A gentleman's bike

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm

jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:Is that really yours? Looks like an Exile Cycle...nice.
I WISH IT WAS MINE!!! That is an Exile Cycle and it goes for about $50,000! 8O

Can't afford that on my pastor's salary.

...should I post this in that other thread? :wink:
$50,000 for a rigid??? Is the frame made out of gold or something? 8O 8O 8O
Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:

Almost all of Exile's bikes run in the 50k's. With a knuckle head motor option, the price is $65,000.

Exile's bikes are pretty pricey but.... they're hand made, custom cycles. Not only that, but they are pretty innovative as well. This one features a suicide shifter nob. Notice the red button on the nob? It's like an emergency brake for when you have to start on a hill. Pretty cool, huh?
It's a nice looking bike, no doubt (definitely my style), but I think I could find one for $25,000, and put the rest away for college...
They have some "overstock" bikes for $27,000. Go to their site and look. Under "current inventory"

Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm

jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:

They have some "overstock" bikes for $27,000. Go to their site and look. Under "current inventory"
I'll have to figure out a way to post a pic of my Shovelhead for you...you'll see me in a whole new light...(it's got skulls and everything!:D)
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
jruegg wrote:

I'll have to figure out a way to post a pic of my Shovelhead for you...you'll see me in a whole new light...(it's got skulls and everything!:D)
I would love to own a motorcycle. I've never driven one, but they seem like they'd be really fun. Alas, my wife would sooner see me castrated then see me riding a motorcycle.

Guess I'll just have to buy that Pony I've been eyeing once my Saturn dies.

Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:19 pm

If you into DH and all. Very sexy and quite a price tag

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

As for downhill, Santa Cruz has my love:

Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm

jruegg wrote:As for downhill, Santa Cruz has my love:
When I was 14 I saved and saved and bought a Kona Coiler which I still have today. In Durango, Co downhill was they thing to be doing. I loved Yeti. They were local and are an amzing company. Santa cruz makes amazing affordable bikes.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

Hauser
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Hauser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

The one I wish I never sold. I did a frame up build on it.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Hauser wrote:The one I wish I never sold. I did a frame up build on it.

Nice! Cannondale make some great frames. Especially their newer aluminum/carbon-fiber frames... stiff where you want stiffness and flexible where you need flexibility.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

bryanlefever
Pastor
Pastor

Post by bryanlefever » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm

LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

This bike is outrageous. Love it
"A Pipe Gives A Wise Man Time To Think, And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth"

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 pm

bryanlefever wrote: This bike is outrageous. Love it
Thanks. It really hooked me on building up bikes; never did one from the ground up before. And not sure what makes this one so fun to ride (geometry maybe?), but man, it's really swell. Nothing like old lugged steel.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:44 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Thanks. It really hooked me on building up bikes; never did one from the ground up before. And not sure what makes this one so fun to ride (geometry maybe?), but man, it's really swell. Nothing like old lugged steel.
It is very nice, though I will miss seeing the Rivendell
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

LushMojo wrote:Sold my Rivendell and bought this junker and fixed it up. 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix in bronze green. Everything is original except for a Velosteel coaster hub, Brooks B17 saddle and new tires. More fun to ride than any bike I've ever owned and not too bad to look at either.

*snip*
A fixie? I never figured you to be a hipster, Lush.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm

coco wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
It is very nice, though I will miss seeing the Rivendell
The Riv was a great bike. It's just too much money to spend on a bike though.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:

*snip*
Ah, but it's not a fixed gear. The coaster hub makes it more of a "coastie" than a "fixie." I like the simplicity of a fixed gear bike, but I find them VERY disconcerting to ride.

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm

That is awesome Lush. Have I posted pics of my '74 Raleigh International on this thread? Well, even if I have here are some :)

John

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:19 pm

LushMojo wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

*snip*
Ah, but it's not a fixed gear. The coaster hub makes it more of a "coastie" than a "fixie." I like the simplicity of a fixed gear bike, but I find them VERY disconcerting to ride.
That's what I get for opening my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm

ArtGuy wrote:That is awesome Lush. Have I posted pics of my '74 Raleigh International on this thread? Well, even if I have here are some :)
The International has those amazing Nervex lugs. Love 'em.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:23 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

*snip*
That's what I get for opening my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:
No worries; I wouldn't have known had I not researched for this build. A coaster hub lets you brake simply by backpedalling, just like beach cruiser bikes or the bike you had when you were a kid. They're making a huge reentry into the market lately apparently:

http://coasties.com