Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:46 pm

I habitually have for my shaving history began shaving always with the grain, which for me is UP. Down is against the grain and is the most crucial for a smooth shave. I'm wondering if anyone begins AGAINST the angle of the growth and after WITH the grain?

If you shave FIRST against the lean, how does that go? It feels like I have a 1/4" of growth now below my beard, and I'm tempted to try against this growth. If you hear any loud screams of pain, you'll know I answered my own question. :D :D
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by JimVH » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:53 pm

If I go against the grain at any point I wind up with ingrown hairs, skin bumps, and general skin discomfort.

It's no bueno.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:05 pm

JimVH wrote:If I go against the grain at any point I wind up with ingrown hairs, skin bumps, and general skin discomfort.

It's no bueno.
Hmm? Thanks for sharing. My beard is suddenly (?) growing un-even on the right side of my face. Can't control the hairs in one spot....it's like one patch suddenly grows extra fast - over the rest of the hair on my jaw! What IS IT with Mother Nature anyway? :D :D
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:34 pm

I shaved against the grain once.

ONCE!

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02 pm

jruegg wrote:I shaved against the grain once.

ONCE!

You're funny! :) :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Tatanka wrote:

ONCE!

I wouldn't go that far.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:14 pm

jruegg wrote:
Tatanka wrote:

ONCE!

I wouldn't go that far.
Do Not Encourage Him.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 pm

I really like that movie.

Back on topic...first pass with the grain, second pass against the grain. I use a mug, brush, and DE safety razor.....ended my ingrown hair problems. Of course, I only shave my neck now.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Grow a beard. Problem solved.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Grow a beard. Problem solved.

I've had my beard for so many years I can't remember now, Depo-Light, but I still have to shave, about weekly, above on my cheek bone area, and then the neck below. It's the neck that gives me the challenge, with shaving-mug, brush, and double edge. It's just near impossible to get that smoothness where I can't feel any stubble in spots. so be it. My wife doesn't kiss me under my chin anyway, so why do I try so hard? :?
Soli Deo Gloria!

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:07 am

Yep, neck and cheek bones here as well, and a few stray hairs under my lower lip. Mug & brush & vintage safety razors used about 3x per week. The best I've got for really smooth w/ no ingrowns is w/ a straight razor. But the honing is a pain; never mastered it. So I haven't used one in a couple years. Maybe after I retire in 14 months I'll give it another go.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:47 am

Back before I grew my beard, my normal shave was with the grain.

When I wanted a really smooth shave, I would go with the grain, then against the grain, and then across the grain.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:51 am

Tatanka wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Grow a beard. Problem solved.

I've had my beard for so many years I can't remember now, Depo-Light, but I still have to shave, about weekly, above on my cheek bone area, and then the neck below. It's the neck that gives me the challenge, with shaving-mug, brush, and double edge. It's just near impossible to get that smoothness where I can't feel any stubble in spots. so be it. My wife doesn't kiss me under my chin anyway, so why do I try so hard? :?
Harry's razors. Just opened my first this week. I usually shave neck line 1 or 2x week. Being at Corp Office, it's every other day. Like the H'.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Where's hogleg? Paging hogleg. Has somebody checked in to make sure he's ok? He should have posted by now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Also check out Mantic59's site: http://sharpologist.com/

He also has a Youtube channel. Excellent technique tips!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:08 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:Also check out Mantic59's site: http://sharpologist.com/

I listened and watched a number of his teaching the finer points of shaving and learned a lot. I sent an email question/comment but have not heard back yet. I was surprised to see the shaving (soap) in a tube. He squeezed out just a bit about the size of a dime, and whipped up enough really thick, creamy lather to shave 2 or 3 times and never squeezed more out of the container. I've never known of a shaving cream that you whip into a lather with the shaving brush.

I must not be "whipping" with the brush long enough, for I have never, since returning to double-edge/brush/soap shaving again, that even comes remotely close to a thick lather. It's very thin. I'm going to have to experiment in how much water to use and how long to swirl/whip the brush.

I'm also wondering if the cake shaving soap just does not produce the rich, thick lather than this 'stuff' out of a tube? Anyone try the tube soap?
Soli Deo Gloria!

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Tatanka wrote:

I listened and watched a number of his teaching the finer points of shaving and learned a lot. I sent an email question/comment but have not heard back yet. I was surprised to see the shaving (soap) in a tube. He squeezed out just a bit about the size of a dime, and whipped up enough really thick, creamy lather to shave 2 or 3 times and never squeezed more out of the container. I've never known of a shaving cream that you whip into a lather with the shaving brush.

I must not be "whipping" with the brush long enough, for I have never, since returning to double-edge/brush/soap shaving again, that even comes remotely close to a thick lather. It's very thin. I'm going to have to experiment in how much water to use and how long to swirl/whip the brush.

I'm also wondering if the cake shaving soap just does not produce the rich, thick lather than this 'stuff' out of a tube? Anyone try the tube soap?
I have watched those videos and read a lot at the badger and blade webpage. A lot of folks swear by those shave "creams." The classic brand is Proraso or Poraso or something like that--look on Amazon for best prices and varieties. http://www.amazon.com/C-O-Bigelow-Premi ... ving+cream
You are right, there is a sweet spot of just the right amount of water in the brush to get the right lather with shave soap. Also, this is where the differences reveal themselves between different shave brushes. You can get a good lather with a good soap, the right amount of water and a cheap brush, but it might take more skill than with a badger brush and a quality shave cream.
I recently bought a lower priced silvertip badger brush but am still using my regular Williams Shave Soap. The brush holds a lot more water than my old Tweezerman did, but there is still a learning curve to getting the lather correct.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:24 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tatanka wrote:

but there is still a learning curve to getting the lather correct.
Rusty I sure agree with you on the "learning curve." I use a nice Badger hair brush, in a beautifully lathe cut handle AND wood stand, made by the a rtist "Co Co." What a beautiful job he did. But I can't drop the brush into the sink with warm water to soak prior to using it . I dip it in, but only soak the bristles a few seconds. I'm not sure this is a key factor, but what do I know.

I'm going to work hard next time, taking more time to "whip the daylights out of the soap" :) looking for that THICK creamy suds
Soli Deo Gloria!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:39 am

I'm a straight razor/mug and brush shaver. I shave with the grain first pass which is downward for me then along the grain second pass which is from ear to mouth. On special occasions I'll do a third pass against the grain for a baby butt smooth shave.

For a good lather, I run hot water over my badger brush and let it sit while I sharpen the razor so the water has time to wick all the way into the badger hairs. Once the razor is sharpened I'll run the brush under hot water again just to get it hot again. I then gently flick excess water out of the brush three times. There's an art to flicking it just right to end up with just the right amount of water left in the brush and it varies slightly with each brand and quality of brush. Find the zone and repeat it each time based on the quality of your lather. If your lather is thin but you have enough quantity of lather to complete the shave, you probably have too much water. If it's thin but you don't have enough quantity to complete the shave then you may not be whipping it long enough. I use a circular motion while pushing into the soap with the brush. I've found that the pushing motion is key because it helps infuse air into the lather making it more firm and light.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:23 pm

SlowToke - I see several errors I'm continuing from reading your description of how to get a rich lather. And I've been rushing this entire process waqy too much! Maybe I should sip some "SloW-Gin" before and during the process. :D
Soli Deo Gloria!