Glossary Of Terminology Particular To Pipe Smoking

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Glossary Of Terminology Particular To Pipe Smoking

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Was wandering around looking for Brandy glass shaped pipe bowls on the internet and stumbled into this great Glossary. So, I thought I would share it.

"Here is presented a glossary of words particular to pipe smoking, defined so that you may not only smoke like an accomplished pipe smoker, but speak as one also:"

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpip ... ossary.cfm
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Glossary Of Terminology Particular To Pipe Smoking

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm

404 error file not found
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Jocose wrote:404 error file not found
I just clicked the link and it opened for me.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:13 pm

The classic Bulldog shape has a slightly forward tilting bowl, beveled at its top portion and tapered toward its bottom, and a diamond shaped shank. Traditionally there are one or two small grooves, called bead-lines, cut around the bowl.
^^^^^^^^^ See that, Rusty? :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Jocose wrote:404 error file not found
I just clicked the link and it opened for me.

Opens for me . .

What you will learn now, Goose, is that the definitions of some of those terms remain in perpetual dispute. And, as pipe collecting and smoking are hobbies engaged in by hobbyists and the consequences of these disputes are so very small, the vociferousness with which said hobbyists argue their own positions on these disputes is disproportionately large.

Open a thread asking for someone to tell you the difference between a bulldog and a Rhodesian, for example, and wait a half second. . .

(Cleon, you're a rabble rouser! :pipe2:)
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:12 pm

The single most useful thing you've ever posted, not that that's setting the bar very high.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Cleon wrote:
The classic Bulldog shape has a slightly forward tilting bowl, beveled at its top portion and tapered toward its bottom, and a diamond shaped shank. Traditionally there are one or two small grooves, called bead-lines, cut around the bowl.
Yes, that's a Bulldog too. Did you happen to check out their Rhodesian definition? Don't bother; I had them delete it. It was wrong.
Perhaps you forgot? You should go back and review the thread where I provided examples.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35521&p=900009#p900009
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am

Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Yes, that's a Bulldog too. Did you happen to check out their Rhodesian definition? Don't bother; I had them delete it. It was wrong.
Perhaps you forgot? You should go back and review the thread where I provided examples.
I noticed they chickened out with the Rhodesian. What's up with that? It's a ubiquitous shape. I mean, they even have tomato and blowfish for FredS sake. Do they fear the great Rusticles, that much? 8O

Listen, why don't we find some common ground? Let's agree that the Bulldog and the Rhodesian are in the same family. Let's agree that bent Bulldogs can exist independent of bent Rhodesians? Let's agree that both the Bulldog and the Rhodesian are better pipe shapes than, say, the dreaded Image
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
I noticed they chickened out with the Rhodesian. What's up with that? It's a ubiquitous shape. I mean, they even have tomato and blowfish for FredS sake. Do they fear the great Rusticles, that much? 8O

Listen, why don't we find some common ground? Let's agree that the Bulldog and the Rhodesian are in the same family. Let's agree that bent Bulldogs can exist independent of bent Rhodesians? Let's agree that both the Bulldog and the Rhodesian are better pipe shapes than, say, the dreaded Image
It's not fear but the light of truth that shines on all bad theories. They become embarrassing after a while, and people delete the evidence and the tapes in response. Also it's the anniversary of the battle of Trafalgar. You may notice my British colours.
I think that the Rhodesian is a later variation in the Bulldog family. I've said that in these discussions. But we don't actually have the history at hand. There is a project here for somebody. Jacques Cole may have left a lot more commentary on this for someone to discover but he passed away so only his writing remains. In any case the shank does not determine whether a pipe is a Rhodesian vs a Bulldog. The evidence from the British pipe makers speaks as one voice on this. It's a mistake to ignore them.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:55 am

A_Morley wrote:The single most useful thing you've ever posted, not that that's setting the bar very high.
Grrrr.