Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 pm
gaining_age wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm
I’m debating whether I should create a certificate style type document that could be framed or just use a small notebook that we could all write in. Opinions?

A notebook might be nice, we could possibly all relate our memories and anecdotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the intent? What content and who contributes (in which way)?

G.
The intent is to make our own memorial of Rusty, I guess we could either send it to his wife or just have a member burn it at the end, I’m not quite sure. Something we can pass around and contribute to with fountain pens, that being something that he loved, seems an appropriate way to remember him, since likely none of us can make it to Canada to attend a funeral. Anyone on the forum can contribute, if we decide on something, I will take names and addresses by PM and assemble a mailing list to go along with it.

Guy really wants a Viking funeral pyre.
Ideally it would be nice to send it to his wife, as a token of what he meant to us.

But a Viking funeral would be cool too, flaming arrow and all...

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:I am probably going to do a journal pass so that people can relate personal experiences and condolences on paper and send it to Mrs. Rusty, given his proclivity for fountain pens, I thought it appropriate. If you would like to participate pm me your address and I will add you to the mailing list and if anybody knows the mailing address for the final destination that would be helpful too.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

I have some Noodler's Bad Blue Heron that I just can't use anymore. It's a nice color. It's a secure ink. It also gums up the works something fierce in a short amount of time and that makes it just not worth a poop.

Excuse me while I go stain my fingers.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I enjoy my fountain pens. My wife bought me custom made fountain pen, I usually get odd questions from witness and suspects when they see me using a fountain pen to take notes.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Currently journaling with J. Herbin Caroube de Chypre in a Nemosene with a goulet ef nib

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:33 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm
Currently journaling with J. Herbin Caroube de Chypre in a Nemosene with a goulet ef nib

I have a Goulet Pen #6 nib on my Noodlers Ahab pen and it has turned the pen from good to an absolutely excellent writing machine. I heartily recommend their nibs!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 am

My wife for Christmas bought me a Cross pen set (roller ball and mechanical). She said I needed a set of classy pens for work and while wearing a suit. This lead to getting getting another set of Cross pens (Fountain and roller ball) with engraving. Then she had the custom I mention a couple of posts above made by a gentlemen that one of her work colleagues. Then, I saw a Faber-Castell e-Motion wood/steel fountain pen, that I could not pass up (freakin awesome pen by the way).

Now, my wife rolls her eyes when I ask her opinion of a wood/metal combination for another custom fountain pen to go with specific cuff links and paisley ties. I'm thinking that she created a monster.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am
My wife and her aunt were cleaning out Grandpa's desk drawers and came across a couple of pens and a bunch of nibs.

I have two that I'm thinking of having refurbished. One is an old Esterbrook with a fine nib. I'm guessing it is from the mid '60s. My research tells me that it was a run of the mill, everyday writer. Not too collectible, and nothing groundbreaking about the design.

The other is an old Parker Vacumatic. I'm guessing it is from the early '40s. This is a nice pen and fairly collectible from what I gather. It was Parker's top of the line at the time it was introduced and had some new filler technology in it.

Do any of you have experience with these pens? Have any of you sent pens off to be refurbished?
I found my Noodler's Konrad in the back of my desk drawer so I've decided to clean and refill it. I'll have to buy some more ink, since I just can't use the Bad Blue Heron anymore. I use pilot cartridges for my other pens.

So, I've also decided that I'll clean up the old Parker and Esterbrook and see if I can use them too. I don't think there is any need for a full refurbishment on them. I just want to write with them. Surprisingly the bladder in the Esterbrook and the diaphragm in the Parker seem to be okay. So, I'll soak and clean and polish the barrels.

The nice thing with the Esterbrook is that I've got five different nibs to go in it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am

I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 am

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

On to February’s writers, this month it’s:
Birmingham’s Allegheny River Twilight in an RFP Stub
And Pilot Fuyu-Syogun in a Vintage Parker F nib
Pics of pens and samples soon!

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Wishful thinking. Do they have a Mononghela River brown.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Don’t think so haha

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Don’t think so haha

Or the Ohio? I have a memory of watching flocks of Canada geese flying down the river, or maybe it was up river, while working near McKees Rocks one day.

Anyway, I like the ink colors. I'd like to find a nice pen and ink for use with my journal.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm

I am a little late to this party. I have finally read or skimmed all of this thread.

It is most pleasing to know that there are still many fountain pen appreciators and users. I have been using a fountain pen for about 50 years, since 4th grade. My first pen was a Shaeffer School Pen, or some such name. At times I have compared that pen to "good" pens and by golly, it performed quite admirably. All for about $4.00 if I remember correctly.

In 9th grade I bought a Parker 75 Sterling Ciselle because my minister, who I admired very much, had one. To this day I have that pen and use it. A little worm but very functional. Still my favorite. I have a few other pens as well. Two TWSBIs that are amazing. The clear Diamond 530 has a crack in the barrel, not an uncommon condition. Not sure if TWSBI will replace it or not. I also have a Vac 700 in cyan. Four Lamys found there way to my desk: Logo, Studio, Al Star, ST. The ability to quickly and inexpensively change the nib is a most interesting feature.

Ten years ago or so I became interested in stub nibs. Nibs for the Parker 75 are available from a few sources. Expensive but I did get one. The Lamy nibs are not expensive so experimenting is quite fun.

I am an engineer working in an aircraft factory and I get a bit of eye rolling and such when folks see my pens. Many of the younger folk have never seen a FP. The reality is that I do very little writing and most of that is with a mechanical pencil. For me FPs are by far the most comfortable tool for writing with ink.

But mostly a labor of love.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

I've really been enjoying this old Esterbrook that I was given. After a good cleaning it runs like a champ. Didn't even have to replace the sac. What's intriguing is the ease of switching nibs. It's a modular design. They just screw in. I've got a 9550 extra fine and some Noodler's Bad Blue Heron in it and didn't know an extra fine nib could be so enjoyable to write with. It keeps up just fine with minimal scratch. The ink I'm using is a clogger too. I was also given nibs: 9556 (fine writing), 9555 (shorthand), 9450 (posting), & 9668 (general writing) to try out. I might switch nibs when I run dry.

These can be had, refurbished on ebay, for around $35 or less. I would highly recommend them if you actually carry and write with a fountain pen.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm

I am looking to eventually pick up a waterman flex

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Inked up some pens for March/April Image