Hats

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 am

SlowToke wrote:I bought that one on www.hatsinthebelfry.com but it looks like it's not available on their site anymore.
I dunno Wayne. The newsboy works, but the porkpies are a bit much for me. You've definitely got the bowling shirts to match, which are correct, but there's an Archie and Jughead vibe to them that gives me douche-chills. But that might be a cultural thing. I applaud your chutzpah.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am

Kirk1701 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:I bought that one on www.hatsinthebelfry.com but it looks like it's not available on their site anymore.
I dunno Wayne. The newsboy works, but the porkpies are a bit much for me. You've definitely got the bowling shirts to match, which are correct, but there's an Archie and Jughead vibe to them that gives me douche-chills. But that might be a cultural thing. I applaud your chutzpah.
We need a new thread called What Manner of Douche-Baggery is This?...in which we discuss images categorically as douche-baggery, tools or tool-baggery, hipsters or Southern flair.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

Kirk1701 wrote:
Naw, Wayne pulls it off. I've seen it.
A less awesome person might not be able to, but the porkpies really work on him.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am

LushMojo wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:
We need a new thread called What Manner of Douche-Baggery is This?...in which we discuss images categorically as douche-baggery, tools or tool-baggery, hipsters or Southern flair.
Sounds excellent.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 am

I wish I could wear short brimed hats like porkpies, but they make me look like the StayPuft man.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 pm

FYI, Filson is a top notch company if you ever have to deal with them.

Also, their tin cloth hats are extremely rugged - moreso than the online photos reveal.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Picked up that hat today. I like it. My wife LOVES it.

Notice how the rays of Christ shine down in brilliant approval of the hat? Now to find a cigar for tonight.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Ya, man! That's a great look, LM.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Kirk1701 wrote:
It's called fearlessness. I'm not afeared to look like a douchebag. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I don't know, LM. I think it works, but only because you have the badass stare to go with it.

Mick
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 am

Double-post edit.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

Mick
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:33 am

Woohoo! Got tired of replacing cheap imitations with more of the same. I just broke down and ordered the Stornaway cap from Harris Tweed. It's the genuine article, and for that price, it oughta be! But, I expect it to be of a higher quality, so the price difference will likely be negated.
More to follow when I receive the cap.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 am

Cleon wrote: Image
Tilley TW2 ...styled with a medium size brim, has unique tuckaway ear warmers, forehead warmer and is treated for snow and rain repellency.
  • Medium brim
    Brim size: Front: 2 5/8" and Back: 2 3/4" Sides: 2 1/8"
    Weighs 6.3 ounces
I really like that hat.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:
There's value in that, I suppose. After all, you did make me a replica of a giant pipe from a Sherlock Holmes tv series, so I suppose I would qualify for at least the runner-up douchebag award.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Brigid wrote:I don't know, LM. I think it works, but only because you have the badass stare to go with it.
While driving an alleged minivan.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Kirk1701 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:
There's value in that, I suppose. After all, you did make me a replica of a giant pipe from a Sherlock Holmes tv series, so I suppose I would qualify for at least the runner-up douchebag award.
lol
Wayne Teipen

Cleon

Post by Cleon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Jake wrote:
Cleon wrote: Tilley TW2
I really like that hat.
I do like that one mostly because of herringbone pattern but I went with the TTW2 in brown mix. It's lighter weight and uses some modern material for the liner/sweat band. I just got it in the mail. It's a very nice and practical hat.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

gravel wrote:
Brigid wrote:I don't know, LM. I think it works, but only because you have the badass stare to go with it.
SUV. There are several things in life that I will not do; drive a minivan is one of them.

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Cleon wrote:
Jake wrote:
Cleon wrote: Tilley TW2
I really like that hat.
I do like that one mostly because of herringbone pattern but I went with the TTW2 in brown mix. It's lighter weight and uses some modern material for the liner/sweat band. I just got it in the mail. It's a very nice and practical hat.
Well, that is a nice one too!
Mostly, I liked the curved brim shape on the TW2. You're probably smart to go with modern materials. Should be super comfy!
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

gravel

Post by gravel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 pm

LushMojo wrote:
gravel wrote:
SUV. There are several things in life that I will not do; drive a minivan is one of them.
The line has blurred. One is for those who need extra seating and cargo space. The other is for those who need extra seating and cargo space. Both are driven by soccer moms. Both make good grocery getters. One says, "yep this is my stage in life, but I paid less." The other says, "yep, this is my stage in life, I paid more so my kid's car seats look bitchin.'"

(Nice hat. Nice grocery getter.)