Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 8365
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by mont974x4 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 pm

I quit shaving but when I was shaving I used wilkinson sword. I got 100 of them on Amazon for about $12. They worked quite well too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Tue May 23, 2017 6:38 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 pm
I quit shaving but when I was shaving I used wilkinson sword. I got 100 of them on Amazon for about $12. They worked quite well too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the name, Mont. I guess I'm super particular(?) or sensitive (?) because, as I admit, my key area for testing the sharpness or cut-ability of a blade on this one particular part of my throat, that remains totally questioning and curious to me. As much as I stretch it, soap it with shaving suds, over and over AND over I go, and for some reason it always leaves a line I'm guessing about an inch and ahalf long - is this one section that remains feeling "stubble." It just bugs me. The rest of my face/cheeks and neck are smooth - like the typical baby's bottom; EXCEPT this one section that for some mysterious (to me) reason,will not cut smooth!

Meanwhile ISIS bombs innocent people and an 8 year old beautiful little child, and this seems so totally insignificant! So why am I even wasting time yaking about it? I plead guilty! of wasting precious time! At my age, every minute is now precious. :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6117
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 am

Tatanka wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm
I'm still disappointed over every double edge blades I've purchased. As for this gel; I have not tried but am curious to try a type of shaving soap that is in a tube, - not a gel - but a dab the size of a dime or nickel, whipped up with a shaving brush, makes - what surely looks like a thick, creamy, wonderful cream. My soap bar's give me a challenge to get it thick enough.
Proraso.
Amazon will send it right to your door for you to try.
I just ordered more Ogolala Bay Rum after shave from Amazon. Should have checked here first. I'll check it out. Thanks for suggestions.
Proraso does for me exactly what you described you are looking for in a shave cream.
As to blades, my everyday razor is a Merkur and I have tried about a half dozen blades in it, including Feather. However, the Merkur blades suit it best for me. In a Gillette Fat Boy, the Feather showed me why so many people like it. My point is that the razor can make a difference in how the blade performs, as well as your shaving style,technique and your face.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7708
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am

Couple of years ago, I ordered a sample pack...tested all the blades with my two Fat Boys and decided that the Shark blades worked the best and ordered 2 100 pack boxes on Ebay and have never looked back. I have tried lots of soaps and I like Ogolala Bay Rum but my wife doesn't like the scent. I now order from Santa Fe Soap Works and they have some really good products.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am

My shaving procedure is as follows:

I splash my face with hot water and then apply a conventional, canned shaving foam to the portions that I intend to shave. I shave with the grain, most often with a disposable plastic razor. Bic or Gillette disposable razors work well enough for my purposes. I give my face a second dousing with hot water and reapply shaving foam. This time I shave against the grain. I then rinse my face with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel.

This makes for an extremely close, bump and knick free shave most of the time. I have to shave fairly often. You have no idea how bad stubble under stage makeup under glaring spotlights can look.

While I do have an antique safety razor, a badger brush, and a shaving scuttle and I am happy to have them, I suppose, I only rarely use them. I often have to shave on the road or in the bathroom of a dressing room and the portability and disposability of modern, disposable, plastic shaving tackle is most optimum for my purposes.

Years ago I had another mug and brush in addition to a gold plated razor, no less. I always took them on the road with me. Once, when I was playing a theater in California, I absent-mindedly left it all behind in a dressing room after having shaved before the show. I felt like an ass and have used disposable razors and generic shaving foam ever since.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

All these tips and personal experiences provide interesting reading and good tips to follow-up on. The Creator's idea of facial hair for men would have us all looking probably like some of those Alaska wilderness dwellers; or a swamp person(?) :)

You have me thinking about my razor. I'd have to refresh my mind to remember the brand. But it has always been too heavy for me. I wonder now about how the blade fits - maybe this is a contributing factor for my lack of total satisfaction with the shave I get or the blades? how many razors and blades will I have to purchase to try, before I finally reach a final conclusion/decision? Will I live long enough to do that? :confused: :lol:
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 am
Tatanka wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm
I'm still disappointed over every double edge blades I've purchased. As for this gel; I have not tried but am curious to try a type of shaving soap that is in a tube, - not a gel - but a dab the size of a dime or nickel, whipped up with a shaving brush, makes - what surely looks like a thick, creamy, wonderful cream. My soap bar's give me a challenge to get it thick enough.
Proraso.
Amazon will send it right to your door for you to try.
I just ordered more Ogolala Bay Rum after shave from Amazon. Should have checked here first. I'll check it out. Thanks for suggestions.
Proraso does for me exactly what you described you are looking for in a shave cream.
As to blades, my everyday razor is a Merkur and I have tried about a half dozen blades in it, including Feather. However, the Merkur blades suit it best for me. In a Gillette Fat Boy, the Feather showed me why so many people like it. My point is that the razor can make a difference in how the blade performs, as well as your shaving style,technique and your face.
Rusty, I will definitely have to try the Proraso soap! Thanks.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4781
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Joshoowah » Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am
All these tips and personal experiences provide interesting reading and good tips to follow-up on. The Creator's idea of facial hair for men would have us all looking probably like some of those Alaska wilderness dwellers; or a swamp person(?) :)

You have me thinking about my razor. I'd have to refresh my mind to remember the brand. But it has always been too heavy for me. I wonder now about how the blade fits - maybe this is a contributing factor for my lack of total satisfaction with the shave I get or the blades? how many razors and blades will I have to purchase to try, before I finally reach a final conclusion/decision? Will I live long enough to do that? :confused: :lol:
Yeah, get a new razor and see if that fixes your problem. Merkurs are good.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7708
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 25, 2017 3:35 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am


While I do have an antique safety razor, a badger brush, and a shaving scuttle and I am happy to have them, I suppose, I only rarely use them. I often have to shave on the road or in the bathroom of a dressing room and the portability and disposability of modern, disposable, plastic shaving tackle is most optimum for my purposes.
This made me a little sad
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4654
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by dennisthemenace » Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm

If you feel that your razor was always too heavy for you, a word of advice: Don't buy a Merkur. Heaviest of all my razors. Look on ebay or in antique stores for an old Schick injector razor. I have the one from the '40s w/ a yellow bakelite handle. Blades you can get on Amazon fairly cheaply. Not as cheap as the DEs though. Shave is the closest to a straight razor that you'll find, without as much effort.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Sat May 27, 2017 11:31 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm
If you feel that your razor was always too heavy for you, a word of advice: Don't buy a Merkur. Heaviest of all my razors. Look on ebay or in antique stores for an old Schick injector razor. I have the one from the '40s w/ a yellow bakelite handle. Blades you can get on Amazon fairly cheaply. Not as cheap as the DEs though. Shave is the closest to a straight razor that you'll find, without as much effort.
Den, another question (I'm full of them!): does this old injector razor NOT accept todays double edge blades?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4654
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by dennisthemenace » Sat May 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: Shaving Against and With the grain/angle.

Post by Tatanka » Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 am

Hey Den the menace, I looked it up and as soon as I saw a picture of it; I remembered; even had one myself in the way past. Just forgot. The name injector threw me. Had you given a physical description of it, and gold about injecting the small blade, I'm sure I would have remembered. Ha ha!
This was actually a little emotional walk down memory lane. However, I am really quite surprised (shocked? maybe) to hear that you can still purchase blades for it today! Some old "good things" are still available. I wish they still made the 1929 Model A Ford's - my favorite car! Yeah,
it IS my first memory and I actually shocked my mom when I was eight years of age, when I was able to crank it, start it, and back it out of the garage, put it in neutral and set the emergency brake. She walked out and I can still faintly remember the shocked expression she wore! :) :)

Can I add this? I was too small to crank it. I knew how to set the spark adjuster and was it the choke? But to crank it? I got a wooden box,
set the crank handle at the right angle, and jumped down on the handle with one foot & leg! It took two tries before it started. BUT...you may know this....even grown men had broken their arms and legs when the crank handle spun backwords when the engine - - did something(?) coughed? I could have broken one or both legs! Kids! But it started! I learned how to do all that by just observing my mom do it. Remember, my dad was killed 10 days before I was born. Mom never remarried and I was an only child. Her BEST and WORST child! :)

Sorry for "sinning" again and posting this here. I just went with the emotions that flooded up. I apologize Mr. Administrator!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Post Reply