Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17264
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm

UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
You're a freak.

And I mean that with all the brotherly love I can muster.
Manliness amidst the hipsters would look, I imagine, freakish to them. It certainly does to the uninformed observer. Sort of like the Hulk sitting with a group of young women.
WTFS?

I'm sure you do look like a freak with all of those scars left over from your dry shaving days.
No scars. You see, TNLP, if you have manly, steel-titaniumesque skin like me (or just use a sharp razor; your call) you don't have scars while shaving.
Or a thin baby beard?

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34403
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
You're a freak.

And I mean that with all the brotherly love I can muster.
Manliness amidst the hipsters would look, I imagine, freakish to them. It certainly does to the uninformed observer. Sort of like the Hulk sitting with a group of young women.
WTFS?

I'm sure you do look like a freak with all of those scars left over from your dry shaving days.
No scars. You see, TNLP, if you have manly, steel-titaniumesque skin like me (or just use a sharp razor; your call) you don't have scars while shaving.
I hear Wiilie's voice in the background, "Now you wear your skin like iron..."
Poncho and Lefty. That is a good song.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34403
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have a beard but I shave my neck so are you all ready? Brace yerself, TNLP: For 20+ years I have dry shaved, against the grain. Yep, bottom of neck up to jawline with a disposable razor.

That is all.
You're a freak.

And I mean that with all the brotherly love I can muster.
Manliness amidst the hipsters would look, I imagine, freakish to them. It certainly does to the uninformed observer. Sort of like the Hulk sitting with a group of young women.
WTFS?

I'm sure you do look like a freak with all of those scars left over from your dry shaving days.
No scars. You see, TNLP, if you have manly, steel-titaniumesque skin like me (or just use a sharp razor; your call) you don't have scars while shaving.
Or a thin baby beard?
Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Am in the shaving groove now. Enjoying it more, but - for me - a strange thing has developed, I never felt before - - my entire shaving life: On the right side of my neck, - seems to be right above my artery, for the life of me I cannot get the baby's butt smooth in what I think I should name the "stubborn trench." Never felt this before. Now no matter how often I lather and shave it, in every angle I can imagine - this very fine "felt" tiny stubble remains. I guess I'll have to live with it.

I never felt it all the years I shaved with those 3, 4, and 5 blade standards, but now with the double-edge, It's like I cannot dig deep enough to not STILL feel this tiny stubble! Driving me nuts! :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by j1n » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Grow a beard. Problem solved.
+1
throw out yer blades and let nature reclaim civilization
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

I like the price point on the cartridges too.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14434
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Pepik wrote:Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

I like the price point on the cartridges too.
Mid December? And still sharp?

Call me skeptical. How often do you shave?

Enough questions for you?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

I like the price point on the cartridges too.
Mid December? And still sharp?

Call me skeptical. How often do you shave?

Enough questions for you?
Yes. Yes - enough not to irritate and achieve a good shave IMO.
OK - You're Skeptical; you might want to change your official IDs now. Daily, Morning, as part of my ritual Triple-S. Would you like photos?

If you form them in iambic pentameter, I could do this all day; so a definite "maybe".
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21574
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:Been using those Gilette five bladed costly things and recently switched to a much more economical 6 bladed Dorco product out of South Korea. FAR better shave (with and against the grain - I shave both ways) and I'm achieving a much closer shave that lasts longer through the day. Still using the same blade head from Mid-December when I got it, and hasn't needed a change out nor have I had to "whet" the blades back into alignment.

I like the price point on the cartridges too.
Mid December? And still sharp?

Call me skeptical. How often do you shave?

Enough questions for you?
Yes. Yes - enough not to irritate and achieve a good shave IMO.
OK - You're Skeptical; you might want to change your official IDs now. Daily, Morning, as part of my ritual Triple-S. Would you like photos?

If you form them in iambic pentameter, I could do this all day; so a definite "maybe".
I was finding that any multi blade razor was irritating even brand new. Single DE blades fixed that problem, but they do require replacement every five to seven days.

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:17 pm

So I'd say it's a personal preference thing, there won't ever be a perfect, one fit all, solution.

Sounds right to me.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by gravel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 pm

I use an electric, so I shave against and across the grain.

User avatar
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Posts: 10836
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: ~3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here.
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by hogleg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 am

Shave once a week and lengthen the edges' lives on your blades. I shave once every weekend or every other weekend. Try it for a couple of months. You'll be surprised at how comfortable you'll get with the concept.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32386
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by John-Boy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Ouch.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21462
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 pm

ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:28 pm

JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.
GENTLY, man! GENTLY! SLOW!!! My neck is burning just looking at this photo!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:32 pm

practice, get the technique down.



BTW, you're not the first to butcher yourself a bit
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.
GENTLY, man! GENTLY! SLOW!!! My neck is burning just looking at this photo!
I was gentle. I wasn't using a belt sander! You betrayed be Tatanka!!!Image

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34403
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.
GENTLY, man! GENTLY! SLOW!!! My neck is burning just looking at this photo!
I was gentle. I wasn't using a belt sander! You betrayed be Tatanka!!!Image

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Next time use a razor.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16269
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:33 pm

UncleBob wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:Dang you all! I was shaving and this thread came to mind, and I thought "CPS does it, so can I! I'll go with then against. What's the worst that can happen?"

Image

I thought this was a fraternity?! A loyal, trustworthy, brotherhood. To you that say shave against the grain, gentleman, I say, screw you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
That draws a significant vacuum.
GENTLY, man! GENTLY! SLOW!!! My neck is burning just looking at this photo!
I was gentle. I wasn't using a belt sander! You betrayed be Tatanka!!!Image

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Next time use a razor.
Dude bleeds easily.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply