Manliness

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.

I am manly because:

I can perform auto repair naked in the woods with only a coat hanger and silly putty
25%
I have facial hair
45%
My mom tells me I am
5%
Bacon
25%

Total votes: 20

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Manliness

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 am

Manliness. An OFG trait.
I try to turn to my roots, rearing and the occasional Art of Manliness articles for information, but who knew that the Wall Street Journal had all the answers.

This made me smile, a rare occurrence.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... itorsPicks
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Manliness

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:17 pm

It's okay to respond, guys.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Dave Berry is funny
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Because I'm not afraid to like the new song from the "One Direction" guy.

https://youtu.be/Y8R-zl7SDUU

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Someone willing to copy and paste it? I'm not paying for the WSJ.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm
+1
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
It was free when I posted it, google has a lot of links to it, all leading back to wsj's coin slot.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:03 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
It was free when I posted it, google has a lot of links to it, all leading back to wsj's coin slot.
I'll see if I can find it. I actually removed my beard as an anti hipster maneuver.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm

It loses something when someone else reads it, but Hugo, I am nothing if not dependable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzAQmdjpW44

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 pm

What are we talking about here. I can't read the article.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
This.
And I love a Dave Barry.

He had me at . .
Dave Barry wrote:Granted, this answer will be wrong because it comes from the Internet, which is infested with teenagers, lunatics and Anthony Weiner. But it's convenient.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 am

It seems the only place on the whole internet to read it is on WSJ's pay site.

Will some of you that have not FOE'd me, notifiy JMG, Hugo and Durango, that I posted a youtube link to a guy reading the whole article.

All in all, it may not be worth the hype we created yesterday now, but it was a clever writing at the time.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:25 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 am
It seems the only place on the whole internet to read it is on WSJ's pay site.

Will some of you that have not FOE'd me, notifiy JMG, Hugo and Durango, that I posted a youtube link to a guy reading the whole article.

All in all, it may not be worth the hype we created yesterday now, but it was a clever writing at the time.
Google is everyone's friend. Someone at another forum decided that it was worth a C&P:

http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/ ... hood.2948/

I wasn't about to hear someone read it to me. I read faster that most talk, and that doesn't allow me to skim, either.

The article's premise is interesting. I worked with a woman who referred to myself and other (rurally raised) teacher as a "rare breed of man" because we knew how to do stuff. Easy stuff I thought: change brakes on a car, butcher deer, household electrical repairs. She went on a few times such that I thought about reminding her that both he and I were married. She was not a young woman either; she was old enough to have birthed myself and the other man with whom she was impressed. It confused and concerned me that she had been on earth that long and not had a conversation with a man who changed his own oil.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 03, 2017 8:36 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm
It loses something when someone else reads it, but Hugo, I am nothing if not dependable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzAQmdjpW44
Thank you for your reliability, JudgeRusty.
Oh no, doctor, not the hominy!

Since there was no mention of duct tape I found myself unable to vote.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Mon May 22, 2017 1:21 pm

I gifted all my grandsons with copies of Bolidi Sanders, Ph.D.'s book: Men of the Code about being or becoming a "real man" . A quote from page 59 is a sampling:

"Whenever you compromise your integrity, you hurt yourself mentally and spiritually. Your compromise can be compared to chipping away at your very foundation. The more you do it, the shakier your life becomes. Each time that you compromise your integrity in some way, it becomes easier and easier to do it again. The next time you are faced with a choice between right and wrong, your mind will start to tell you that you already compromised your integrity, so what is one more small compromise going to matter. ... Your mind has a way of justifying and rationalizing your actions."

I wrote something personal in the forward space of each book to that particular grandson, and hope they will read it; if even one page a day.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:21 pm
I gifted all my grandsons with copies of Bolidi Sanders, Ph.D.'s book: Men of the Code about being or becoming a "real man" . A quote from page 59 is a sampling:

"Whenever you compromise your integrity, you hurt yourself mentally and spiritually. Your compromise can be compared to chipping away at your very foundation. The more you do it, the shakier your life becomes. Each time that you compromise your integrity in some way, it becomes easier and easier to do it again. The next time you are faced with a choice between right and wrong, your mind will start to tell you that you already compromised your integrity, so what is one more small compromise going to matter. ... Your mind has a way of justifying and rationalizing your actions."

I wrote something personal in the forward space of each book to that particular grandson, and hope they will read it; if even one page a day.

You are a good granddad, Tatanka.
And you've saved your grandsons from a career in politics!