A Gentleman's Satchel

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Re: A Gentleman's Satchel

Post by mountainman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 am

hogleg wrote:In the Infantry about 30 years ago, many of us carried map cases. Known by all as the *a* Bag. Now that don't ask, don't tell is no longer the law, I wonder what the map case is called.
They're no longer issued. We have GPS now. :D
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:09 am

mountainman wrote:
hogleg wrote:In the Infantry about 30 years ago, many of us carried map cases. Known by all as the *a* Bag. Now that don't ask, don't tell is no longer the law, I wonder what the map case is called.
And batteries.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:35 am

I use a repro civil war officer's haversack. Black painted canvas with leather strap. I usually stick a Domke insert it it and use it for a camera bag. Holds my Leica, two extra lenses, meter, a spare screwmout Leica w/ a collapsible lens, and film. Water resistant, and has a nice worn-in look.
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 am

I have this bag but in black. I use it for work. It is great. It is not at all feminine. I did cut out the snap straps for the outboard pockets. They kept getting in the way. One of them usually carries my flask the the other a can of mtn dew. The bag holds my planner (3 ring size), lunch, music and my tobacco tin survival kit.

I wanted this one: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CASE021-1.html but I didn't want to look like a mall ninja.
YEAH COBS

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:28 pm

This falls in line with Zed's mall ninja comment, but it is pretty cool.

madmarv
Pastor
Pastor

Post by madmarv » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:33 pm

I have one of these military knockoff M51 Engineer's bags in black. The back compartment is perfectly suited for carrying lighters, pipe cleaners, pipe tools and other small items, with 3 larger pockets at the bottom that I pack with two pipes and a leather tobacco pouch. The front has more pockets and pen holders, and the main body is big enough for my needs. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/M-51-ENGINEERS-FI ... B000B5S82G
Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. ~Irish Proverb

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts

Post by CaptainMathias » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Get what ever kinda bag you want just stain it with some blood and I doubt anybody will make fun of you :twisted:
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

Mick
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm

hogleg wrote:
mountainman wrote:
And batteries.
And it's hard to tell which is more frustrating; carrying a *a*-bag, or messing with Pluggers that rarely work right.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Tom Hide makes a really nice looking messenger. Looks like the leather is about equal to Saddleback's quality. WAY better pricing.

http://www.tomhidedesigns.com/Home.html

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Mick wrote:
hogleg wrote:
mountainman wrote:
And batteries.
And it's hard to tell which is more frustrating; carrying a *a*-bag, or messing with Pluggers that rarely work right.
I'm still old fashioned, using compass, topo sheets with declination diagrams, and intersection and resection.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Mick
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mick » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 pm

hogleg wrote:
Mick wrote:
hogleg wrote:
mountainman wrote:
And batteries.
I'm still old fashioned, using compass, topo sheets with declination diagrams, and intersection and resection.
Oh, I'm right there with you on compass&map nav. Just not too sure I would run around with a satchel/map case, since I don't have to in the civilian
world. But, to each his own, I suppose...
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy! - Jeremy Myers

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Filson medium field bag or Lotuff English briefcase are my two choices these days.

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

I own a hard sided , metal skinned, aluminum colored, briefcase,that gets comments occasionally when I'm out in public. Looks like the professional camera/video cases that those in the trade use.
Or looks like the doomsday machine,or a courier's case.All I need is to cuff it to my wrist and maybe someone would shoot me for it.

Stupid thing is made in China and I've had to have it replaced 3 times under warranty because of hinges breaking, innards coming detached, etc.
Eventually they'll run out of replacement briefcases,(product is no longer displayed on website),and then I can move up to a sharp leather briefcase that the company makes.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:42 pm

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 am

Murse.

Also *a*-bag.

In the infantry many leaders carried the map case when afield. It was universally called "the *a*-bag" even buy those using it. Back in the day at the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Fort Benning, every Lieutenant attending had to carry one. Many quietly despised them. Many did not.

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 am

Closest thing I have is an old Zero attaché case that was given to me used 15+ years ago. The inside now has foam as I only use it to carry handguns to the range. One guy calls it my hit man case.

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 pm

hogleg wrote:Closest thing I have is an old Zero attaché case that was given to me used 15+ years ago. The inside now has foam as I only use it to carry handguns to the range. One guy calls it my hit man case.

Yep, I've got a couple of those Zero Halliburtons. Use 'em to carry guns, radio equipment, and sometimes, even clothes.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 pm

For years I carried an army surplus parachute bag. I'm not sure it could ever fit a parachute, but it was perfect for books, a laptop, even had a small pocket in the front that seemed to be made specifically for my Bible. I used it often when hiking (day hikes), took it to church, it carried my pipes for a few years, and best of all it had a bunch of metal buttons all over the front flap. Recently I felt like I was getting old for that kind of goofiness, and when Lush sold one of his leather bags, I bit. It felt like one of those, "when I became a man I put away childish things" moments. I still have it, but the leather one is much nicer.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton