Cocktail Hour

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Pepik
Working as Intended

Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by Pepik » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Del wrote:I have a large martini glass, and I'm gonna fill it up right now.
Better not fill that with an Apple-tini, bub!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:42 am

Never had a martini. Any good recipes? I'm not much of an olive fan so maybe lemon peel for garnish? From what I've heard the amount of vermouth is widely debated.

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 am

Cleon wrote:
Another good one is what I call my summer Martini:
  • New Amsterdam gin out of the freezer
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
I fill whatever glass I'm using. If I'm gonna have a strong drink I want to feel it.
Spoke too soon. This one is simple enough. Should've picked up that martini glass at the Dollar Tree today.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

I normally like 2 or 3 fingers of Bourbon or Scotch or Irish or good Rum...maybe in a cold glass or with a cold stone.

But I tried something after Thanksgiving and I like it quite a bit.

1/4 shot of very strong cold coffee
2 shots Silver Rum
Agnostura Bitters to taste.

I can sip on this through 2 bowls or a cigar.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm

jdavis2809 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
I fill whatever glass I'm using. If I'm gonna have a strong drink I want to feel it.
Spoke too soon. This one is simple enough. Should've picked up that martini glass at the Dollar Tree today.
The gin really makes the martini, because gin varies quite a bit in flavor. I like a medium-dry gin like Plymouth, but Bombay Sapphire is great, too. People who drink gin with any regularity will have differing opinions about this, just as with whiskey. I am not wild about dry vermouth, so I keep the ratio of gin to vermouth pretty high. 3:1 or 4:1.

Take a cocktail pitcher or shaker, and fill it a quarter of the way with large, uncracked pieces of ice. You don't want water in your martini, so don't use small pieces of ice or cracked pieces. Also you want to stir this cocktail, so don't fill your shaker too full of ice.

Yeah, you heard right. James Bond's "shaken, not stirred" bit is nonsense. People were stirring martinis when James asked for his shaken, and they're getting back to seeing the light. Shaking a martini breaks up the ice and waters down your drink. Why would you pay for a watered-down drink?

Then add the gin and vermouth. Stir with a long cocktail stirrer. This allows the ice to remain relatively untouched. That's a good thing.

Pour it in a chilled martini glass (a glass one, thus the name) and garnish it if you want. Don't pour any of the olive brine in there with it. That's used to cover up gross gin and vermouth. I love olive brine, but I don't like salty gin, and I don't know why anyone would.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Drink responsibly.

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
jdavis2809 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish
The gin really makes the martini, because gin varies quite a bit in flavor. I like a medium-dry gin like Plymouth, but Bombay Sapphire is great, too. People who drink gin with any regularity will have differing opinions about this, just as with whiskey. I am not wild about dry vermouth, so I keep the ratio of gin to vermouth pretty high. 3:1 or 4:1.

Take a cocktail pitcher or shaker, and fill it a quarter of the way with large, uncracked pieces of ice. You don't want water in your martini, so don't use small pieces of ice or cracked pieces. Also you want to stir this cocktail, so don't fill your shaker too full of ice.

Yeah, you heard right. James Bond's "shaken, not stirred" bit is nonsense. People were stirring martinis when James asked for his shaken, and they're getting back to seeing the light. Shaking a martini breaks up the ice and waters down your drink. Why would you pay for a watered-down drink?

Then add the gin and vermouth. Stir with a long cocktail stirrer. This allows the ice to remain relatively untouched. That's a good thing.

Pour it in a chilled martini glass (a glass one, thus the name) and garnish it if you want. Don't pour any of the olive brine in there with it. That's used to cover up gross gin and vermouth. I love olive brine, but I don't like salty gin, and I don't know why anyone would.

Sounds great. Does the brand of vermouth matter much?

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm

jdavis2809 wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
jdavis2809 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
    splash of dry vermouth
    no garnish

Sounds great. Does the brand of vermouth matter much?
Purists would say yes. I would say not particularly, as long as it's of good quality. It only lasts for a month or so in the fridge, so don't splurge. The quantity matters more, in my opinion.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Gin and tonic in the summer and bourbon neat or with a splash of water in the winter depending on proof. I do like New Amsterdam gin along with Bombay Sapphire but if I had the coin Hendrick's would be my preference. Most cocktails I find too sugary or complex. Bourbon plus glass equals drinking before the cocktail aficionado.

