The "wosbald" Approach to Proper Pipe Smoking

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: The

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:49 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful.
That is a very good method for those types of tobaccos. It establishes a spiral burn/ smolder pattern, like that of a cigar-- enabling "the pipe to smoke itself." I think a twisting pack is particularly effective with any long strand tobacco. I've used it with wonderful results with Orlik Golden Slice & Dunhill Flake, as they both rub out lightly to long strands.

But that method will not work with rubbed out McClelland or other brand's of broken flakes.

For rubbed out broken flakes I use that 3 fill method: remembering first a child's, then a woman's, and last a man's handshake. And also use the chalk Sharrow Philtpads, which are great and serve multiple purposes. Besides absorbing moisture and tars, they have ribs on the bottom to allow just enough air for draw, and they also take up that space at the bottom of the bowl that suffers from mistaken over-packing, ruining the bowlful of baccy.

Read the reviews, folks. The Philtpads are great:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filt ... ltpads-10/

Ah, grasshopper.
You are eager. This is good.

Your eyes are wide. Your mind is keen and open. Your heart is big.

We are all in different places but on the same journey, warily following many winding, worthy paths to the properly-packed pipe.

None of us shall ever see the end of this journey. The end, where there will only be smoke. Never a relight nor a gurgle. Never an unpleasant ghost. All, finally, all ways and always reduced to a fine, white ash.

Should a foe cruelly snap your stem.
Close your eyes. See my face.
Hear my voice . . .

The crane Goose. The Crane. :pipe2:
What are the reviews on this Crane you speak of?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful.
That is a very good method for those types of tobaccos. It establishes a spiral burn/ smolder pattern, like that of a cigar-- enabling "the pipe to smoke itself." I think a twisting pack is particularly effective with any long strand tobacco. I've used it with wonderful results with Orlik Golden Slice & Dunhill Flake, as they both rub out lightly to long strands.

But that method will not work with rubbed out McClelland or other brand's of broken flakes.

For rubbed out broken flakes I use that 3 fill method: remembering first a child's, then a woman's, and last a man's handshake. And also use the chalk Sharrow Philtpads, which are great and serve multiple purposes. Besides absorbing moisture and tars, they have ribs on the bottom to allow just enough air for draw, and they also take up that space at the bottom of the bowl that suffers from mistaken over-packing, ruining the bowlful of baccy.

Read the reviews, folks. The Philtpads are great:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filt ... ltpads-10/

Ah, grasshopper.
You are eager. This is good.

Your eyes are wide. Your mind is keen and open. Your heart is big.

We are all in different places but on the same journey, warily following many winding, worthy paths to the properly-packed pipe.

None of us shall ever see the end of this journey. The end, where there will only be smoke. Never a relight nor a gurgle. Never an unpleasant ghost. All, finally, all ways and always reduced to a fine, white ash.

Should a foe cruelly snap your stem.
Close your eyes. See my face.
Hear my voice . . .

The crane Goose. The Crane. :pipe2:
What are the reviews on this Crane you speak of?
I hear it's not quite as full-bodied as Lamb Kake.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:What are the reviews on this Crane you speak of?
Not an English, or an American Codger Burley. I believe it's primarily an oriental. Very strong.
One reviewer wrote, "This stuff is like a kick in the head."
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Here's the full review:

Maker: Miyagi
Blend: The Crane
Type: Oriental
Strength: Very strong
Tin note: Pungent
Room note: Unpleasant

Another powerful Oriental blend from Miyagi. This one is not for beginners. Smoking it is like trying to stand on one leg with your eyes closed. If you're not used to very strong hits, this tobacco will make you woozy. I smoked it in a small bowl Japanese Kisero, and it still knocked me on my butt.

This stuff is like a kick in the head.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:Here's the full review:

Another powerful Oriental blend from Miyagi. This one is not for beginners. Smoking it is like trying to stand on one leg with your eyes closed. If you're not used to very strong hits, this tobacco will make you woozy. I smoked it in a small bowl Japanese Kisero, and it still knocked me on my butt.

