Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15115
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by Cleon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:03 am
JimVH wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:33 am
I decided this was the year for a new summer hat. It arrived this week.

Image

Akubra Country Club
Thanks for reminding me of another item on my wish list. I need to settle on a summer dress hat.
Nice. I love Akubra for a modern day production hat. They're better than Stetson even. I've got three of them.

That country club will shade your crown in style and be able to take on rain without deforming, contrary to straw. Not that you have to worry about rain. :lol:

And curses. Now I'm looking at Milan straws again. Got to find one with at least a 2 3/4" brim but not more that 3".
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15115
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by Cleon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am
ReverendThom wrote:I got a new hat in Mexico today. I owned the same one for a few years, and then my wife squished it this past summer. What is this style called?

This is the 8th selfie I tried without looking like a knob. This is as good as it gets haha

Image

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Panama?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Is it straw of felted fur? It looks like it could be a fine weave straw of some sort or silverbelly felt. I can't tell from the photos because of the lighting. If it's straw, it's a fine weave, isn't it?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28570
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Hats

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 am

Image

Just a wool cap.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3777
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:50 am

Cleon wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am
ReverendThom wrote:I got a new hat in Mexico today. I owned the same one for a few years, and then my wife squished it this past summer. What is this style called?

This is the 8th selfie I tried without looking like a knob. This is as good as it gets haha

Image

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Panama?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Is it straw of felted fur? It looks like it could be a fine weave straw of some sort or silverbelly felt. I can't tell from the photos because of the lighting. If it's straw, it's a fine weave, isn't it?
Si, straw.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Hats

Post by StoicDetective » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm

My work straw.Image

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28570
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Hats

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm

You have a small Chris Ledeaux tattoo on one of your upper arms, don’t you? If you don’t; go get one ASAP and then reply, “yes.”

That is all.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Hats

Post by StoicDetective » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:56 pm

DepartedLight wrote:You have a small Chris Ledeaux tattoo on one of your upper arms, don’t you? If you don’t; go get one ASAP and then reply, “yes.”

That is all.
Lol ... I'm more of a Bob Wills or Asleep at The Wheel kinda guy.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28570
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Hats

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am

Image

I want more hats.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25180
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Hats

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am
Image

I want more hats.
That, sir, is one mighty fine looking fedora.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28570
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Hats

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23325
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by JimVH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm
Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
Win.

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15115
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by Cleon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm
Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
Win.
NIce. I don't have the gravitas to wear a hat like that. Plus, I can't resist the urge to smash and pinch the crown of my hats.

DL, you need a better camera.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25180
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Hats

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm
Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
I used to have a hat like that. I named it Kerwood.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Hats

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
You, Sir are the second person I have met/seen that can actually pull off the bowler.
Well done, good form.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18746
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
You, Sir are the second person I have met/seen that can actually pull off the bowler.
Well done, good form.

Sent via telegraph
Great. You’re all so nice I feel like I shouldn’t make fun of Wyatt Derp over there. Well, I’m one of those d!ck-type Christians. Nice hat, Wyatt. :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Hats

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
You, Sir are the second person I have met/seen that can actually pull off the bowler.
Well done, good form.

Sent via telegraph
Great. You’re all so nice I feel like I shouldn’t make fun of Wyatt Derp over there. Well, I’m one of those d!ck-type Christians. Nice hat, Wyatt. :D
Wyatt Derp?! ... his hat is more of a Bat Masterson type. Geez, east coasters.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18746
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Image

New hat arrived early this morning. After work, walked the pups in the quaint downtown area we have here in bold celebration of IPSD-2018.
You, Sir are the second person I have met/seen that can actually pull off the bowler.
Well done, good form.

Sent via telegraph
Great. You’re all so nice I feel like I shouldn’t make fun of Wyatt Derp over there. Well, I’m one of those d!ck-type Christians. Nice hat, Wyatt. :D
Wyatt Derp?! ... his hat is more of a Bat Masterson type. Geez, east coasters.

Sent via telegraph
Oh, I agree. But you try to work a cool insult into "Masterson."

And I'm originally from Montana. You "detect" like old people screw, sir. :lol:
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15115
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 pm

I have the urge to get a new hat. It always happens this time of year when fall is approaching. The problem is that I should have thought about this months ago because I've been wanting custom one from Black Sheep Hatworks, but that wait.

Something in this kind of felt, with a larger brim and thinner ribbon. Maybe a ostrich sweatband if he can do it.
Image
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21930
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 pm
I have the urge to get a new hat. It always happens this time of year when fall is approaching. The problem is that I should have thought about this months ago because I've been wanting custom one from Black Sheep Hatworks, but that wait.

Something in this kind of felt, with a larger brim and thinner ribbon. Maybe a ostrich sweatband if he can do it.
Image
Didnt Ralph from that one show wear one of these?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Image

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Hats

Post by John-Boy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:05 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 pm
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 pm
I have the urge to get a new hat. It always happens this time of year when fall is approaching. The problem is that I should have thought about this months ago because I've been wanting custom one from Black Sheep Hatworks, but that wait.

Something in this kind of felt, with a larger brim and thinner ribbon. Maybe a ostrich sweatband if he can do it.
Image
Didnt Ralph from that one show wear one of these?
No. Ralph wore a hachimaki.
Image
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Post Reply