A gentleman's bike

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I hate threads like this. Now I want to build a coastie and I have no use for one.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

JimVH wrote:I hate threads like this. Now I want to build a coastie and I have no use for one.
If it's any consolation you can find a vintage coaster brake for $15 or so and find an old bike frame for $10 or so like I did. Or you might find it for less. A lot of cities have "bike kitchens" with free frames and parts for people who want to invest some time.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:57 pm

LushMojo wrote:
JimVH wrote:I hate threads like this. Now I want to build a coastie and I have no use for one.
If it's any consolation you can find a vintage coaster brake for $15 or so and find an old bike frame for $10 or so like I did. Or you might find it for less. A lot of cities have "bike kitchens" with free frames and parts for people who want to invest some time.
Sounds like a cool grandson project. Thanks.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm

JimVH wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Sounds like a cool grandson project. Thanks.
Indeed.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Do you plan on doing a custom paint job or will you leave it original?

This guy does good work, but he charges accordingly.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm

coco wrote:Do you plan on doing a custom paint job or will you leave it original?

Joe Bell did the custom paint on my Rivendell. I seriously thought about redoing the paint, but I'm going to keep it original. The "bronze green" has highlights that are truly beautiful in person. I just don't think I'd be able to achieve it even with the best painter's talents. It's got a number of dinks and scratches, but the color and the patina are worth keeping.

However, I wouldn't be averse to getting another identical frame in poor condition and getting it repainted. I'm just too attached to this one to change it.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

LushMojo wrote:
coco wrote:Do you plan on doing a custom paint job or will you leave it original?

Joe Bell did the custom paint on my Rivendell. I seriously thought about redoing the paint, but I'm going to keep it original. The "bronze green" has highlights that are truly beautiful in person. I just don't think I'd be able to achieve it even with the best painter's talents. It's got a number of dinks and scratches, but the color and the patina are worth keeping.

However, I wouldn't be averse to getting another identical frame in poor condition and getting it repainted. I'm just too attached to this one to change it.
I completely understand
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

LushMojo wrote:

Keep it the way it is, it looks fine. I kept my International the same for the same reasons.
John

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am

Took some pics around the neighborhood this morning on my "clear my head" ride.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 am

:D :D :D

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: A gentleman's bike

Post by coco » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 am

This guy does some amazing custom saddles

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 am

coco wrote:This guy does some amazing custom saddles

His braided leather bar wraps are really cool.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:04 am

GaryInVA wrote:

They are impressive. He doesn't do those personally. He has them woven with 12 strands in Italy. To my knowledge, he is the only one who sells such. Everyone else does leather tape or a leather wrap that is baseball stitched like on a steering wheel. I've will probably do the latter on my old Cannondale.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 pm

coco wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

They are impressive. He doesn't do those personally. He has them woven with 12 strands in Italy. To my knowledge, he is the only one who sells such. Everyone else does leather tape or a leather wrap that is baseball stitched like on a steering wheel. I've will probably do the latter on my old Cannondale.
Hmm.. I'm not sure you know what a saddle is or what someone who uses it should look like.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:13 pm

UncleBob wrote:
coco wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

Hmm.. I'm not sure you know what a saddle is or what someone who uses it should look like.

Allegedly, the first non-wood bicycle saddles were made by English saddlemakers, hence the name.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:20 pm

As long as we are digging up bones of Lushmojo, I want to see the Chicken Towel again.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am

Hey Goose, what do you ride?

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am

coco wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am
It's an aluminum frame Silver Dawes 24 speed comfort bike. Only changes I made to it are a left side view mirror and some tougher, higher pressure tires, Continental Gator Hardshells. Oh, and I also had a low gear front 3 ring sprocket installed. It looks close to this except the 700C tires aren't as chunky looking and I swapped out a firmer seat from my 1st bike. The new front chainrings are also not black, but stainless steel. The bike has a front suspension like a motorcycle

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am
coco wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am
It's an aluminum frame Silver Dawes 24 speed comfort bike. Only changes I made to it are a left side view mirror and some tougher, higher pressure tires, Continental Gator Hardshells. Oh, and I also had a low gear front 3 ring sprocket installed. It looks close to this except the 700C tires aren't as chunky looking and I swapped out a firmer seat from my 1st bike. The new front chainrings are also not black, but stainless steel. The bike has a front suspension like a motorcycle

The Gators are great tires.

Stainless steel chainrings are much more sensible than aluminum. They may weigh an ounce more, but they last ten times as long.

Wider gear ratios are also a wise choice. I often see people riding with the same gears the pros use, gear ratios that are great if you are a world-class athlete drafting 50 people in a peloton, but not a good choice if you are not a world-class athlete OR if you are not riding with 50 others.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am

I'll admit it. I want one of these
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."