The "wosbald" Approach to Proper Pipe Smoking

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

The "wosbald" Approach to Proper Pipe Smoking

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 pm

This has already been posted publicly, but here it is as a reference:

<moderated> updated link see below

http://www.pipeandpint.com/downloads/wo ... proach.pdf
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

AmericanHussar
Elder
Elder

Post by AmericanHussar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 am

I have to say, that this method is working much better for me, much better than the Frank method.

PoppaPig
Bro Copy, away!
Bro Copy, away!

Post by PoppaPig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:31 am

I smoked my 4th pipe using this method last night. Observations thus far:

- Consistently cool smoke through 3/4 of the bowl
- Deep central burn to a finer ash
- Perimeter baccy isnt always reached by the central "cherry"
- More frequent relights
- Many more matches used due to gradual central light (4-5matches) and a few more re-lights.
- Re-light in the final 1/4 bowl

Overall I have enjoyed this method. The biggest gain being a cooler smoke through the majority of the bowl.

Tobacco Smoked: 965, P.S. Balkan Supreme, Solani aged burly
Man devises his path, but the Lord guides his steps

PoppaPig
Bro Copy, away!
Bro Copy, away!

Post by PoppaPig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 pm

AmericanHussar wrote:I have to say, that this method is working much better for me, much better than the Frank method.
BTW: I largely refer to the Frank method as a packing method and not so much a lighting method.. I did not really alter my packing process, but used the lighting/tamping guidance.

My packing mehtods vary by tobacco depending on the cut:
Frank: For shredded/ribbon cuts (965 ect)
PoppaPig: Cram and "seal" for cake&flake (Solani ect)
Man devises his path, but the Lord guides his steps

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Slight updates to the tract has been posted to my site. The updates include:

1) A slightly expanded explanation of packing
2) The inclusion of a clarifying remark in step one of the lighting method to indicate that the lighting puffs are to be short and gentle.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

FoxHound
My point is manifestly evident

Post by FoxHound » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm not going to criticize someone's favorite way to smoke a pipe, but for a country bumpkin like me this method is entirely too esoteric. The Frank method does me just fine - and with a great deal fewer matches!

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I've read some of these methods (including this one) and tried them with good success and satisfaction. But I've also come to the conclusion that the most important (perhaps the only) part that really matters is:

Draw gently as you light! Don't suck down like a forest-fire backdraft! Draw so that you barely turn the match flame into the bowl with a slow gentle light, and the pipe will be cooler and the tongue will discern the subtle tastes of the tobacco.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Well guys, I have a rising feeling of thinking I should begin all over again. For reading these articles has convinced me that I am doing about 90% of my pipe smoking ALL WRONG!

Either I have not read the "Frank method," or have forgotten the details, but there remains two areas I question, still am inconsistent with and have not come to any conclusions as to which I prefer; they include:

1) loading the pipe. I follow some method (Frank's perhaps?) where I drop tobacco into the bowl until it reaches or over flows; then tamp down - usually with a finger, until it is about 1/2 full; repeat and tamp to 3/4ths full; fill and round off the top, press around, then light.

A) I do not know how firm to tamp or press. Should a tamper be used rather than finger tip? How do you determine a right pressure and when to stop tamping?

2) Again I think I am tamping my ash far too hard/heavy. A visual would really help with these questions; but impossible. I'll have to experiment with more attention directed to the process.

A) Whether or not to leave the ash till the final light and smoke or shake it out. I hear both suggested.

I do know, after reading these posts, that I draw far too hard/heavy, and I've been holding my lighter or match for a long time with re-lights, while drawing like I was sucking in gold nuggets!

So, it's, overlook the embarrassment, just walk back into Pipe Smokers Kindergarten class and learn those ABC's and colors all over a gain!

Shheeze Louise!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

FoxHound

Post by FoxHound » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm

That packing method is fine. I tamp after the third pack. The pressure varies with the tobacco. Fine-cut, moist Virginias and Burleys do not need a hard tamp - just enough pressure to flatten the top. Coarser Latakias and Orientals tend to require greater pressure to tamp into the proper density. If in doubt, try the draw as you tamp. I leave the ash until the last 1/2-1/3 of the bowl, at which point I lightly shake it out and tamp the remaining tobacco, usually with enough care that it doesn't go out in the process. If I ever require a re-light, it is right there.

If your current method is working for you, don't sweat it. Also, bear in mind that the 'wosbald approach' is about as demanding and philosophical an approach as you're likely to find. That's fine for those who like it, but it's no basis for thinking you've got pipe smoking '90% wrong.'

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks, FoxHound, Much appreciated. I'm going to copy and save your post. It's just the way I am! :lol:
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

tgrady
Usher
Usher

Post by tgrady » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello all, haven't been here in a while but was looking for the "wasbaldapproch" by pipeandpint. Has it disappeared forever?

Dewey
Weedy wed Dewy Ye
Weedy wed Dewy Ye

Post by Dewey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:39 pm

tgrady wrote:Hello all, haven't been here in a while but was looking for the "wasbaldapproch" by pipeandpint. Has it disappeared forever?
I go to Los Lunas sometimes....mostly to drop off prisoners....

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:48 pm

+JMJ+
tgrady wrote:Hello all, haven't been here in a while but was looking for the "wasbaldapproch" by pipeandpint. Has it disappeared forever?
I've got the info stored. Assuredly, I will repost it at some point, likely with slight augmentation and expansion.

Many thanks for your interest in my work.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tgrady
Usher
Usher

Post by tgrady » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks Wos,
I had it bookmarked but I guess Pnp deleted it from his website. I have a young friend who is just starting out with the pipe and I was wanting him to read your approach. Great stuff.

Hey Dewey, when do you get up to Los Lunas?

Dewey
Weedy wed Dewy Ye
Weedy wed Dewy Ye

Post by Dewey » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:03 pm

tgrady wrote:Thanks Wos,
I had it bookmarked but I guess Pnp deleted it from his website. I have a young friend who is just starting out with the pipe and I was wanting him to read your approach. Great stuff.

Hey Dewey, when do you get up to Los Lunas?
It depends. Whenever we get a train of inmates to drop off.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:45 pm

+JMJ+
Just received an email from PnP saying that the file has been reposted.

http://www.pipeandpint.com/downloads/wo ... proach.pdf

(The old link no longer works, BTW.)

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tgrady
Usher
Usher

Post by tgrady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Great, thanks Wos. I was just reading through it again and sent the link to my newbie friend. Great info. thanks again.

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

This is coincidental with my mentioning it on the BoB board. As part of a reply post, I looked for the wos method on PnP's sight and couldn't find it, so I encouraged anyone interested in it to write Jeremiah for it, then next day or so, low and behold, it appears. I wonder if somone from BoB requested it or if its strictly coincidence?

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/ye-olde- ... t10109.htm
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: The

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Our CPS's Hugo had shared this thread with me and it is really a great link Pipe & Pint brought up, what 12 years ago!?

I applied some of the principles from Wosbald this morning, and they are good as gold. Made a great difference in the function & ritual enjoyment of the smoke. Here is part of what struck me about the Wosbald article, my gleanings, and [for now], just one pondered response:

Wosbald addressed packing the pipe.....

My response:
Love the fact about "mounding" the baccy, so that there is a center to be lit. Excellent reminder, too, to check the draw after packing. Wosbald interestingly wrote that because pipe tobacco packing can NOT duplicate the tobacco burning pattern of cigars and cigarettes, it poses a problem to the pipe smoker. I had read that an approach to packing that may help here is what I will call "upside-down packing." Putting the tobacco cupped in the middle upturned palm of your hand and then cork screwing it into the bowl, by twisting the upsidedown bowl down into your palm, clockwise. This might have to be done a couple times to fill the bowl. I had only tried this once, but will again, to see if it helps make a more natural burn pattern, such as that of a cigar, for the ember to follow down through the bowl.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: The

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:20 pm

The Wosbald Method made me quit smoking a pipe. I realized I would never be good enough.