, am getting fairly tightly packed flake burning hot in just a slight breeze. It's kind of weird, because I'm not keeping it lit very well, but when I do get it lit for a few puffs, it is burning so hot it tastes crappy. Yesterday it was with Limerick, that had burned extremely cool in the garage, with just the door open the day before. The thing is, I'm not talking major wind here, but just enough breeze to make the tree branches move a little. I think I am going to try the wind caps soon and, of course keep on working on my technique Good next step in my learning, I guess.
Betcha money, marbles, or chalk that you are packing too tightly.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 5:52 pm

UncleBob wrote:
SmokinGordon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Skip wrote:Okay, just an idea here. By all means let's discuss...

I find that the breeze makes everything burn faster. It's like the wind is giving you a hand keeping things going. So how about packing the pipe to be more difficult to keep lit if you were smoking in a non-breeze environment? Pack tighter?
+1

When I'm out fishing or whatever I usually pack the tobacco a bit tighter and/or choose only flakes and chunkier cut tobacco. Assume that the wind will burn that tobacco a lot faster than otherwise. If it is TOO windy, I just don't smoke.
That's helpful, but I, being a novice pipe smoker, am getting fairly tightly packed flake burning hot in just a slight breeze. It's kind of weird, because I'm not keeping it lit very well, but when I do get it lit for a few puffs, it is burning so hot it tastes crappy. Yesterday it was with Limerick, that had burned extremely cool in the garage, with just the door open the day before. The thing is, I'm not talking major wind here, but just enough breeze to make the tree branches move a little. I think I am going to try the wind caps soon and, of course keep on working on my technique Good next step in my learning, I guess.
Betcha money, marbles, or chalk that you are packing too tightly.
you're probably right. I am learning though. Only been at it four months!
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue May 20, 2014 7:07 pm

MrPiper wrote:I recommend a small round spring activated wind screen that will fit any pipe. They can be found at most tobacconists for around $3.00.

They work well and you can even relight with the screen in place if needed.

Problem solved!

They even work with cobs. I use one when doing yard work. no ashes or tobacco spill out and you can just smoke right on.

piper
thanks. Planning to get a couple after several recommendations.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 pm

The first thing I need to know is if its really breezy, let's explain how to light the pipe in the first place.

My advice is stay out of the wind, but that's just me.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue May 20, 2014 7:18 pm

hogleg wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:Can't help you. If it's blowy, I find a place out of the wind or I just don't smoke, partly because one thing I enjoy about smoking is having the cloud of smoke waft up around my head so I can enjoy it a second time. Having it blow away steals some of the pleasure for me.
Yup. Just put the pipe down and go to a Mexican restaurant.
And if you do it right, you can make yer own wind.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

hogleg wrote:
hogleg wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:Can't help you. If it's blowy, I find a place out of the wind or I just don't smoke, partly because one thing I enjoy about smoking is having the cloud of smoke waft up around my head so I can enjoy it a second time. Having it blow away steals some of the pleasure for me.
Yup. Just put the pipe down and go to a Mexican restaurant.
And if you do it right, you can make yer own wind.
...says the guy who went out for Mexican food tonight
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk