Brigham Pipes - Long Post

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
beeman86
Congregation
Congregation

Post by beeman86 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey Rusty,

That was great info on Brigham pipes. You were right on with Andrews's Sportsman. It must be an oldie. I am Canadian and so Brighams have a special place in my collection. I remember the Brigham booth at the sportsman show when my dad took me there as a young boy. He also smoked several Brighams so there is a sentimental attachment to them also.

I recently found an unsmoked Sportsman 4 dot. It is lovely!

You mention Phyllip Trypis. I have a number of his pipes also. You can see tell he was a Brigham pipe maker for sure. I have met with him on several occasions but as you may know he is not in good health. He has some lovely pipes.

I hope we can talk "Brigham" some more.

Take care of that pipe Andrew. It's a goodie.

Beeman

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:35 pm

[quote="Rusty"]Here's a shape page from a 1976 Brigham brochure.

Image [quote]

Hey! That's mine! The Bent Dublin ML. The one in the photo is semi-blast where mine is smooth, but that's the shape alright!
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:44 pm

beeman86 wrote: Take care of that pipe Andrew. It's a goodie.

Beeman
Ah, I didn't see this before I replied to your wanted post. It is a great smoker. I hope you find what you're looking for!

-Andrew

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I don't even know how to "operate" an eBay purchase. But when purchasing a used pipe, can stems be replaced? Do you have to get one from the manufacturer of that pipe or just go by what "seems?" to fit at any pipe shop?

Enjoying these posts and your history of pipes, Rusty.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't even know how to "operate" an eBay purchase. But when purchasing a used pipe, can stems be replaced? Do you have to get one from the manufacturer of that pipe or just go by what "seems?" to fit at any pipe shop?
Most pipe stems were mated with stummels (the wood) during manufacturing so they are literally made for each other. Making a new stem for most pipes is custom work (not like replacing a spark-plug) but there are businesses that specialize in such work and the manufacturers often do it too. The cost of such stems usually runs $30 - $100 depending upon the stem, stamping etc. Most pipe stores do not have ready-made replacements. Makers of military mount stems are more likely to offer standard size replacements. Some stores do carry them eg check out Cup O' Joes and replacement Peterson system pipe stems.

So, conversationally speaking, why do you want/need to replace the stem?

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 am

I wish to replace the stem primarily due to it's being soft plastic and yellow, which, I agree is of no consequence, it just bugs me every time I look at it.

While I have your attention, I might as well this one in: Is there an accepted way to remove the discolored portion that develops on most black stems from biting on it? What causes this brownish discoloration anyway?

adauria

Post by adauria » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Tatanka - PM Slowtoke (Wayne) on this forum. He does custom bit replacements.

-Andrew

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:52 pm

I wish to replace the stem primarily due to it's being soft plastic and yellow, which, I agree is of no consequence, it just bugs me every time I look at it.

While I have your attention, I might as well this one in: Is there an accepted way to remove the discolored portion that develops on most black stems from biting on it? What causes this brownish discoloration anyway?
Stem materials vary quite a bit and the material determines the cleaning regimen. Yours might be plastic but many are vulcanite which seems to begin degrading from the moment it is made. There are many folks that use 600 grit wet sand paper to remove the worst of the stain on vulcanite and then they use various levels of polishing compound to restore a mirror shine on a buffing wheel. Sound like refurbishing is a hobby? It is.

For light oxide or stain one can use one of the magic sponges and abrade the stuff away and then polish it by hand until it takes a shine. When the hands ache you know you're just starting.

As to what causes the brownish discolouration? If it's a vulcanite stem then it's a sulfur compound that was used to cure or harden the rubber. Frankly, after all the elbow grease I suspect the Italians are right about acrylic.