The OFG's Daily Driver

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

The OFG's Daily Driver

Post by joegoat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 am

Going to do the title swap on one of these today. 1974 VW Super Beetle. This isn't the car, photos to come. It will be orange, but mine has some girly flowers finger painted on it right now. I guess it comes along with it being a California car. Being 98% rust free makes up for the extra work of removing the posies. It runs and drives great. Even with the mostly interior work it needs, it is one heck of a deal! I've always loved the Beetles for their stupid simple design. While not as classic as an older model, the Super's MacPherson strut suspension nakes for a little better driver.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: The OFG's Daily Driver

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

I'm a VW Bug guy. Don't have one right now but have owned several. I owned a 73 SB. It was a good car. I love the simplicity of the car. The ability to drop the engine in under 30 minutes with a couple hand tools and a floor jack. Buy an extra engine and rebuild it. Have it sitting in the garage ready to put in when needed. Redoing the interior by yourself is pretty darn easy and cheap. Owning a bug causes you to slow down and enjoy driving. I never had a working radio in any of my Bugs and didn't miss it, I enjoyed just listening to the car itself.

I miss driving a bug.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 am
Going to do the title swap on one of these today. 1974 VW Super Beetle. This isn't the car, photos to come. It will be orange, but mine has some girly flowers finger painted on it right now. I guess it comes along with it being a California car. Being 98% rust free makes up for the extra work of removing the posies. It runs and drives great. Even with the mostly interior work it needs, it is one heck of a deal! I've always loved the Beetles for their stupid simple design. While not as classic as an older model, the Super's MacPherson strut suspension nakes for a little better driver.

I still have my copy of John Muir's VW Manual For The Complete Idiot, and a set of metric ratchets.
Wonderful cars!
FWIW, nylon panty hose can be re-purposed as a fan belt if required.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 am

Here she be! Flowers and all! Both floor pans are looking pretty bad in the back. No biggie, they're fairly cheap and easy to do. The engine should be out today. The most recent development was stumbling across a previous owners stash behind the glove box. A bag of weed! I guess the flowers and being from California should have told me I'd find something like that.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am

Are the heater channels under the doors in good shape?
hugodrax wrote:

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

An orange '74 bug was our family car for many of my formative years. It had a dent with red paint transfer on one of the fenders and a scar from a wayward, poorly packed axe in the middle of the hood. My brother and I used to like to sit in the "way back." My first loose tooth came from a hard stop while I was (for some reason) biting the chicken strap. Ah....good memories.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:42 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am
Are the heater channels under the doors in good shape?
Not a speck of rust on them! :D

Engine out, body off and I don't see anything making me regret this car.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 pm

After you replace the back floor pans are you going to use something like POR-15 to coat it?
hugodrax wrote:

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 pm
After you replace the back floor pans are you going to use something like POR-15 to coat it?
I'm still deciding on what to coat them in. I'm thinking rustoleum primer as a first coat.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 am
GaryInVA wrote:
I'm still deciding on what to coat them in. I'm thinking rustoleum primer as a first coat.
From what I've been told about this POR-15 stuff, it may be a better option. What are your thoughts and experiences with it?

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:00 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am
joegoat wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
From what I've been told about this POR-15 stuff, it may be a better option. What are your thoughts and experiences with it?
POR-15 is worth it but it is a mess to use. Anything you get it on is a permanent stain. If you have salted roads where you are then I would use something like it.
hugodrax wrote:

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:00 am
joegoat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am
joegoat wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
POR-15 is worth it but it is a mess to use. Anything you get it on is a permanent stain. If you have salted roads where you are then I would use something like it.
$40 a quart is steep. I'm being careful how much I put into it. Being a 74 super bug it is at the end of the classic bugs and by 74 they had lost many of the features collectors are looking for. I want a driver, but a nice one. I'm fixing and preventing as many issues as I can with the body off of it without doing a nut and bolt restoration. The frame will be painted and sealed up.
No one makes a complete wiring loom for 74 supers and this car badly needs help with the wiring. On the tear down I found a bag of weed and a home made pipe behind the dash. It was a long, curved piece of copper tubing with a small copper bowl soldered on the end. haha I'm pretty sure one of the previous owners was smoking it when they tried to do some DIY wiring. They put in some speakers and a new stereo. The speaker install destroyed the door panels. The stereo turned the wiring behind the dash into a mess of grounds tacked in any old place and crimp splices hooked into whatever wire was closest at the time. Taking the dash off was a nightmare!
There is much to do, but I love a project. It'll be something to be proud of when it's finally on the road again.