Is it better with a philtpad?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:

Depends.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Depends.
Ask Flo?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Depends.
Ask Flo?
Why, yes. Of course.
But she only arrives once a month.

Perhaps in the meantime, we'll have to just tamp on and wait.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:59 pm

durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Depends.
Ask Flo?
Why, yes. Of course.
But she only arrives once a month.

Perhaps in the meantime, we'll have to just tamp on and wait.
Yes, but she stays for a week.

Maybe you're right, though, if push comes to shove. How much longer do you think we can string this along?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:How much longer do you think we can string this along?
:rotfl:

FTW!

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:21 pm

You guys don't know what you're missin' by not using Philpad chalk. We poke fun at what we don't understand.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Use any product you want, sir. Someday soon you might just realize you don't need them. Or not. I'm betting you dont need them, though. Think of it a sign of faith.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:You guys don't know what you're missin' by not using Philpad chalk. We poke fun at what we don't understand.
Not intended to make fun of Philpads, Goose.
We was just punnin'.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:Use any product you want, sir. Someday soon you might just realize you don't need them.
True enough. But how will you know, if you never try them? Have them throw a packet in with your next order and give them a try.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 pm

Young Charbon the Puritan and old Poysam the Papist, howsome'er their hearts are severed in religion, their heads are both one; they may jowl horns together, like any deer i' the herd.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Use any product you want, sir. Someday soon you might just realize you don't need them.
True enough. But how will you know, if you never try them? Have them throw a packet in with your next order and give them a try.
Because I don't have a wet heel and unburnt tobacco!

But hey, in the spirit of inquiry and fun, pm me for my address, send me a stone and we can exchange tobacco and have some fun. I have some Virginia's here I think you'd like. And you'll get to try some RB plug.

When I started, I had a problem with wet heels and soggy tobacco. Lasted a long time, too. At least a few years. But one day it clicked and I didn't have a soggy mess at the end of the bowl. I'm not saying I know what I'm doing as if I'm on a pinnacle of pipely propriety. Many of the things I do I was thought to do by a much more experienced fellow. They weren't my ideas. I don't claim invention. I know they worked for me, that's all, but technique is necessarily personal.

I don't mock your use of the Philtpad so much as the awful, awful name.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:15 pm

A_Morley wrote:Young Charbon the Puritan and old Poysam the Papist, howsome'er their hearts are severed in religion, their heads are both one; they may jowl horns together, like any deer i' the herd.
There is a wonderful Sayers quote in which she has Wimsey say something along the lines of "I always have a quotation for everything, it spares the necessity for independent thought." You have learned this admirable lesson well and apply it in a particularly delightful way. I laughed aloud, good sir. Aloud.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

But hey, in the spirit of inquiry and fun, pm me for my address, send me a stone and we can exchange tobacco and have some fun. I have some Virginia's here I think you'd like. And you'll get to try some RB plug.

When I started, I had a problem with wet heels and soggy tobacco. Lasted a long time, too. At least a few years. But one day it clicked and I didn't have a soggy mess at the end of the bowl. I'm not saying I know what I'm doing as if I'm on a pinnacle of pipely propriety. Many of the things I do I was thought to do by a much more experienced fellow. They weren't my ideas. I don't claim invention. I know they worked for me, that's all, but technique is necessarily personal.

I never smoke all the way down. It's not worth the hassle. Once I hit the slough of relight and bitterness I just stop, pick out the dottle, and put it on a tissue in my right middle desk drawer. Then, on Friday afternoons, I pack a pipe with the week's dottle and light up. If I'm feeling lucky I'll add to the experience with a cheap beer and a Moon Pie.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Cleon wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I never smoke all the way down. It's not worth the hassle. Once I hit the slough of relight and bitterness I just stop, pick out the dottle, and put it on a tissue in my right middle desk drawer. Then, on Friday afternoons, I pack a pipe with the week's dottle and light up. If I'm feeling lucky I'll add to the experience with a cheap beer and a Moon Pie.
Now here's a man that needs a philtpad. Also, you are gross, sir.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Cleon wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

What do you do with Friday afternoon's dottle? That's dottle^2. 8O
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light