Cocktail Hour

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Cocktail Hour

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:13 am

I couldn't recall a thread specifically discussing cocktails, so I figured I'd make one. I'm not talking drinks like cosmopolitans or apple-tinis here; martinis, Manhattans, old fashioneds, Amaris, and the like are the object of this thread. Do you have a favorite cocktail or a home recipe your father drank in those times when he wanted more than neat whiskey?

TNLawPiper

Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 am

An old fellow I used to know would drink Scotch old fashioneds made with J&B. He would buy it by the case and have two or three each evening. Of course, being a traditionalist, he never began before 5:00 p.m.

You all may well know my penchant for Manhattans. Bulleit rye, sweet vermouth of whatever brand happens to be around, and Bordeaux cherries. It's a strong drink by nature, so having two usually does the trick.

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:21 am

Not big on cocktails. Prefer to taste a good liquor on its own terms.

Mint julep sometimes. Negroni if I am in a cocktail bar (The American Bar at The Savoy from time to time). Mainly I am in the pub with a pint and malt whisky.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:37 am

huddsbaggie wrote:Not big on cocktails. Prefer to taste a good liquor on its own terms.

Mint julep sometimes. Negroni if I am in a cocktail bar (The American Bar at The Savoy from time to time). Mainly I am in the pub with a pint and malt whisky.
I know that Southerners (the American South, that is) are supposed to be fans of mint juleps, but I don't particularly care for them. They're very sweet.

Negronis are nice. I enjoy the contrast of the bitter Campari with sweet vermouth.

Have you ever had Fernet-Branca?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 am

My favorite cocktail is a variation of the Manhattan:
  • 5 parts Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
    1 part sweet vermouth
    Lots of Agnostura Bitters (I like bitters)
    2-4 Marachino cherries
Another good one is what I call my summer Martini:
  • New Amsterdam gin out of the freezer
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
I fill whatever glass I'm using. If I'm gonna have a strong drink I want to feel it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 am

Cleon wrote:My favorite cocktail is a variation of the Manhattan:
    1 part sweet vermouth
    2-4 Marachino cherries
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
I fill whatever glass I'm using. If I'm gonna have a strong drink I want to feel it.
I'll say. You don't like your liquor diluted by non-liquor. :lol:

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:08 am

My primary cocktail is a spiced rum & diet cola, with a squeeze of fresh lime. This is what I throw together when most guys are grabbing a beer.

For fancy, I favor the dry gin martini:
New Amsterdam gin
splash of dry vermouth
dash of orange bitters
meaty green olive, and a few extra drops of olive brine

Occasionally, a brandy manhattan:
Korbel brandy
splash of sweet vermouth
generous dash of bitters
maraschino cherry
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:10 am

Beth usually wants a Cosmo. She keeps a note card with a few recipe reminders.
While mixing hers the other night, I made what was called a "bourbon sidecar" for me. It was sweet, but tasty. I put its name in quotes as the drink has very little in common with a traditional sidecar. It was bourbon, sweet vermouth, triple sec and lime juice.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 am

Del wrote:My primary cocktail is a spiced rum & diet cola, with a squeeze of fresh lime. This is what I throw together when most guys are grabbing a beer.

New Amsterdam gin
splash of dry vermouth
dash of orange bitters

Korbel brandy
splash of sweet vermouth
generous dash of bitters
maraschino cherry
New Amsterdam gin isn't for everyone because of its extreme citrus notes. I like it, but some would question it. Certainly, A_Morley would.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:22 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:My favorite cocktail is a variation of the Manhattan:
    1 part sweet vermouth
    2-4 Marachino cherries
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
I'll say. You don't like your liquor diluted by non-liquor. :lol:
True. I want the most bang I can get and still look somewhat refined. That doesn't really matter though when you're drinking a Martini in a tumbler while sitting on the couch in your sweats and a t-shirt after the wife and kids go to bed.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 am

I usually don't mix anything in my booze except ice, but I have learned to enjoy an Old Fashion and it's variations on occasion. A Sloe Gin Fizz has passed my lips a time or two, also, and I found it enjoyable.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:33 am

Cleon wrote:
Del wrote:My primary cocktail is a spiced rum & diet cola, with a squeeze of fresh lime. This is what I throw together when most guys are grabbing a beer.

New Amsterdam gin
splash of dry vermouth
dash of orange bitters

Korbel brandy
splash of sweet vermouth
generous dash of bitters
maraschino cherry
New Amsterdam gin isn't for everyone because of its extreme citrus notes. I like it, but some would question it. Certainly, A_Morley would.
I enjoy it. Since I make my martini with a dash of orange bitters, the citrus gin is fine. And New Amsterdam is still wonderfully priced.

For extreme juniper kick, I like Boodles best. Better than Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray.

Never, ever attempt to make a martini out of Citadelle Gin. It is a floral & citrus potable, the distilled liquor equivalent of a Lake District tobacco. It sings with a bit of tonic, but it's not what you want in a martini.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am

Oh, look. Del drinks like a tasteless, suburbanite, plebeian. I, for one, am shocked. Shocked. Next thing you know he'll be employing yellow smiley faces in place of descriptive verbiage and attaching unnecessary and repeating exclamation points to the sentence fragments that he constantly foists upon people in the guise of moral profundities.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 am

My better half and I recently made milk punch to celebrate Christmas. Milk punch is a New Orleans staple dating back to the Colonies. It resembles eggnog, but it contains no egg, and it's easier to drink. Like eggnog, it's easy to find yourself a few glasses deep before the wrapping paper is cleaned up, which, when mixed with a Christmas turkey or roast, is enough to bring on a midday nap.

We used this recipe: http://gardenandgun.com/article/holiday-milk-punch

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:54 am

Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:

New Amsterdam gin
splash of dry vermouth
dash of orange bitters

Korbel brandy
splash of sweet vermouth
generous dash of bitters
maraschino cherry
I enjoy it. Since I make my martini with a dash of orange bitters, the citrus gin is fine. And New Amsterdam is still wonderfully priced.

For extreme juniper kick, I like Boodles best. Better than Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray.

Never, ever attempt to make a martini out of Citadelle Gin. It is a floral & citrus potable, the distilled liquor equivalent of a Lake District tobacco. It sings with a bit of tonic, but it's not what you want in a martini.
Intriguing. I like floral and citrus notes. Now I HAVE TO go find some Citadelle. I'll drink the first bottle straight so I can get to know it better.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:13 pm

A favorite:

A nice whiskey or whisky (nothing too expensive though) with a splash of coke. That's about as crazy as I get.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Del

Post by Del » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:33 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Oh, look. Del drinks like a tasteless, suburbanite, plebeian. I, for one, am shocked. Shocked. Next thing you know he'll be employing yellow smiley faces in place of descriptive verbiage and attaching unnecessary and repeating exclamation points to the sentence fragments that he constantly foists upon people in the guise of moral profundities.

Rum!!!!! :joy:

By gum, that is efficient! Thanks, Morley!!!!! :-D

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Wholly dependent on what's-for-dinner:
  • Vodka Martinis with a good hit of Vermouth and blue-cheese olive for Italian
  • Old Fashioneds with a Supper-club meal (usually in Wisconsin, but also at the Florida-style Supper Clubs)
  • Perfect Manhattans with Steak
  • Rye Sazeracs with ... whatever hits my whim to have one really
  • If there's something with lots of warming spices from a Mixologist - I'll give it a try (there's a local New American-style cuisine restaurant that serves a really tasty "Bah Humbug" around this time of year)
  • Caipirinha when having Churrasca
Otherwise Vodka Gimlets, Gin and tonic/Ginn-N-Tonix, oh and Negronis make me angry - and therefore I avoid them now.

That being said - Single Malts (or blends in a pinch), Whiskeys, Bourbons, or decent Rums neat or on a rock makes eminent sense at times.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Pepik wrote:Wholly dependent on what's-for-dinner:
  • Vodka Martinis with a good hit of Vermouth and blue-cheese olive for Italian
  • Old Fashioneds with a Supper-club meal (usually in Wisconsin, but also at the Florida-style Supper Clubs)
  • Perfect Manhattans with Steak
  • Rye Sazeracs with ... whatever hits my whim to have one really
  • If there's something with lots of warming spices from a Mixologist - I'll give it a try (there's a local New American-style cuisine restaurant that serves a really tasty "Bah Humbug" around this time of year)
  • Caipirinha when having Churrasca
Otherwise Vodka Gimlets, Gin and tonic/Ginn-N-Tonix, oh and Negronis make me angry - and therefore I avoid them now.

That being said - Single Malts (or blends in a pinch), Whiskeys, Bourbons, or decent Rums neat or on a rock makes eminent sense at times.
That is the list of an organized man. Excellent. I prefer my martinis and gimlets with gin (vodka is a dangerous commie drink), prefer a Tom and Jerry to a Bah Humbug, but otherwise have absolutely no quibbles with this list. I like a serious drinker. Note that I didn't say serious drunk.

I subscribe to the bourbon Manhattan. This is because of a bad experience with a bottle of George Dickle rye. There was a lot of anger in that bottle and I felt I understood Tennessee a little better the next morning: sweet upon first experience, followed by a most enjoyable spice, then hatred for everything unfamiliar followed by the bitter taste of regret.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:30 pm

It's more of a case of me observing my behaviours over the last two decades. I used to be a bartender in a "past life" which led me to these selections
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates