Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 pm

I want one like this.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Brigid wrote:Image
I want one like this.
You’d rock it. Hard.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm

jruegg wrote:
Brigid wrote:[img]snip[/img]
I want one like this.
You’d rock it. Hard.
Thanks!

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 am

Brigid wrote:
jruegg wrote:
I want one like this.
You’d rock it. Hard.
Thanks!
Agreed.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 am

JudgeRusty wrote: I purchased a soft felt fedora to use when I was WM at my lodge a few years ago.
A black fedora, no doubt.

I'm a former mason (32nd degree SR - home lodge Columbia #14, Boulder, Colorado). I miss it.

Our lodge had a great old black felt top hat for the WM. Really fantastic hat.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 am

LushMojo wrote:I still like the previous one I posted (DoucheBerry Farms or not). How about this?

Are you a bass player in a hipster band? :wink:

I too wish there were better occasions to wear hats, but fashion has changed so much. I find fedoras, trilbys, porkpies, etc all look slouchy without a suit. Since no one really wears suits anymore, there seems little point in wearing the hat. I save my hat wearing for the theatre.

Incidentally, I recently was in a production of "The Importance of Being Earnest" where I got to wear a period top hat. It was a beautiful hat and I looked awesome in it. I'd totally get egged if I wore it on the street though.
Last edited by Kirk1701 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am

Kirk1701 wrote:
LushMojo wrote:I still like the previous one I posted (DoucheBerry Farms or not). How about this?

Are you a bass player in a hipster band?
:rotfl:
Sola Deo Gloria

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am

Brigid wrote:
jruegg wrote:
I want one like this.
You’d rock it. Hard.
Thanks!
I'm sure any young lady could wear this hat and look fetching. However, you'd need the flapper dress to accompany it. And the flask tucked in your garter to accompany the dress. Voh-dee-oh-doh!

I wish it were still 1925, at least for the clothing. I'd probably already have been killed in the Somme, however. So I suppose I wouldn't get much enjoyment out of a snazzy hat.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 am

JudgeRusty wrote: I'm not much for photos, but I will try to get a pic of me and the hat for this thread soon.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 am

Kirk1701 wrote:

I too wish there were better occasions to wear hats, but fashion has changed so much. I find fedoras, trilbys, porkpies, etc all look slouchy without a suit. Since no one really wears suits anymore, there seems little point in wearing the hat. I save my hat wearing for the theatre.

Incidentally, I recently was in a production of "The Importance of Being Earnest" where I got to wear a period top hat. It was a beautiful hat and I looked awesome in it. I'd totally get egged if I wore it on the street though.
Guitarist in a Van Halen cover band actually.

As for suits I wear them almost daily on a sportcoat (lots of tweeds in season). New Orleans is a lot like New York in that you see lots of suits. Tend to see lots of bow ties as well (especially around the med school and hospital as you don't worry about a long tie falling to touch a patient).

Point is - lots of suits and hats in NOLA. It's all pretty swell other than that godawful seersucker.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 am

LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:

As for suits I wear them almost daily on a sportcoat (lots of tweeds in season). New Orleans is a lot like New York in that you see lots of suits. Tend to see lots of bow ties as well (especially around the med school and hospital as you don't worry about a long tie falling to touch a patient).

Point is - lots of suits and hats in NOLA. It's all pretty swell other than that godawful seersucker.
I see, then I recommend wide-brimmed fedoras. The narrow ones look silly.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 am

Kirk1701 wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:

What should I wear to my weekly hipster meeting?

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Hat looks good, Yer Honor!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:23 pm

LushMojo wrote:Thinking of picking up this hat.....for cigar time.

I actually like this hat a lot. Don't listen to Kirk on this one, Lush. I have two porkpie's, one straw for warm weather and one felt, and they totally rock. I really like mine. I say go for it. The style would suit you.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Here's the felt one:

And here's the straw one:

And here's me in my cowboy hat at the County Fair with my oldest daughter:

And this newsboy is one I wear all the time:
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Wayne, the one you have on in the hammock is perfect. Exactly the vibe I'm after. Guess i gotta get a hammock, too.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I bought that one on www.hatsinthebelfry.com but it looks like it's not available on their site anymore.
Wayne Teipen

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 pm

LushMojo wrote:Wayne, the one you have on in the hammock is perfect. Exactly the vibe I'm after. Guess i gotta get a hammock, too.
Dude, there's a totally different vibe that comes with a hammock. You gotta be vibin' in a hammock.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 am

Hats. I like 'em. Won't wear 'em.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 am

LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:

What should I wear to my weekly hipster meeting?
Whatever you were wearing before anyone else was wearing it. :wink: