Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Tatanka wrote:... And I've been rushing this entire process way too much!
My problem exactly. I love the idea of mug and brush, but by the time I get ready to shave I'm ready to be where I'm going. There's no taking my time.

Lord give me patience and give it to me now.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:44 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tatanka wrote:... And I've been rushing this entire process way too much!
My problem exactly. I love the idea of mug and brush, but by the time I get ready to shave I'm ready to be where I'm going. There's no taking my time.

Lord give me patience and give it to me now.
Couldn't help but having the poem "Slow me down, Lord" pop up in my memory just now. Ha, Ha!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Real men don't shave.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:37 pm

AFRS wrote:Real men don't shave.

Call me 1/2 a man! Given the empty face that is not covered with my beard and Mooosh-tash ! :) :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:02 pm

With grain (downward)' cross grain (nose to ear), and then against grain for me. I do this every time I shave because if I don't I'll have a 5 o'clock shadow by 3.

I haven't shaved in a month though.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Al_S_
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Al_S_ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:28 am

ATG first, while possible might be a bit painful. Part of the idea of the WTG pass is to reduce the beard, which then makes the ATG pass more comfortable. If you aren't getting a really smooth shave, you may want to take time to pay close attention to the direction your hair is growing, especially in areas that aren't getting smooth. I know for me, while most of my WTG/ATG passes are north/south, on either side of my adam's apple, the direction is east/west. Learning this helped me approach more effectively with the blade.

Others have mentioned using a bowl or mug to build lather, I actually prefer to face lather as it helps moisturize my whickers and stand them up. Finding a good soap (or cream) that has slickness and cushion is also a big help. There are a lot of great options out there. Moisture in the soap is also critical, I use straights and prefer my lather on the very wet side.

Since you are using a DE, you may also want to play with different blades to see which one works best with your razor and beard. This can make a very big difference in both the comfort and effectiveness of the shave.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 am

Al_S_ wrote:ATG first, while possible might be a bit painful. Part of the idea of the WTG pass is to reduce the beard, which then makes the ATG pass more comfortable. If you aren't getting a really smooth shave, you may want to take time to pay close attention to the direction your hair is growing, especially in areas that aren't getting smooth. I know for me, while most of my WTG/ATG passes are north/south, on either side of my adam's apple, the direction is east/west. Learning this helped me approach more effectively with the blade.

Others have mentioned using a bowl or mug to build lather, I actually prefer to face lather as it helps moisturize my whickers and stand them up. Finding a good soap (or cream) that has slickness and cushion is also a big help. There are a lot of great options out there. Moisture in the soap is also critical, I use straights and prefer my lather on the very wet side.

Since you are using a DE, you may also want to play with different blades to see which one works best with your razor and beard. This can make a very big difference in both the comfort and effectiveness of the shave.
I look at all the new guys on the front page and how many of them STILL haven't posted their required bio. Then I look at this guy tossin' his razor in the ring on his fourth post.

Keep it up, New_Guy_, keep it up.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:51 am

Skip wrote:
Al_S_ wrote:ATG first, while possible might be a bit painful. Part of the idea of the WTG pass is to reduce the beard, which then makes the ATG pass more comfortable. If you aren't getting a really smooth shave, you may want to take time to pay close attention to the direction your hair is growing, especially in areas that aren't getting smooth. I know for me, while most of my WTG/ATG passes are north/south, on either side of my adam's apple, the direction is east/west. Learning this helped me approach more effectively with the blade.

I look at all the new guys on the front page and how many of them STILL haven't posted their required bio. Then I look at this guy tossin' his razor in the ring on his fourth post.

Keep it up, New_Guy_, keep it up.
I use these razors:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:33 pm

I am a Mug & Brush with a safety razor, Gellette "Fat Boy" with Shark brend blades shaver. I shave with then across....if it needs to last longer than 24 hours...I go across again and then against the grain...then I can skip a day...but I can also count on my face being a little sore for a few hours....so normally its with and across and done.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:44 am

And then there's shaving w/ COLD water. I've tried it, and it works. But these days of single digit F. temps, I just don't want to.
Here's the info though:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/03/2 ... r-shaving/
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 am

dennisthemenace wrote:And then there's shaving w/ COLD water. I've tried it, and it works. But these days of single digit F. temps, I just don't want to.
Here's the info though:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/03/2 ... r-shaving/
I cold water shave sometimes, mostly out of laziness. It works just fine. I splash cold water on my face and run a bar of ivory soap over it against the grain, making the whiskers stand up. Then shave with the grain.

I will say that I don't cut myself as much with cold water. I still like the soothing feel of hot water though and prefer it when I have the time and energy.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:28 pm

With the grain on first pass and if I do a second pass I actually shave perpendicular to the grain, I get a close shave without the ingrown hairs and razor bumps I'm prone to because of my curly hair.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 pm

I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
You're a freak.

And I mean that with all the brotherly love I can muster.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
You're a freak.

Manliness amidst the hipsters would look, I imagine, freakish to them. It certainly does to the uninformed observer. Sort of like the Hulk sitting with a group of young women.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 pm

That is all.
I do that too. And sometimes, when I really want to show my mettle, I grab one of the pink disposables that my wife has already dulled. Hurts so good.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm

UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

That is all.
You're a freak.

Manliness amidst the hipsters would look, I imagine, freakish to them. It certainly does to the uninformed observer. Sort of like the Hulk sitting with a group of young women.
WTFS?

I'm sure you do look like a freak with all of those scars left over from your dry shaving days.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:43 pm

Cleon wrote:

That is all.
I do that too. And sometimes, when I really want to show my mettle, I grab one of the pink disposables that my wife has already dulled. Hurts so good.
I'm recently married so I didn't have to endure that until recently, although it is that she has dulled my manly Bic Sensitive Skin disposable razors.

:taco:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

That is all.
You're a freak.

WTFS?

I'm sure you do look like a freak with all of those scars left over from your dry shaving days.
No scars. You see, TNLP, if you have manly, steel-titaniumesque skin like me (or just use a sharp razor; your call) you don't have scars while shaving.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 pm

UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

That is all.
You're a freak.

WTFS?

No scars. You see, TNLP, if you have manly, steel-titaniumesque skin like me (or just use a sharp razor; your call) you don't have scars while shaving.
I hear Wiilie's voice in the background, "Now you wear your skin like iron..."