Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: Hats

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Went ahead and bought one. Scala - Dorfman Pacific "Everest."

Crushable all season wool felt with ear flaps and chin strap

Would post picks, but it's packed.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Not my hat; this pic shamelessly stolen from the inter webs. This is the same hat as the one I bought today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Nice, Gabe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 pm

I like it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Gabriel wrote:Not my hat; this pic shamelessly stolen from the inter webs. This is the same hat as the one I bought today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a good all arounder. Wear it often. That's the only way you will become used to it in a sea of baseball hats.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm

JimVH wrote:I just surfed the Akubra wed site. The Stylemaster in Blugrass Green Speaks to me.

Cleon is not a good influence.
Love the Bluegrass Green. It looks good with everything, surprisingly. I have an Akubra Campdraft in that color. It comes open crown. I like creasing my own hats. To me it's like tying your own bow tie instead of buying a clip on. I creased it like this:
I've bought direct from a couple of Australian sites:
http://everythingaustralian.com.au
https://hatsdirect.com/pages/the-federation-iv
Ther first seller is cheaper and has better overall selection but there is a common 3 month wait while they take enough orders for a run. The second seller is more expensive but they usually have in stock and a few more exclusive styles. I've heard that Akubra has had to start sourcing their rabbit fur from Europe instead of sourcing from Australia. Strange, I know. This might change their felt feel and performance. I don't know. All I can say is that my Akubras have been the best modern production hat value that I've found.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:52 am

Cleon wrote:
JimVH wrote:I just surfed the Akubra wed site. The Stylemaster in Blugrass Green Speaks to me.

Love the Bluegrass Green. It looks good with everything, surprisingly. I have an Akubra Campdraft in that color. It comes open crown. I like creasing my own hats. To me it's like tying your own bow tie instead of buying a clip on. I creased it like this:
Ther first seller is cheaper and has better overall selection but there is a common 3 month wait while they take enough orders for a run. The second seller is more expensive but they usually have in stock and a few more exclusive styles. I've heard that Akubra has had to start sourcing their rabbit fur from Europe instead of sourcing from Australia. Strange, I know. This might change their felt feel and performance. I don't know. All I can say is that my Akubras have been the best modern production hat value that I've found.
I haven't used them, but this site made for some easy window shopping:

http://www.hatsbythe100.com.au

That hat has real character, Cleon.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Cleon wrote:

Very nice looking hat.
We need a photo of you wearing it--with a pipe, of course.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Very nice looking hat.
And the Cargos! :D

Nice hat. I have an Akubra Territory which I refer to as The Umbrella.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 am

I may need an intervention. I bought another hat. A Stetson dress hat. I have enough that I need to start unloading the ones that don't fit absolutely perfectly.
I think I'll give it a nice diamond crease with deep pinches. Or a simple center dent. Or...

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:27 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Very nice looking hat.

That's a lot of brim. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable in something that big.

I had thought about getting an Akubra Sombrero for cover in the sun and modifying it to look like I want but decided I would probably never where it.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 am
I may need an intervention.
My wife says that about me, too. She's pretty patient though, I think she realizes buying hats is a better vice than chasing floozies and such.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 am
Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 am
I may need an intervention.
My wife says that about me, too. She's pretty patient though, I think she realizes buying hats is a better vice than chasing floozies and such.
I can go three weeks and wear a different hat each day. I couldn't do that (anymore) with floozies.

Today I'm wearing a custom navy blue open road style with a flannel shirt and cargo jeans. Eat yer heart out Jo.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

My MIL gave me two hats for Christmas. I have come to the conclusion that you shouldn't buy hats for others as gifts.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:26 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm
My MIL gave me two hats for Christmas. I have come to the conclusion that you shouldn't buy hats for others as gifts.
Does one look like this?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Very nice looking hat.

That's a lot of brim. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable in something that big.

I had thought about getting an Akubra Sombrero for cover in the sun and modifying it to look like I want but decided I would probably never where it.
Yeah, you have to have a big head to pull certain hats off. My Territory is a size 62
I guess the aussies will make fun of you if you wear a large brim. Kinda like the jokes about the guys in lifted pick-ups.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 am

I'm starting to dream of spring and summer, which means a new straw hat. I'm looking at some milan hats. Basically, they're braided wheat straw that's sewn together to make a hat. I've never had one. I heard they smell, well, like hay.
Here's an extremely fine example:
It comes from Optimo of Chicago.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Very nice looking hat.

Yeah, you have to have a big head to pull certain hats off. My Territory is a size 62
I guess the aussies will make fun of you if you wear a large brim. Kinda like the jokes about the guys in lifted pick-ups.
Nice hat! My Akubra Coober Pedy is one of my favorites. Its Western enough to fit right in here in The Cowboy Capital of the World, but different enough to stand apart.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 pm

My 92 year old charge moved in with a caregiver.

I had to go through her house before the squatters take over and burn the place down (there's no insurance)---mainly to shred any papers with her SSN or bank account numbers for her protection---and rescue family photos which are useful to jog her memory as she suffers from dementia.

Another goal was to gather up her 1950's style clothes which are going to a grateful High School drama department.
In a hat box in the closet I found the fedora and necktie her father was wearing when he died, which she saved. Those will go to the High School too.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 am

Eruannu wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
My wife is pregnant.
I'm not old. Your music really does suck.