Product Number: 001-119-0037This neat booklet is essentially a detailed facsimile of an original Barling pipe catalog from the early 20th century, showcasing many of the marque's classic designs as they appeared in marketing materials from the era. In addition to those iconic shapes, you'll also find within the catalog seldom seen pieces such as the Captain Warren and special edition presentation cases. An excellent piece of history to add to your pipe smoking literature.
This looks to be a reprint of a Barling's product catalog printed for International Exhibition, London, 1851. It is only 28 pages and all the pipes are represented by "illustrations exactly two-thirds actual size." This catalog offers all the shapes, by number, offered by Barling's at this time. In addition, it offers examples from the following options:
- Stems come in vulcanite but also available in block amber
- Gold mounted pipes available in all shapes
- Silver cover pipes "suitable for yachting, shooting, and motoring, in all our leading shapes". The catalog depicts four distinct styles of silver covers.
- Meerschaum-lined pipes available in three shapes: The Regent (bent briar, no. 103), The Bulldog (straight, diamond-shank bulldog, no. 70), and The Straight Army (straight billiard with army mount, no. 13)
- Crocodile and Morocco pipe cases in both single pipes (like some meerschaum pipes now) and companions (multi-pipe sets)
- 8 different companion sets: 7 with 2 pipes and various stems and 1 with 3 pipes. All have either 1 pipe with a vulcanite stem and 1 with an amber stem or amber and vulcanite stems for all.
- Stems come in push tenon, army mount, silver/gold spigot, and silver screw.
- Not shown but offered are presentation cases holding 2-6 pipes are kept in stock. In addition, presentation cases can be made to order "with any of our shapes and in any manner, at short notice. The Cases can be supplied with Gold Lettering or engraved Silver Shields."