Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
LtMac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by LtMac » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Cowboy hats here. I have a Resistol straw hat and an Atwood straw hat for the warm days. I have a black Resistol and a chocolate brown Stetson for cooler days. I prefer the "Gus" crease in all my hats. I will soon be going to a nearby custom hatter to be fitted for a custom made hat in the "two dot" crease. I also have my eye on a couple of custom made hats from Knudsen hatters and The Last Best West hatters that are replicas of the hat that the character Charley Waite wore in the movie Open Range. I just can't decide on which one I prefer. Right now I'm leaning towards the version from Knudsen hatters.

Cowboy hat etiquitte equals straw between Memorial Day and Labor Day and felt between Labor Day and Memorial Day but "real cowboys" wear what they want when they want. I let the outdoor temperature decide what I'll be more comfortable in no matter what time of the year.

LtMac

LieutenantGibGib
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LieutenantGibGib » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Flat cap, because I'm working class. Granted, not a lot of my generation wear hats regularly these days, but I like something to keep my head warm and I dislike hoods. I also feel more comfortable having something to tip or raise when greeting people, especially should they be a social superior or a lady. I also need it to fumble in my hands when I ask the boss for half a day off at Christmas or if the staff could possibly have another lump of coal for the fire.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm

It looks like hats are quite popular among CPSers. I like this because I like hats and the idea of wearing a hat. Kind of like pipe smoking. I like old traditions (old to me, at least) and hats and pipes seem to go together.

My dad always wore a hat. Always. Well, not in the house or any other building. I would get a talking-to if I wore my cap inside. Same when I was a child.

There seems to be something of a consensus that JFK was responsible for discontinuing the tradition of wearing hats. Be that as it may, my dad never discontinued wearing them. I have a picture of him working on a job back before WWII and he was wearing one then - the medium-brim fedora that was so popular - and he wore that style for most of his life. In later years, he wore a flat cap a lot.

So in view of the above, about 20 years ago (while he was still alive), I adopted the tradition of wearing hats. I have mostly worn a fedora, the wide-brim version popular in the 40s and 50s. I need a new one. Most of the time now I wear a baseball cap that says "Appalachian State University Dad". My son bought it for me when he started at App and I wore it all five years he was there. Guess I'll keep on. I do wear a charcoal gray fedora for dress occasions (church...sometimes) and the hat in my avatar when working in the yard. As your hairline recedes, the old head needs more protection from the sun and skin cancer is real popular in our family. Definitely thinking about one of those Hannas.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm a hat guy due to similar influences as Steverino mentioned. My closet is littered with them in a variety of types and shapes and there are always a couple to choose from in my truck.

I'm in need of a new winter hat and this thread is a bad influence. Unfortunately, I fear even the lighter weight Tillys are too warm for Houston winters.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:10 pm

JimVH wrote:. . .there are always a couple to choose from in my truck. . .
I have two 'truck hats' shoved under the seat. Both ball caps. One is from an old employer - I stuck it under the seat the day I received it four years ago and I use it once in a while if I need to get out in the rain and I've not worn another cap from home. The other is a faded old orange hunting cap because, well, you never know when someone might invite you to go quail hunting. . .or lay asphalt on the highway.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:42 am

I have a wool cloche, two fedoras, and a handmade Victorian-style hat with feathers. And a couple ball caps. I need to knit another beret, I think I gave my last one away.

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 am

I'm still considering the Tilley winter hat. But I stumbled upon this

Filson insulated packer hat for a song from an CSP Outdoors so I ordered one. I should have checked this place and I should have checked Filson at the beginning. I've been getting advertisement from this outfit for years and they always have good deals. This is a more casual style too and probably fits my style better.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 am

Thinking of picking up this hat.....for cigar time.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 am

LushMojo wrote:Thinking of picking up this hat.....for cigar time.

Sorry Lush, that's an extremely douchy hat IMHO. I applaud the effort, however.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am

Kirk1701 wrote:

So, it's good for feminine hygiene then?

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 am

Don't you make me quote myself, folks.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 am

LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:

So, it's good for feminine hygiene then?
Precisely. I wouldn't want to wear any of those items as clothing.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

TNLawPiper wrote:Don't you make me quote myself, folks.
Jruegg? Is that you? :D
Sola Deo Gloria

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I still like the previous one I posted (DoucheBerry Farms or not). How about this?

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Thumbs-up on both, Lush. I like the second better, though.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Cleon wrote:I'm still considering the Tilley winter hat. But I stumbled upon this

Filson insulated packer hat for a song from an CSP Outdoors so I ordered one. I should have checked this place and I should have checked Filson at the beginning. I've been getting advertisement from this outfit for years and they always have good deals. This is a more casual style too and probably fits my style better.
Glad you posted that one, that's getting into my style now.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm

If I could pull off one of these...I'd get one.

"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 pm

A variety of ball caps, most of which say something about Oklahoma State or the USMC on them. I might pick up something else sometime if it strikes me, but it's not a priority. It won't look good on me. I look like a goofball no matter what I wear.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:13 pm

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:If I could pull off one of these...I'd get one.

Do like.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Well, I have never been a dress hat wearer, but it was a bit cool in town this week. I purchased a soft felt fedora to use when I was WM at my lodge a few years ago. I broke it out and wore it this week and I think it is now a part of my cool weather fashion.

I'm not really trying to "be" anything, but a proper gentleman's hat just seems to fit my perception of a grown man. Same as good inexpensive scent, mug & brush shaving, Bible knowledge, black coffee drinking, eating what you kill, self-sufficiency skills, and etc.

I'm not much for photos, but I will try to get a pic of me and the hat for this thread soon.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal