Rusty's (and GLP's) wisdom concerning rehydrating tobacco

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Rusty's (and GLP's) wisdom concerning rehydrating tobacco

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 am
You can always try. But that product hasn't been made in over 30 years. That's the youngest it can be. It's older than you. Even in a sealed tin it's unlikely to be as good as it was the year it was made. That it is open suggests much worse. It depends how long it has been open though. After a month open tobacco noticeably loses flavour. After a year open to the air it's a lost cause. It's not just moisture lost but the complex organics that make flavour. Also being open it tends to absorb scents and perhaps other things from its environment over longer periods of time. It comes to equilibrium with its environment. The prospects aren't great. I've never had any luck even resurrecting year-open "lost seal in the cellar tins".

That it still has a tobacco scent is promising. GL Pease talks about this challenge in a couple of articles.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=28
http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=49

GLP suggests dumping the dry tobacco into a kitchen bowl and putting a very damp towel over the bowl (not in contact with the tobacco and not dripping). It's going to be days at this. Some suggest spritzing the tobacco directly with water. But since it was open I would guess that there is even a better chance of mold growing.

The American Tobacco Co. was the last manufacturer and they ceased manufacturing by '94. I think Blue Boar was discontinued in the mid-80's or so and the original never returned. The 80's were very bad years for pipe tobacco. We lost a lot. Bob Runowski was a very vocal fan of Blue Boar. If you look around you'll find some of his old posts from about 2000 through to 2011 on various forums. He passed away in 2011, I think. He posted under the name Morleysson, even here on CPS. He's the author of C&D's Morley's Best as a replacement for Blue Boar. So you might try that. It's available. He's the author of many of the great C&D Burley mixtures eg Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and many others.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Rusty's (and GLP's) wisdom concerning rehydrating tobacco

Post by Cleon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 am

I can attest that this method does work. A word of caution though, make sure that the towel you use is free of perfumes and fabric softener. Otherwise the scent will transfer to the tobacco. I've also found that paper towels can impart an unwanted chemical taste.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 am

Cleon wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 am
I can attest that this method does work. A word of caution though, make sure that the towel you use is free of perfumes and fabric softener. Otherwise the scent will transfer to the tobacco. I've also found that paper towels can impart an unwanted chemical taste.
Interesting!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm

I've got some 25+ year old Nightcap that is dry. I'll try to restore it.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I've had good luck with a bit of orange peel or apple. IIRC, Rusty insisted that this wasn't possible.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

I have used the damp towel over the tobacco in a glass dish. Hours is usually sufficient.
The proper point for the Library is that this process rehydrates the tobacco; it does not restore the tobacco.
If the tobacco has been very dry for very long, rehydrating will make it smoke-able, but it will not restore the lost oils, and whatever else used to be there.
Tobacco that has just started to get crunchy responds well to this method.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal