A gentleman's bike

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Woodstock, IL
Contact:

Post by Bigwill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm

jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:Is that really yours? Looks like an Exile Cycle...nice.
I WISH IT WAS MINE!!! That is an Exile Cycle and it goes for about $50,000! 8O

Can't afford that on my pastor's salary.


...should I post this in that other thread? :wink:
$50,000 for a rigid??? Is the frame made out of gold or something? 8O 8O 8O
Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25580
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:Is that really yours? Looks like an Exile Cycle...nice.
I WISH IT WAS MINE!!! That is an Exile Cycle and it goes for about $50,000! 8O

Can't afford that on my pastor's salary.


...should I post this in that other thread? :wink:
$50,000 for a rigid??? Is the frame made out of gold or something? 8O 8O 8O
Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
They have some "overstock" bikes for $27,000. Go to their site and look. Under "current inventory"
Image

User avatar
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Woodstock, IL
Contact:

Post by Bigwill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm

jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:Is that really yours? Looks like an Exile Cycle...nice.
I WISH IT WAS MINE!!! That is an Exile Cycle and it goes for about $50,000! 8O

Can't afford that on my pastor's salary.


...should I post this in that other thread? :wink:
$50,000 for a rigid??? Is the frame made out of gold or something? 8O 8O 8O
Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
They have some "overstock" bikes for $27,000. Go to their site and look. Under "current inventory"
I'll have to figure out a way to post a pic of my Shovelhead for you...you'll see me in a whole new light...(it's got skulls and everything!:D)
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25580
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:Is that really yours? Looks like an Exile Cycle...nice.
I WISH IT WAS MINE!!! That is an Exile Cycle and it goes for about $50,000! 8O

Can't afford that on my pastor's salary.


...should I post this in that other thread? :wink:
$50,000 for a rigid??? Is the frame made out of gold or something? 8O 8O 8O
Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
They have some "overstock" bikes for $27,000. Go to their site and look. Under "current inventory"
I'll have to figure out a way to post a pic of my Shovelhead for you...you'll see me in a whole new light...(it's got skulls and everything!:D)
I would love to own a motorcycle. I've never driven one, but they seem like they'd be really fun. Alas, my wife would sooner see me castrated then see me riding a motorcycle.

Guess I'll just have to buy that Pony I've been eyeing once my Saturn dies.
Image

User avatar
Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:19 pm

If you into DH and all. Very sexy and quite a price tag


Image
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25580
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

As for downhill, Santa Cruz has my love:
Image

User avatar
Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm

jruegg wrote:As for downhill, Santa Cruz has my love:
Image
When I was 14 I saved and saved and bought a Kona Coiler which I still have today. In Durango, Co downhill was they thing to be doing. I loved Yeti. They were local and are an amzing company. Santa cruz makes amazing affordable bikes.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

User avatar
Hauser
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by Hauser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

The one I wish I never sold. I did a frame up build on it.

Image

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25580
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Hauser wrote:The one I wish I never sold. I did a frame up build on it.

Image
Nice! Cannondale make some great frames. Especially their newer aluminum/carbon-fiber frames... stiff where you want stiffness and flexible where you need flexibility.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
bryanlefever
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 851
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Contact:

Post by bryanlefever » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm

LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
This bike is outrageous. Love it
"A Pipe Gives A Wise Man Time To Think, And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth"

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 pm

bryanlefever wrote: This bike is outrageous. Love it
Thanks. It really hooked me on building up bikes; never did one from the ground up before. And not sure what makes this one so fun to ride (geometry maybe?), but man, it's really swell. Nothing like old lugged steel.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29406
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:44 pm

LushMojo wrote:
bryanlefever wrote: This bike is outrageous. Love it
Thanks. It really hooked me on building up bikes; never did one from the ground up before. And not sure what makes this one so fun to ride (geometry maybe?), but man, it's really swell. Nothing like old lugged steel.
It is very nice, though I will miss seeing the Rivendell
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17999
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

*snip*
A fixie? I never figured you to be a hipster, Lush.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm

coco wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
bryanlefever wrote: This bike is outrageous. Love it
Thanks. It really hooked me on building up bikes; never did one from the ground up before. And not sure what makes this one so fun to ride (geometry maybe?), but man, it's really swell. Nothing like old lugged steel.
It is very nice, though I will miss seeing the Rivendell
The Riv was a great bike. It's just too much money to spend on a bike though.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

*snip*
A fixie? I never figured you to be a hipster, Lush.
Ah, but it's not a fixed gear. The coaster hub makes it more of a "coastie" than a "fixie." I like the simplicity of a fixed gear bike, but I find them VERY disconcerting to ride.

User avatar
ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Lafayette Indiana

Post by ArtGuy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm

That is awesome Lush. Have I posted pics of my '74 Raleigh International on this thread? Well, even if I have here are some :)

Image

Image

Image

Image



Image
John

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17999
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:19 pm

LushMojo wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

*snip*
A fixie? I never figured you to be a hipster, Lush.
Ah, but it's not a fixed gear. The coaster hub makes it more of a "coastie" than a "fixie." I like the simplicity of a fixed gear bike, but I find them VERY disconcerting to ride.
That's what I get for opening my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm

ArtGuy wrote:That is awesome Lush. Have I posted pics of my '74 Raleigh International on this thread? Well, even if I have here are some :)
The International has those amazing Nervex lugs. Love 'em.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New York

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:23 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

*snip*
A fixie? I never figured you to be a hipster, Lush.
Ah, but it's not a fixed gear. The coaster hub makes it more of a "coastie" than a "fixie." I like the simplicity of a fixed gear bike, but I find them VERY disconcerting to ride.
That's what I get for opening my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:
No worries; I wouldn't have known had I not researched for this build. A coaster hub lets you brake simply by backpedalling, just like beach cruiser bikes or the bike you had when you were a kid. They're making a huge reentry into the market lately apparently:

http://coasties.com

Post Reply