Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Hats

Post by Thunktank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:09 pm

What sort of gentlemen wear what type of hat and for what purpose? Talk freely about this. I need some new hats/caps but not sure what I want yet.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

BalkanBoy
Usher
Usher

Post by BalkanBoy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Tweed hat suits best to a pipe smoker IMO.

Growler
Usher
Usher

Post by Growler » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:57 pm

I like driving caps and fedoras. The driving cap is a great pipe smoking hat.
I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices -- Mark Twain

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I like the larger Fedora. Its a classic and goes with just about anything.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts

Post by CaptainMathias » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 pm

I personally enjoy the Irish tweed flat cap and tradional walking hat as seen below

Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

deadwhitetail
Minister of Bloop
Minister of Bloop

Post by deadwhitetail » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:57 pm

I personally enjoy the Irish Tweed Flat Cap (Driver Cap) as well. My favorite hat is made by Hanna Hats in Ireland. You can order directly from their website and they are very true to size after measuring your head.

www.hannahats.com

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:39 pm

CaptainMathias wrote:I personally enjoy the Irish tweed flat cap and tradional walking hat as seen below

Do I spy an Irish Harp?
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:41 pm

deadwhitetail wrote:I personally enjoy the Irish Tweed Flat Cap (Driver Cap) as well. My favorite hat is made by Hanna Hats in Ireland. You can order directly from their website and they are very true to size after measuring your head.

www.hannahats.com
I like that website!!! :D

CaptainMathias

Post by CaptainMathias » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Nay good sir it is the St. Pats 2008
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Growler wrote:I like driving caps and fedoras. The driving cap is a great pipe smoking hat.
Where you been?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Great pics Captain!

Great link DeadDeer! Nice to see you back again too.

I do think a flat cap is in order for a hat or two. I have a few other ideas too for other occasions. I'll post links later, gotta make dinner now though.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm

western fedora. there simply are no other hats for real men.
YEAH COBS

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 pm

CaptainMathias wrote:I personally enjoy the Irish tweed flat cap and tradional walking hat as seen below
I have a hat very similar to the above walking hat, brown Scottish tweed w/ a drop brim; style is appropriately called a "Scottish drop brim"

great cold weather hat, have had it for years
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

Farmboy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Farmboy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 pm

You all are probably going to laugh, but generally a seed cap, unless it's something more formal, then it's a western hat.

freebird
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by freebird » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 am

It really depends upon my mood. If dressed up, then a fedora or a bowler. If not then a western or a ball cap.
I like my pipes bent and my razors straight.
.... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- --..-- / -. --- - / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. --- .-. / --- .-.. -.. / -- . -. / .- -. -.. / ..-. .-. . --.- ...

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:09 am

I wear an Akubra fur felt, pure win for the Pacific Northwest rain...
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 am

I love my Akubra Snowy River hat.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:14 am

I'm fond of an eight panel tweed cap, greek fisherman's (like Max in the old tv show Hart to Hart) and the boy scout fedora for casual wear in cooler months.

For more formal occasions I have a black Resistol, but I'd like to get a Borsalino someday (I'll need it anyway when I go to accept my Nobel prize!)

For sking I have a knit "clever hat" copied from the tv show---I know a lady in Los Angeles who knits them and they are really cool looking, sort of like Mayor Jeff on the cartoon series PB&J Otter. Since it didn't come from a store but directly from the lady who knits them I consider this my Distributist hat!

I had an irish walking hat but it shrunk and no longer fits so I gave it to my son---I don't know if I'll replace it or not (certainly not in the near future!)

In the summertime I'll waffle between a Gus style cowboy straw when I'm out on the range, a plain white cotton eight panel (this one, alas died this very summer after nearly 15 years of service :cry: ) a "Real Deal" wide brimmed hat made from a tarp that is 1/4 the price of the similar looking Tilley---this style of hat was "mandated" by one of the soccer moms at my son's games. She's a dermotologist and gets a wee bit confrontational if I don't protect my constantly growing forehead :( .
I also have my old boonie hat left over from when I worked for my wealthy uncle Sam, but I don't wear it any more--I'll probably give it to my son someday.

I know this sounds like a lot of hats, but they were accumulated over a long period of time and due in part to the unfortunate phenomenon of less hair=more hats.

I would love to come into possession a sombrero and a big moustache someday, but I must resist the temptation of frivolous vanity! :oops:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Hovannes wrote: a "Real Deal" wide brimmed hat made from a tarp that is 1/4 the price of the similar looking Tilley---this style of hat was "mandated" by one of the soccer moms at my son's games. She's a dermotologist and gets a wee bit confrontational if I don't protect my constantly growing forehead :( .
:lol:

Fortunately, I don't have a constantly growing forehead yet. Those "Real Deal hats look like a good outdoors activity hat.

I'm going to order a brown herringbone flat cap from Hanna Hats for my normal casual wear for those cooler days and nights.

I also need to find a nice cotton/ventilated version of the flat cap as well because it is generally rather warm and mild here in So. Cal. wool herringbone will be a bit much most of the time. I have one now but it's a tad to large for my head so I haven't worn it much. But I do know I look good in them because I received nothing but compliments while wearing it, so now I just need to find a good quality source to buy one that fits properly.

Guess I'm just sick of the ball caps all the time.

Oh, I will likely get a nice straw Stetson Western style hat again in the natural straw color. I used to like those as well.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Hovannes wrote:I'd like to get a Borsalino someday (I'll need it anyway when I go to accept my Nobel prize!)
"Hovannes" is really Barack Obama!! Who would have guessed?!

Mr. President, can we expect lower pipe tobacco taxes next year?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk