Cocktail Hour

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 am

UncleBob wrote:For TNLP (and all the hipster cocktail enthusiasts): The Biggest Bar Trends of 2016, According to You
1. Ingredients with a Backstory

"Not just that the ingredients are sustainable and clean, but also that the production of the ingredients is socially responsible as well. This will dovetail into what we are seeing in the food industry."

"Bartenders are respecting fresh and local produce the way chefs do, and will learn to work with the ingredients."

"The continuation of craft cocktails and sourcing of local ingredients."

"Continued emphasis on using locally sourced ingredients and collecting bottles from different small distilleries around the U.S."

"Evolution of custom craft cocktails using proprietary mixes, bitters, etc., created with natural fresh ingredients."

"Farm-to-bar ingredients."
I am unconcerned with the source of my garnish, long as it's never included in my drink.

I do, however, love Mezcal and simple drinks. I endorse half of this article.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:51 pm

I've always liked straight whiskeys myself, but for cocktails my top pick is a vodka Martini.

I've tried Martinis of all sorts, but the one I've been making the longest is a simple one.

2 parts of a decent quality vodka (vodka is a cheap liquor so I go to a mid shelf brand like New Amsterdam)
1 part Extra Dry Vermouth
A nice piece of lemon peel flamed over the drink.

Mix the vermouth and vodka vigorously in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. I like lots of little ice shards in the drink.
Strain into a frozen Martini glass to keep it cold as long as possible.
Garnish with the flamed lemon peel. Be sure to get the zest into the drink when you flame it.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 pm

joegoat wrote:I've always liked straight whiskeys myself, but for cocktails my top pick is a vodka Martini.

I've tried Martinis of all sorts, but the one I've been making the longest is a simple one.

2 parts of a decent quality vodka (vodka is a cheap liquor so I go to a mid shelf brand like New Amsterdam)

Mix the vermouth and vodka vigorously in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. I like lots of little ice shards in the drink.
Garnish with the flamed lemon peel. Be sure to get the zest into the drink when you flame it.
yer doin it wrong

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:27 pm

1. Put bottle of gin in the freezer.
2. A while later, take it out and open it.
3. Pour into a glass, sip, and enjoy.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Cleon wrote:1. Put bottle of gin in the freezer.
There it is. Bought myself some Bombay London Dry the other day
Sola Deo Gloria

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Not real big on hard liquor, if I imbibe in the evening it's usually a glass of Chardonnay. But since last Christmas when I had my Granny-Memorial Manhattan, and actually made a good one, Terry and I occasionally enjoy a whiskey cocktail hour. Bourbon Sour for him, Rye Manhattan for me. July was a good month. I'm going to treat myself to Bordeaux cherries and some top-shelf whiskey this weekend.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:08 am

I prefer using all-beef weinies for my cocktails. I use a mixture of grape jelly and mustard for the sauce.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:32 am

Gabriel wrote:
Cleon wrote:1. Put bottle of gin in the freezer.
There it is. Bought myself some Bombay London Dry the other day
Take a low ball glass, place in freezer with gin until nicely chilled. Put a splash of bitters in the bottom of glass and coat the whole bottom. Add 2 oz of chilled gin and enjoy!

If making gin and tonic I prefer Beefeater.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:16 pm

For gin & tonics, I prefer Oso Negro, which is a Dutch type of gin in spite of it being distilled in Mexico. I picked up the preference while stationed at Ft Huachuca, AZ
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Hovannes wrote:For gin & tonics, I prefer Oso Negro, which is a Dutch type of gin in spite of it being distilled in Mexico. I picked up the preference while stationed at Ft Huachuca, AZ
Ooh, now that sounds awesome. I'm a sucker for all things southwestern.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
joegoat wrote:I've always liked straight whiskeys myself, but for cocktails my top pick is a vodka Martini.

yer doin it wrong
Haters shall hate...
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:29 am

Anyone have a favorite Michelada recipe? I watched as a woman, no, Lady, at the next table over, drank 4 with her meal, before we left. Don't know if she had any more after we left, or just opted for dessert of some sort ... maybe tres leches or something similar. This was at Goode's Seafood in Houston. I wish I could obtain their recipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelada
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 pm

sweetandsour wrote:Anyone have a favorite Michelada recipe? I watched as a woman, no, Lady, at the next table over, drank 4 with her meal, before we left. Don't know if she had any more after we left, or just opted for dessert of some sort ... maybe tres leches or something similar. This was at Goode's Seafood in Houston. I wish I could obtain their recipe.

I got into some of those at a little Mexican oyster bar near me once. Each Michelada had a raw oyster in the bottom. I've never had anything cause heartburn worse than that in my life. I thought I was going to die and was afraid I wouldn't. Haven't been able to touch one since.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:49 pm

JimVH wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:Anyone have a favorite Michelada recipe? I watched as a woman, no, Lady, at the next table over, drank 4 with her meal, before we left. Don't know if she had any more after we left, or just opted for dessert of some sort ... maybe tres leches or something similar. This was at Goode's Seafood in Houston. I wish I could obtain their recipe.

I got into some of those at a little Mexican oyster bar near me once. Each Michelada had a raw oyster in the bottom. I've never had anything cause heartburn worse than that in my life. I thought I was going to die and was afraid I wouldn't. Haven't been able to touch one since.
I believe that the song "Hurts So Good" covers that situation.

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Re: RE: Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by Eruannu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:19 pm

joegoat wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

yer doin it wrong
Haters shall hate...
I'll give you my recipe for a real martini....

Hold martini glass securely in left hand, whisper the word "Vermouth" ever so slightly into the glass, fill with the appropriate quantity of "gin" garnish with the garnish of your choice, consume and repeat.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:01 am

I have approx 2 oz of Bombay Safire, about an oz of tonic, a lime, and a few olives left from the weekend. Should I just go ahead and dump the tonic?

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 am

Trader Joes has a very affordable Single Malt Scotch called "Highland" that pairs very well with Dunhill Night, and probably other English Latakia blends. It has just a little bit of a smokey character to it that makes the pairing perfect.

Of course, this may not be a "cocktail hour" Scotch, for Nightcap is a pipe tobacco one would enjoy late in the evening, possibly just before bed. Sleeping like a baby is then assured.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:Trader Joes has a very affordable Single Malt Scotch called "Highland" that pairs very well with Dunhill Night, and probably other English Latakia blends. It has just a little bit of a smokey character to it that makes the pairing perfect.

Of course, this may not be a "cocktail hour" Scotch, for Nightcap is a pipe tobacco one would enjoy late in the evening, possibly just before bed. Sleeping like a baby is then assured.
So you can't have a drink of this at cocktail hour because nightcap must be an evening tobacco because, well, "Nightcap," right? And this scotch goes with Nightcap as you've already told us, so...yeah.

Goose, I'm going to blow your mind: Early Morning Pipe is spectacular at cocktail hour. Of course, you can't be seen to be doing this, because the SWAT team will raid your house, but it's really worth the risk.

I'm having Early Morning Pipe with a glass of perspective today, gentlemen.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

joegoat

Re: RE: Re: Cocktail Hour

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 am

Eruannu wrote:
joegoat wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

yer doin it wrong
Haters shall hate...
I'll give you my recipe for a real martini....

Hold martini glass securely in left hand, whisper the word "Vermouth" ever so slightly into the glass, fill with the appropriate quantity of "gin" garnish with the garnish of your choice, consume and repeat.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Vermouth is a touchy thing. It can be no more than 1 part out of three to suit my tastes. I'm not keen on gin either. The juniper hits me wrong. For me it has to be a super clean vodka and a flamed lemon garnish.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm

JimVH wrote:

Oyster season is upon us, and I'm bound to try this, while taking my chances with heartburn and other possible maladies. The Dr warned me about eating raw seafood, especially oysters; but I just can't see enjoying this any other way.