Cocktail Hour

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm

OK, cultured folks, teach me nuances between Whiskey Sour and Whiskey and Lemonade.

Internet recipe seems to boil a Whiskey Sour down to Whiskey, Lemon, something sweet and sometimes a "dash" of egg white.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm
OK, cultured folks, teach me nuances between Whiskey Sour and Whiskey and Lemonade.

Internet recipe seems to boil a Whiskey Sour down to Whiskey, Lemon, something sweet and sometimes a "dash" of egg white.
Less water, more flavor, and less fu-fu.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Dry Gin (Beefeater) Martini
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:58 am

Picked up a bottle of this Bourbon at Trader Joes yesterday and enjoyed a glass with my evening pipe ....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 pm

This evening at dinner, a couple next to us were drinking Sazeracs and Pimms Cups. "Sweet", I said. "Literally and figuratively, both.".
"Why not? It's New Orleans", came the Reply.
I asked for an Abita Amber but saw it coming and knew it wasn't. It was cold and hazy, bitter and very citrusy. Good at first but after a while it was just too much; almost like ale mixed with lime juice at abt 70:30 or so.
Almost done with it, I finally asked the waiter what he had brought me. With a slightly puzzled look he quickly replied, "Abita Hop-Up".

"Where you guys from?", I asked the guy sipping the Sazerac. "California", he replied. I bit my tongue. He had a nice looking wife I guess, but my wife is prettier. Nice evening.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Got this recipe from our Dr, who happens to be from India. He says it's good for arthritis, inflammation, and perhaps even wt loss:

4 oz low sodium V-8 juice
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp black pepper

I asked about addition of vodka, and maybe a couple of olives, and he didn't reply, which I took as indication of "mixers privilege".

My wife and I had one today, with olive and ice cube and small slice of lime. Not too bad, even without the vodka.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm
Got this recipe from our Dr, who happens to be from India. He says it's good for arthritis, inflammation, and perhaps even wt loss:

4 oz low sodium V-8 juice
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper

I asked about addition of vodka, and maybe a couple of olives, and he didn't reply, which I took as indication of "mixers privilege".

My wife and I had one today, with olive and ice cube and small slice of lime. Not too bad, even without the vodka.
I put the "r" in the turmeric. But still no vodka. Still, it's a good cocktail.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 pm

I mixed up a Brandy Alexander.

It really is the perfect nightcap.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/brandy-a ... gs.yHOCmqA
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 pm
This evening at dinner, a couple next to us were drinking Sazeracs and Pimms Cups. "Sweet", I said. "Literally and figuratively, both.".
I asked for an Abita Amber but saw it coming and knew it wasn't. It was cold and hazy, bitter and very citrusy. Good at first but after a while it was just too much; almost like ale mixed with lime juice at abt 70:30 or so.
Almost done with it, I finally asked the waiter what he had brought me. With a slightly puzzled look he quickly replied, "Abita Hop-Up".

"Where you guys from?", I asked the guy sipping the Sazerac. "California", he replied. I bit my tongue. He had a nice looking wife I guess, but my wife is prettier. Nice evening.
I got curious about the "sazerac." I searched CPS:
Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm
Pepik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm
Sazerac?! We Gotta talk dude....
I had to Google it.
No man - you don't Google it. You drink it.
I searched Liquor.com

https://www.liquor.com/video/the-sazerac/#gs.ee5GRUs

I searched some more, and discovered that I could get pretty close (by making just a few dubious substitutions with what I have on hand), and....

Viola! I just discovered my newest favorite cocktail!

Hey, Pepik -- what do you use for an anisette? Do you keep absinthe on hand?

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

Pepik wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Pepik wrote:
I had to Google it.
I searched Liquor.com

I searched some more, and discovered that I could get pretty close (by making just a few dubious substitutions with what I have on hand), and....

I've been using a VanGogh Absinthe that I received as a gift - not being into absinthe by its self. I'd image there's plenty of options up there in Madison - so if you're interested in exploring the "Green Fairy" I'd recommend Pernod's. Otherwise, St. George, Lucid, Kubler, or Amerique 1912 Absinthe Rouge by Great Lakes Distillery will suit.

Now I was at a David Burke's restaurant - and the mixologist on staff had a fantastic twist on the Sazerac: wash the glass with an Islay scotch (one with a high peat content/aroma) instead of absinthe. Now that an awesome combination.

I recommend to you the use of Demerara sugar!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Del

Post by Del » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Pepik wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

Pepik wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Pepik wrote:
I had to Google it.
I searched Liquor.com

I've been using a VanGogh Absinthe that I received as a gift - not being into absinthe by its self. I'd image there's plenty of options up there in Madison - so if you're interested in exploring the "Green Fairy" I'd recommend Pernod's. Otherwise, St. George, Lucid, Kubler, or Amerique 1912 Absinthe Rouge by Great Lakes Distillery will suit.

Now I was at a David Burke's restaurant - and the mixologist on staff had a fantastic twist on the Sazerac: wash the glass with an Islay scotch (one with a high peat content/aroma) instead of absinthe. Now that an awesome combination.

I've been playing with this.

I am using some ouzo from the back of the cabinet for my anisette. I need to find some Peychaud's Bitters... Angostrra for now.

First try was with brandy (I have plenty). I bought some Wild Turkey Rye today, for fun. I prefer brandy, in general.

The Islay might be really good with the rye, though. I will try it.

I made a simple syrup of white sugar. I will whip up some with demerara.

tim_witten
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tim_witten » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 pm

My new dietician recommended a drink a day. Really! He wrote it down for my wife and live in Father-in-law. So I found this bourbon I was gifted a while back and am following his advice. Image

PS: I’ve not been to Williamsburg, VA in a few years; but the Aberdeen Barn was excellent the last time I was there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del

Post by Del » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Pepik wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I just tried the Islay Sazerac.

O...M....G! 8O