Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Didn't everybody get a Nobel Peace prize? 8O

If I were Barak Obama, I'd use it to pay off the national debt.
No, not really.

If I were Barack Obama I'd squirrel it away like a good marxist! :wink:
Of course, any gifts to the President of the US while in office become the property of the US Government, right?

I mean, even Congress knows that, right? :lol:
DEUS VULT!

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:07 am

For hats I lack a formal wear hat, though planning to picking up this Jaxon fedora. Though if I had the money, I'd get the Bailey Hale (though the Indiana Jones and Borsalino are close seconds)

Current hats I wear are a black knit watch cap in cold weather to make up for my lack of natural insulation up top. Otherwise its a surplus official issue jungle hat (desert MARPAT) or an old Yankees cap that has seen better days.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:01 am

I like hats. Most of the time my hat of choice is just a stocking cap. But I do have a driver cap I wear only because john and ringo used to wear one. So I wear it like this:

"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

croppy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by croppy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 am

my favorites are the 8/4 caps the irish tweed flat caps and fedoras. a bowler would be in the mix but i just cant pull it off

-dan-

Briar_Bowl
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Briar_Bowl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I switch off between Fedora's and Western hats, depending on my mood and attire. :wink:
LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED...MISUNDERSTANDING ALL YOU SEE

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:42 pm

This one was my Grandfathers. Straight from Ireland.Image

I have two hats like this one. One is all black and one is pinstriped like this one.Image

Serialhorseplayer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Serialhorseplayer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 am

Black woolen Navy watch cap, issued to me in 1966, for winter, and any number of baseball caps (only with actual team, major or minor, logos) for the rest of the year, especially at sunrise and sunset.

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 am

I need a new winter hat. I'm tired of wearing sock hats and hats that give me "hat head". So, in my search, I've stumbled upon these:

Tilley TW2 ...styled with a medium size brim, has unique tuckaway ear warmers, forehead warmer and is treated for snow and rain repellency.
  • Medium brim
    Brim size: Front: 2 5/8" and Back: 2 3/4" Sides: 2 1/8"
    Weighs 6.3 ounces
I like the forehead warmer on this one. Not sure of the heft though. I'm partial to the charcoal color, but I like the band on the black/brown herringbone better.
==========================================

Tilley TTW2...The lightweight Tilley Tec-Wool Hat, styled with a medium size brim, has c_change™ fabric technology and tuckaway earwarmers. The c_change™ membrane is bonded to the fabric and reacts to changing body temperatures, ensuring constant comfort.
  • Medium brim
    Weighs 4.8 ounces
I think I like the lighter weight of this one, but it doesn't have the forehead warmer. I like the band choices on the TTW2.

Decisions, decisions. I don't think I'm about to drop that much change on a lifetime hat without getting it fit in person, so I'll have to find a shop to visit.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon

Post by Cleon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 am

Hovannes wrote:...I know this sounds like a lot of hats, but they were accumulated over a long period of time and due in part to the unfortunate phenomenon of less hair=more hats.
:lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 am

Cleon wrote:
Hovannes wrote:...I know this sounds like a lot of hats, but they were accumulated over a long period of time and due in part to the unfortunate phenomenon of less hair=more hats.
So true! :lol:
DEUS VULT!

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am

Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote: a "Real Deal" wide brimmed hat made from a tarp that is 1/4 the price of the similar looking Tilley---this style of hat was "mandated" by one of the soccer moms at my son's games. She's a dermotologist and gets a wee bit confrontational if I don't protect my constantly growing forehead :( .

Fortunately, I don't have a constantly growing forehead yet.
Humph! Things have changed with time. <redacted_emoji>
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

USA_traveller
Usher
Usher

Post by USA_traveller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 am

Cleon wrote:I need a new winter hat. I'm tired of wearing sock hats and hats that give me "hat head". So, in my search, I've stumbled upon these:

Tilley TW2 ...styled with a medium size brim, has unique tuckaway ear warmers, forehead warmer and is treated for snow and rain repellency.
  • Medium brim
    Weighs 6.3 ounces
I like the forehead warmer on this one. Not sure of the heft though. I'm partial to the charcoal color, but I like the band on the black/brown herringbone better.
==========================================

Tilley TTW2...The lightweight Tilley Tec-Wool Hat, styled with a medium size brim, has c_change™ fabric technology and tuckaway earwarmers. The c_change™ membrane is bonded to the fabric and reacts to changing body temperatures, ensuring constant comfort.
  • Medium brim
    Weighs 4.8 ounces
I think I like the lighter weight of this one, but it doesn't have the forehead warmer. I like the band choices on the TTW2.

Decisions, decisions. I don't think I'm about to drop that much change on a lifetime hat without getting it fit in person, so I'll have to find a shop to visit.
I own three Tilley's, chiefly because:
1) I have a large head (8 3/8) headband -indicative of a thick skull, not a large brain.
2) they pack easily
3) they carry a lifetime warranty, and even a loss insurance.

I have had a Tilley TW1 for about five years, and wear it whenever I'm in upper Midwest in the winter. That includes places like Chicago, Detroit, UP Michigan, Wisconsin and even Minnesota. I would not trade ANY of my Tilley's for anything (ok, maybe ten pounds of Penzance or FFV or original Sobranie's).

Yes, they cost a little more, but any gentleman will recognize your refined taste and style the second he sees you.
"Alone with none but Thee, my God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear when Thou art near,
Oh King of night and day?
More safe am I within Thy hand
Than if a host did round me stand."
--Attributed to Saint Columba.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 am

While I wear baseball type caps at work most days, my usual hat when not at work is the one in my avatar. I like the idea of a fedora, but have a hard time finding one that looks good on me. Also, the hip-hop folks have somewhat adopted them...

I used to have a great foldable bush hat. I left it in CO one year and have never replaced it, really wouldn't mine having another one.
Sola Deo Gloria

Cleon

Post by Cleon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am

USA_traveller wrote:I own three Tilley's, chiefly because:
1) I have a large head (8 3/8) headband -indicative of a thick skull, not a large brain.
2) they pack easily
3) they carry a lifetime warranty, and even a loss insurance.

I have had a Tilley TW1 for about five years, and wear it whenever I'm in upper Midwest in the winter. That includes places like Chicago, Detroit, UP Michigan, Wisconsin and even Minnesota. I would not trade ANY of my Tilley's for anything (ok, maybe ten pounds of Penzance or FFV or original Sobranie's).

Yes, they cost a little more, but any gentleman will recognize your refined taste and style the second he sees you.
Where did you get yours? It looks like the nearest place that would carry the style I want is about a three hour drive for me. I hate the idea, but I'm thinking about buying a few online and trying them out and then returning all but the one I want.

USA_traveller
Usher
Usher

Post by USA_traveller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

I bought the first one (one of the Tllley original white canvas hats) in Florida while at a Company retreat in 2002. I think I bought my Tilley winter hat in Indy while working on a project there about five years ago. Since then, my wife and I have bought three more at the Tilly store online. So we own five altogether, and wear them all the time. And no, we don't wear all of them at the same time! And we don't go in for the whole 'twinsie' matching thing, either. We just love the hats.

I notice you are in Indiana. PM me your location. I have a colleague there who might know where to find one.
"Alone with none but Thee, my God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear when Thou art near,
Oh King of night and day?
More safe am I within Thy hand
Than if a host did round me stand."
--Attributed to Saint Columba.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:50 am

My favorite in the cooler months. Woolrich crushable wool safari.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Under a certain age, or outside of a certain style of dress, this should be instructive.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 pm

@TNLP: :yes:

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Although I have variations among the types, I own only two types of hats.

Cowboy hats. A grey felt one that belonged to Grandpa FredS and a newer, big brimmed straw one.

Baseball caps. Probably a dozen. Solid panel Leave It To Beaver style, not mesh-backed trucker style.

That's more than enough. I feel absolutely no need to wear any type of head covering that was in fashion before my birth (circa 1960).

EDIT - On second thought, I would wear an additional hat if I ever find one for sale in person (who buys hat's online?). As I child, I remember my father and his friends returning from the field wearing faded tan Jones style hunting hats. At one time I owned my Dad's but it's gone missing. I want another one.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Ball caps.