Rusty's wisdom concerning PAD and Pipe Collecting

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Rusty's wisdom concerning PAD and Pipe Collecting

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

This came from the thread on "How Many Pipes in Your Pipe Rack" and is classic Rusty who vigorously eschewed storing any pipe where it may be exposed to sunlight. Interesting description of his personal pipe acquisition habits.

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 am
In a rack? None. In socks or cases all 158.
Now you should ask how many racks I have.

But really it's not the absolute number that your wife should be judging.

If she wants to judge it's pipes per year acquired. 40 years pipe smoking for me. 158 pipes/40 years ~ 4 pipes/year.

Of course there are many more expensive hobbies. And pipes helps us to avoid some of the worst of these. It's a money saver for the household. So I really think we should get a credit of 2 pipes per year, as a thank you, for each expensive hobby avoided. I personally avoided 12m ocean yacht racing. Plus I don't have a Titan-Mercury launch vehicle in any barn nearby. Nor did I take up sailplanes nor spelunking. It was close in the case of sailplanes. It's rather easy to build up a good credit rating that allows a modest number of new pipes per year.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm
In my household we actually discussed pipe-$/year. And it was tied to disposable hobby income. But these are things a couple can agree upon. There will be years when you buy no pipes and there will be years when the PAD demon urges you on.

If you keep track of pipe purchases then you can calculate the instantaneous PAD moment dP/dt. And of course there is the second order d^2P/dt^2 that measures something like the acceleration in PAD. It can be scary. I've resisted developing Rusty's pipe mechanics.

More practical I actually have a graph of number pipes purchased over each year of the 40 years. So I can tell when the PAD demon relented vs. applied his little urges. And I know when each and every pipe was purchased and that's interesting because themes and variations in collecting appear.

Some wives are inured to math (esp if you just happened to have been her TA in 1st year calculus) so don't lean on that one too heavily.

by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:55 pm
All the stats provided by others has motivated me to look at mine again. But ....
There is news. There are now four more pipes plus one that seems to have been counted as another type. I didn't buy any pipes, honest. I always knew this could happen and now it has.

There are four new pipes and they're unused too. This brings my total to 162. There are:
o 141 briars,
o 15 Meerschaum pipes of which one is a Gourd Calabash
o 3 Clay pipes
o 2 Cobs
o 1 Morta pipe

Which ones are new? There's a new briar (it's a Grabow believe it or not), both cobs, and a long clay tavern pipe.

I feel like Mendel. How do you get those from the other mess?
This is from keeping them in a couple of boxes in the dark.

I wonder if I should check for new tobacco? The darn cellar has probably birthed a bag of 1Q.

MrPiper

Re: Rusty's wisdom concerning PAD and Pipe Collecting

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Here is one with about 1/3 to 1/2 of his collection on display.

by Rusty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Goose55 wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm
185 pipes. Is that one for Guinness' Book Of World Records?

Doubtful. I think it's not unusual with hobbyists and people that love pipes. And 185 is a medium to large sized collection. Functional art.
I've been 45 years at this and I have just over 160. I've never sold one of mine. Ask Sid how long he has been a pipe smoker/hobbyist. There are others here with large collections. If you treat yourself to three or four pipes per year it's easy to understand how the collections grow. Think of all the shapes, all the variations on shapes, and then all the various pipe makers and their different interpretations of shape. And then there are the finishes. That's just in briar; there are also other materials eg Olive wood, lemon wood, Meerschaum, Morta, Gourd, cob, cherry wood etc. Then there is all of this over different eras of time. Get Cleon talking about patent Dunhills. What is surprising is that we rarely get to a thousand. But over a hundred or even two or three hundred pipes is very easily done over time. All that one needs is a love for the pipes, time, and opportunity. Compared to ocean going yachts, racing, or a private plane, it's very inexpensive too. As drug habits go it's a bargain and it comes with toys. I still own the pipe that I smoked immed. before my univ. degree graduation ceremony, also the first pipe I smoked after marriage, and the pipe I smoked before & after my first child was born. These things are like signposts to the events in our lives. The pictures I show are just a selection based upon some of the shapes. Then there are all the accessories. You missed hearing about MrPiper's tamper collection. Imelda Marcos and her shoes have nothing on people with long running PAD.

Mordechai Ezrati (last owner of Upshall pipes) owned about 3,000 pipes in his collection. But then he had a pipe maker too.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 am

Rusty wrote:I wonder if I should check for new tobacco? The darn cellar has probably birthed a bag of 1Q.
:lol: Thank you, Rusty!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 pm

We have all been here haven't we? :-)

by Rusty » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 pm

durangopipe wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Bloodhound wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 pm

durangopipe wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm

UncleBob wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm
Mark Tinsky Christmas Sunrise Bent Apple (One Star) (2016)

Product Number: 004-009-9728
$175

That’s a beauty.
My kind of pipe, for sure.

Just saw this pipe...or the picture of this pipe...Man that is a beauty...classic!

An early and severe test of my New Years resolution to simply enjoy the pipes I already have

Again? I have to tell you that you ain't seen nothing yet in terms of severity. The problem is really that pipes are like trains. There's another one along every few minutes. So you really need to stop shopping too. I know. Shopping is not buying. It's innocent. And we like to look at pipes. But wait and see. The shopping goes too. Within about 6 mo. your whole attitude changes. You shop a little just to see what's out there. Every pipe you see is either a duplicate or inferior to something you already have. So you figure 'I'm cured'. Nope. If you shop you will find pipes that you don't have. That steel will is now put to the test again. And I'm sorry to say that it doesn't really change. This will happen again and again. I have friends that sold their pipes so they could go buy more. It's craziness. As long as you're not shopping pipes you're fine and you're delighted with your own pipes. But you also know that if you shop... Ten years in 2018 since I bought my last pipe.