A gentleman's bike

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: A gentleman's bike

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 am

coco wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am
coco wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am
Hey Goose, what do you ride?
It's an aluminum frame Silver Dawes 24 speed comfort bike. Only changes I made to it are a left side view mirror and some tougher, higher pressure tires, Continental Gator Hardshells. Oh, and I also had a low gear front 3 ring sprocket installed. It looks close to this except the 700C tires aren't as chunky looking and I swapped out a firmer seat from my 1st bike. The new front chainrings are also not black, but stainless steel. The bike has a front suspension like a motorcycle

The Gators are great tires.

Stainless steel chainrings are much more sensible than aluminum. They may weigh an ounce more, but they last ten times as long.

Wider gear ratios are also a wise choice. I often see people riding with the same gears the pros use, gear ratios that are great if you are a world-class athlete drafting 50 people in a peloton, but not a good choice if you are not a world-class athlete OR if you are not riding with 50 others.
Thanks for asking about my bike. I enjoyed the show and tell. This bike is helping me forestall knee replacement by strengthening the muscles in and around the knee.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 am

I’ve got one of these hanging on the wall in the garage:

Loved that bike!

1987 Specialized Sirius. Mine looks spiffier now with yellow bar tape and yellow sidewall tires, but it looked pretty much like this when I was riding a lot.

It came with a Shimano 105 ”groupo.” I upgraded the wheel set to DuraAce hubs and Mavic MA40 rims, Look pedals, Shimano 600 chainrings, Campy seatpost . . .

It’s a double-butted steel twelve speed. Lugwork is gorgeous!

Rode it in the 1988 Iron Horse Classic with Team Anaszi (The Ancient Ones), a group of over-40 riders sponsored by a local bank.
We all beat the train to Silverton.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 am

Cool bike Bob!

I found the Anasazi team photo in Silverton - I had the date wrong. It was 1989:

I'm on the far right.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 am
I’ve got one of these hanging on the wall in the garage:

Loved that bike!

1987 Specialized Sirius. Mine looks spiffier now with yellow bar tape and yellow sidewall tires, but it looked pretty much like this when I was riding a lot.

It came with a Shimano 105 ”groupo.” I upgraded the wheel set to DuraAce hubs and Mavic MA40 rims, Look pedals, Shimano 600 chainrings, Campy seatpost . . .

It’s a double-butted steel twelve speed. Lugwork is gorgeous!

Rode it in the 1988 Iron Horse Classic with Team Anaszi (The Ancient Ones), a group of over-40 riders sponsored by a local bank.
We all beat the train to Silverton.
Would have pegged that as an 80's bike by the paint job.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 am

Good example of a Gentleman's Bicycle would be a 2008 TREK 4500 hardtail mountain bike 24", with Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" urban commando tires on down hill rims and Serfas full suspension gel seat.For riding rails to trails.
I have one taking up space in my storage unit - switched to lap swimming for cardio workout.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 am

A Pashley Guv'nor
https://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/bicycles/guv-nor.php

A Handsome Devil
https://handsomecycles.com/collections/devil-bikes

Or the top of the wish list, a Rivendell Bicycle Works Sam Hillborne
https://www.rivbike.com/search?q=%22Sam ... omplete%22
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4