A Gentleman's Satchel

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Preacher1611
Congregation
Congregation

Re: A Gentleman's Satchel

Post by Preacher1611 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:21 am

I've been carrying around an old Italian airforce bag for a couple years now, like this one:

https://colemans.com/shop/pouches-bags/ ... ulder-bag/
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." - Eccl. 12:13

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

My quest is beginning to get serious. I've found myself drawn toward a higher end "double zip briefcase". Oh my budget... .

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 am

It ain't a satchel, but I dig this piece of leather generica I got off Amazon a couple years ago. Plenty of pockets & dividers; lots of space for a laptop, or a couple extra water filters when we're hiking them to folks in the mountains. Always room for a pipe bag or travel humidor, sunglasses, English books when we're teaching....whatever. It's become indispensable for me no matter what the day brings. It's been dropped, kicked, drug all over the mountains, rained-on, and generally abused, but has stood strong so far. I dig it anyway.

It is a backpack, not a satchel. I guess one could rip off a strap if it made you feel better....Image

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am
My quest is beginning to get serious. I've found myself drawn toward a higher end "double zip briefcase". Oh my budget... .

G.
The deed is done. I have bought a quality briefcase.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am
gaining_age wrote:

G.
Pics, man!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:29 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.
Pics, man!
I'll pull a few from the internet as I don't have a picture sharing site working currently:

--> look at the size of those zipper teeth-- I don't expect much snagging to happen or zipper mishaps.

The one side has a snap pocket and then a strap outside for going over the carry on luggage handle:

Measurements
Strap:19.7 in
Depth:3.9 in
Handle:4.3 in
Width:15 in
Height: 11.8 in

Lots of pockets and very soft to touch inside and out.

The 6s of 1st John:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:01 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:29 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

G.
Pics, man!
I'll pull a few from the internet as I don't have a picture sharing site working currently:

--> look at the size of those zipper teeth-- I don't expect much snagging to happen or zipper mishaps.

The one side has a snap pocket and then a strap outside for going over the carry on luggage handle:

Measurements
Strap:19.7 in
Depth:3.9 in
Handle:4.3 in
Width:15 in
Height: 11.8 in

Lots of pockets and very soft to touch inside and out.

:dance:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

tim_witten
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tim_witten » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 pm

As the picture shows, I’ve been carrying this bag for over a year...Image

Highly recommended...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:19 pm

I carry a black nylon long-strapped bag that has several zippered compartment of various sizes. I think it was intended to be a day bag designed for day trips. It's about half the size of a small brief case. The thing I really like about it is that since I have a concealed carry permit I can include my 9MM within one of its many pockets and not be conspicuous out in public. It just looks like a large camera case, lunch bag or whatever and no one thinks anything of it. It makes the gun extremely accessable without trying to conceal it in a holster under light clothing during hot weather.

Qubit
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Qubit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm

It must be lame living in a state like that. We have constitutional carry in mine. Open or concealed, no license needed and no questions asked. Happens to be one of the safest states too, go figure.
harkpuff wrote:I carry a black nylon long-strapped bag that has several zippered compartment of various sizes. I think it was intended to be a day bag designed for day trips. It's about half the size of a small brief case. The thing I really like about it is that since I have a concealed carry permit I can include my 9MM within one of its many pockets and not be conspicuous out in public. It just looks like a large camera case, lunch bag or whatever and no one thinks anything of it. It makes the gun extremely accessable without trying to conceal it in a holster under light clothing during hot weather.
Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Qubit wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm
It must be lame living in a state like that. We have constitutional carry in mine. Open or concealed, no license needed and no questions asked. Happens to be one of the safest states too, go figure.
harkpuff wrote:Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
The state is Iowa. Our lawmakers are trying to get Constitutional carry passed, but no dice this session. Iowa seems to be the last to do anything. Heck it was not too many years ago we had to show reason for need in order to be allowed a concealed permit at all. We are not yet at Constitutional carry but we have come along way from where we were. I have always had the opinion that the Constitution IS my permit.

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Regarding a Gentleman's Satchel...…."It's not a purse......it's European".

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:21 am
I've been carrying around an old Italian airforce bag for a couple years now, like this one:

https://colemans.com/shop/pouches-bags/ ... ulder-bag/
I love it! It's a nice looking bag. Is it lined with some kind of stiffener material to keep its shape so it doesn't collapse when not completely full?

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 am

Qubit wrote:
harkpuff wrote:I carry a black nylon long-strapped bag that has several zippered compartment of various sizes. I think it was intended to be a day bag designed for day trips. It's about half the size of a small brief case. The thing I really like about it is that since I have a concealed carry permit I can include my 9MM within one of its many pockets and not be conspicuous out in public. It just looks like a large camera case, lunch bag or whatever and no one thinks anything of it. It makes the gun extremely accessable without trying to conceal it in a holster under light clothing during hot weather.
I think you need to re-visit your introductory thread and answer a few questions.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Qubit
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Qubit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Qubit wrote:
I think you need to re-visit your introductory thread and answer a few questions.
Are you talking to me? Ask away.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Qubit wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Qubit wrote:

Are you talking to us? We already did.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Qubit
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Qubit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 am

Yes I'm taking to you. I made my introductions. You are free to ask any further questions you wish. As for now, you are being incredibly confusing and facetious as well. What do you want? Give me a straight answer or leave me alone in the name of Jesus.
sweetandsour wrote:
Qubit wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Qubit wrote:

Are you talking to us? We already did.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 am

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:09 am

coco wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 am
The Art of Manliness on historical man bags
Awesome!
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:21 am

Over the weekend I went with my wife to an enormous child consignment event. We went there to grab a double stroller but I saw in the corner of my eye the diaper bag of coolness.
Image Image
Image Image
I will probably replace my Jack Bauer messenger bag with this one when we no longer need it for a diaper bag. A lot of compartments and perfect spots for books, pipes and cigars to be held secure without rolling around.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS