Do you make your own Beard Oil?

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: Do you make your own Beard Oil?

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 pm

What exactly is beard oil supposed to do? Is it like hair tonic or is it like conditioner to make your beard soft and fleecy. I usually just wash my beard with Pine Tar soap and call it a day. It's bristly but I don't care.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 pm
I usually just wash my beard with Pine Tar soap and call it a day. It's bristly but I don't care.
This. Don’t over soap your beard. Natural skin oil is your friend.

A diet rich in pork fat doesn’t hurt.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 pm

I never have but my oldest son does. He transferred to the vice unit so he can have a beard now, and boy does he. He's been experimenting with all kinds of ingredients and he really likes the way it makes his beard feel and smell. Not sure his wife is that crazy about it. I keep my beard trimmed real close so I haven't seen the need to try it.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:46 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 pm
I usually just wash my beard with Pine Tar soap and call it a day. It's bristly but I don't care.
This. Don’t over soap your beard. Natural skin oil is your friend.

A diet rich in pork fat doesn’t hurt.
Actually, pine tar soap is one of the few soaps okay for your face and beard (I've been using it for 3 years), though you still shouldn't wash your beard with it every day. Beard oil can soften your beard hair, but it's mainly meant to moisturize the skin because with a beard your skin can get all kinds of irritated (dandruff). I wash my beard every day because of the dust here (extremely mild natural shampoo), but I keep it hydrated with oil or balm and it's healthier than it ever has been. I have it keep it that way or it itches to heaven and back on me.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage