Dollar Shave Club

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25601
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Dollar Shave Club

Post by jruegg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:50 pm

This seems interesting:
http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Image
Image

User avatar
Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Posts: 13464
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Howard City, Michigan
Contact:

Post by Zed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 pm

DE is still cheaper.

I can get 100 Persona blades on ebay for $14.76 shipped.

User avatar
4thmedbn
Minister of Cheesy Bunions
Minister of Cheesy Bunions
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Sanford, ME

Post by 4thmedbn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:44 pm

As much as I love the whole Dollar Shave Club thing, I just don't shave. So it's a dollar too much a month for me.

User avatar
Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
Posts: 40549
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Post by Del » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Zed wrote:DE is still cheaper.

I can get 100 Persona blades on ebay for $14.76 shipped.
+ yup. Once we have invested in a DE razor and a badger brush, the cost of soap and blades is negligible.

And since we can all expect to be shaving for the next several decades, it is worth investing in a razor that lasts a lifetime (or three. Pipeson is using his great-grandfather's DE from 1956.)
REMEMBER THE FISA ABUSE!
REMEMBER KAVANAUGH!
REMEMBER THE IMPEACHMENT!

But you can safely ignore all those California warning labels. Just sayin'...

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I use Shark Blades in My Fat Boy and Techs. I got the razors for $15 each and they will out last me...the blades were $13 for 100...

And I like to shave now...good Badger brush and my choice of soaps.........its a treat I get to enjoy every day.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: lost in the bush
Contact:

Post by CaptainMathias » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

The commercials is funny it might make a good gift for my brother or a natural french women
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 23391
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by Jocose » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm

I have new blades on the way. Highly recommend.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24971
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 pm

I’ve used them for several years. Cheapest two blade on my head and the middle four blade on my face. They last me longer than suggested, so I currently get them every other month.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by JMG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Not that I shave often, but I use a safety razor. A pack of 5 blades last me a crazy long time. I prefer the Feather brand blades.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by arank87 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 am

JMG wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 pm
Not that I shave often, but I use a safety razor. A pack of 5 blades last me a crazy long time. I prefer the Feather brand blades.
That’s what I use too. Nothing aside from a straight razor is as sharp.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
rgcurrey
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 am

arank87 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 am
JMG wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 pm
Not that I shave often, but I use a safety razor. A pack of 5 blades last me a crazy long time. I prefer the Feather brand blades.
That’s what I use too. Nothing aside from a straight razor is as sharp.
Same here, at least on my checks. When I used to shave years ago I used a safety razor, shave brush and soap. I have used Israeli Crystal blades, however, have some "Shark" brand from Egypt now and at the rate I go through them may never need to buy a blade again.

Seriously guys, safety razors are the way to go.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 am
arank87 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 am
JMG wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 pm
Not that I shave often, but I use a safety razor. A pack of 5 blades last me a crazy long time. I prefer the Feather brand blades.
That’s what I use too. Nothing aside from a straight razor is as sharp.
Same here, at least on my checks. When I used to shave years ago I used a safety razor, shave brush and soap. I have used Israeli Crystal blades, however, have some "Shark" brand from Egypt now and at the rate I go through them may never need to buy a blade again.

Seriously guys, safety razors are the way to go.
+1 :pipe:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister
Posts: 1514
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: central North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Dollar Shave Club

Post by Adam Z » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am

I was an early subscriber to Dollar Shave Club about 7 years ago. I stuck with them for a while and was quite happy. I eventually cancelled just because I wasn't going through razors as fast as they were sending them. I still have a bunch of the 2-blade cartridges and the 4-blade cartridges that I'm using. I do need a new handle for the 4-blade cartridges though. it's starting to wear out - the spring has lost it's springiness.

From what I understand, all their razors come from Dorco, and if you order direct from Dorco USA you can actually get a better deal than ordering from DSC - but Dorco doesn't have a monthly subscription service.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

User avatar
424cat
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 pm
Location: middle tennessee

Re:

Post by 424cat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm
Zed wrote:DE is still cheaper.

I can get 100 Persona blades on ebay for $14.76 shipped.
+ yup. Once we have invested in a DE razor and a badger brush, the cost of soap and blades is negligible.

And since we can all expect to be shaving for the next several decades, it is worth investing in a razor that lasts a lifetime (or three. Pipeson is using his great-grandfather's DE from 1956.)
I use a DE that has been in the wife's family since WW1. The date code "G359572" puts it as a model 102, being made in 1918. I use it every day, love it
on bended knee

Post Reply