Now, here is a question for the gin and tonic drinkers: do you have a preferred tonic or just whatever you can get at the store?
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm

7formy1911 wrote:Gin and tonic in the summer and bourbon neat or with a splash of water in the winter depending on proof. I do like New Amsterdam gin along with Bombay Sapphire but if I had the coin Hendrick's would be my preference. Most cocktails I find too sugary or complex. Bourbon plus glass equals drinking before the cocktail aficionado.

Now, here is a question for the gin and tonic drinkers: do you have a preferred tonic or just whatever you can get at the store?
You drink gin? I didn't know this.

I'm not sure what this means.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Drinking my first martini. Made this one with New Amsterdam gin. It's actually not as strong as I expected. The pine flavor comes through more than in the gin and tonic. Still has that nice citrus hint. Also picked up a bottle of Gordon's gin to try next.

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 pm

The Gordon's definitely has more pine taste to it. It's still good but I think I like the lemon of New Amsterdam slightly better.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:57 am

DepartedLight wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:Gin and tonic in the summer and bourbon neat or with a splash of water in the winter depending on proof. I do like New Amsterdam gin along with Bombay Sapphire but if I had the coin Hendrick's would be my preference. Most cocktails I find too sugary or complex. Bourbon plus glass equals drinking before the cocktail aficionado.

You drink gin? I didn't know this.

I'm not sure what this means.
Shocking,isn't it? :D

I suppose my drinks change with the season. I do like Irish whiskey in the summer since it's not as heavy as bourbon but it's hard to beat gin and tonic on a hot day.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Early valentine's day gift from the misses:

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:18 pm

jdavis2809 wrote:Early valentine's day gift from the misses:
Very nice! You must share any favorite recipes you have.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 pm

I ordered a dry gin martini on the rocks with an olive this afternoon before dinner. The waitress says "if you put an olive in it, then it ain't (sic) dry". I said "really? ... then make it a gin martini on the rocks, and tell the bartender to wave the vermouth bottle across the glass a couple of times, just to waft some vapors into the mix. Then drop 1 well-drained olive into it, and bring it on".

I presume that's what happened. It tasted dry enough.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Canada Dry or Schwepps. Or whatever I can get at the store :oops:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

RAStewart
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RAStewart » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 am

hugodrax wrote:I subscribe to the bourbon Manhattan. This is because of a bad experience with a bottle of George Dickle rye. There was a lot of anger in that bottle and I felt I understood Tennessee a little better the next morning: sweet upon first experience, followed by a most enjoyable spice, then hatred for everything unfamiliar followed by the bitter taste of regret.
Ha! A fine description! Luckily our choices in rye are better than what they were some years ago. Though I've been taking down a bottle of Sazerac rye for a while and like it fine.

The Manhattan is the finest cocktail ever created, in my considered opinion. I was introduced to them in college, my first quarter I guess, in 1968, a few years even before taking up the pipe. For a long time I didn't know that they were ever made otherwise than with bourbon; I learned to love them that way, and the bourbon Manhattan is a fine drink. But now I prefer it with rye--I like the way the peppery quality of the rye plays counterpoint to the sweet vermouth.

Bourbon I still love, but sipped by itself.

~Rich
I'm always amazed when people say, "I'm a Christian." I think, "Already?" —Maya Angelou

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 am

Yesterday my F-I-L mixed me a cocktail with Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade and vodka. Heavy on the vodka. Very heavy on the vodka.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 am

Open bottle of Templeton Rye. In a highball glass, pour 3 fingers, add 3 ice cubes. Drink, repeat.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:25 am

For TNLP (and all the hipster cocktail enthusiasts): The Biggest Bar Trends of 2016, According to You
1. Ingredients with a Backstory

"Not just that the ingredients are sustainable and clean, but also that the production of the ingredients is socially responsible as well. This will dovetail into what we are seeing in the food industry."

"Bartenders are respecting fresh and local produce the way chefs do, and will learn to work with the ingredients."

"The continuation of craft cocktails and sourcing of local ingredients."

"Continued emphasis on using locally sourced ingredients and collecting bottles from different small distilleries around the U.S."

"Evolution of custom craft cocktails using proprietary mixes, bitters, etc., created with natural fresh ingredients."

"Farm-to-bar ingredients."
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain