Do you make your own Beard Oil?

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: Do you make your own Beard Oil?

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Tatanka wrote:I need something to make my beard softer. Have been skeptical of anything said to do that; but my curiosity is awake enough for me to investigate this additional maintenance procedure.
A good, natural soap without chemicals that dry one's skin out would be a good, cheap start. I used a tea tree oil bar that contained various natural oils -- it cost me $3. Did wonders. Then, I got the balm (https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Amish-Bea ... B009NNFB0O) and it was a nice pairing. I've since made my own oil and balm. The balm is basically like putting lotion on one's face, so it's not really an additional thing to do, at least it wasn't for me. Shower, wash face, apply balm/lotion, and I'm out the door.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Tatanka wrote:I need something to make my beard softer. Have been skeptical of anything said to do that; but my curiosity is awake enough for me to investigate this additional maintenance procedure.
A good, natural soap without chemicals that dry one's skin out would be a good, cheap start. I used a tea tree oil bar that contained various natural oils -- it cost me $3. Did wonders. Then, I got the balm (https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Amish-Bea ... B009NNFB0O) and it was a nice pairing. I've since made my own oil and balm. The balm is basically like putting lotion on one's face, so it's not really an additional thing to do, at least it wasn't for me. Shower, wash face, apply balm/lotion, and I'm out the door.
Josh, sorry, but I can't help but tag onto your last line - "Shower, wash face, apply balm/lotion, and I'm out the door." My line is:
Don't you put clothes on too? Ha ha.

Seriously, if I can order from the link you provide. I will try that. And thanks for the tip.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I ordered and have used twice, "Honest Amish Beard Balm". I don't know how much should be the portion used. I just showered so beard was clean. My question is about the gritty substance in it. Almost feels like particles of sand mixed into it. Does this material - whatever it is - dissolve. In combing my beard I found no residual on the comb. ? ? ?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Tatanka wrote:I ordered and have used twice, "Honest Amish Beard Balm". I don't know how much should be the portion used. I just showered so beard was clean. My question is about the gritty substance in it. Almost feels like particles of sand mixed into it. Does this material - whatever it is - dissolve. In combing my beard I found no residual on the comb. ? ? ?
The grit is not sand, it is just the text of the oils once cooked into a balm. Once the complete substance is melted in your hands by rubbing them together, the gritty-ness is gone, yes. That's when you apply. Use whatever you feel necessary. You'll know if you use too much, as it will be a bit on the greasy side. I use a dime-size amount, but my beard is fairly long. I tell most to use a pea-size amount.

Also, use it for at least two weeks before you judge it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tatanka wrote:I ordered and have used twice, "Honest Amish Beard Balm". I don't know how much should be the portion used. I just showered so beard was clean. My question is about the gritty substance in it. Almost feels like particles of sand mixed into it. Does this material - whatever it is - dissolve. In combing my beard I found no residual on the comb. ? ? ?
The grit is not sand, it is just the text of the oils once cooked into a balm. Once the complete substance is melted in your hands by rubbing them together, the gritty-ness is gone, yes. That's when you apply. Use whatever you feel necessary. You'll know if you use too much, as it will be a bit on the greasy side. I use a dime-size amount, but my beard is fairly long. I tell most to use a pea-size amount.

Also, use it for at least two weeks before you judge it.

Thanks so much. I did NOT think it WAS sand; only felt like sand. But I have not rubbed it in my hands till this substance dissolved fully. I shall do that. My beard is the shortest I've had it for years, so the amount I'm using, based upon your recommendation, is about right. I'm not close to giving it up. Never felt that way. Just was really curious about the way it felt. Unusual. Thank you , again! :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

Dr Sinclair
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Dr Sinclair » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Never heard of beard oil before but this post comes at a good time because I recently decided to let my beard grow out to "semi Santa" proportions. I may have to give it a try.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Dr Sinclair wrote:Never heard of beard oil before but this post comes at a good time because I recently decided to let my beard grow out to "semi Santa" proportions. I may have to give it a try.
CPS: Makin' hipsters since way before you knew about them.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Dr Sinclair
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Dr Sinclair » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Image Wasn't Maynard a hipster?

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 pm

My 15 year old grandson makes and sells beard oil. Started out as a school project, and sort of took off locally, in Rochester NY. I don't know if he has a website for it. But I have a bottle, if anyone would like to try it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Dr Sinclair wrote:Never heard of beard oil before but this post comes at a good time because I recently decided to let my beard grow out to "semi Santa" proportions. I may have to give it a try.
Hey, it keeps my beard and face healthy, meaning not dry, so I'm an advocate. I don't buy it though (the prices they charge are criminal); I make it.

ImageImage

Dr Sinclair
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Dr Sinclair » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:02 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Hey, it keeps my beard and face healthy, meaning not dry, so I'm an advocate. I don't buy it though (the prices they charge are criminal); I make it.
Joshoowah.. My beard is a bit coarse. I'm going to look into the recipe you posted. Thanks!

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:52 am

Dr Sinclair wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Joshoowah.. My beard is a bit coarse. I'm going to look into the recipe you posted. Thanks!
It worked for my coarse beard hair.

ImageImage

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 pm

So.......with this "oil"......are you saying it is like a pure oil? The reason I ask this question is because when I use beard "balms" such as The Pirate Badass Beard Balm, and Honest Amish Beard Balm, and rum them between my hands, the consistency becomes like an oil.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Tatanka wrote:So.......with this "oil"......are you saying it is like a pure oil? The reason I ask this question is because when I use beard "balms" such as The Pirate Badass Beard Balm, and Honest Amish Beard Balm, and rum them between my hands, the consistency becomes like an oil.
Tatanka, balm is basically beard oil solidified, so the balm is just fine. I use both, usually whichever I am in the mood for. I want to actually experiment and make my own balm. Beard oil, like beard balm, is just a mixture of non-greasy oils (jojoba, argan, almond, castor, grapeseed oil).

ImageImage

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:21 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tatanka wrote:So.......with this "oil"......are you saying it is like a pure oil? The reason I ask this question is because when I use beard "balms" such as The Pirate Badass Beard Balm, and Honest Amish Beard Balm, and rum them between my hands, the consistency becomes like an oil.
Tatanka, balm is basically beard oil solidified, so the balm is just fine. I use both, usually whichever I am in the mood for. I want to actually experiment and make my own balm. Beard oil, like beard balm, is just a mixture of non-greasy oils (jojoba, argan, almond, castor, grapeseed oil).

Ahh. Makes sense. Thanks Joshooway!
Soli Deo Gloria!

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:00 pm

My beard oil project kinda got put on hold, we moved and started hosting Chinese exchange students and life got a little busy, but I'm going to get back into it soon here. I've got a nice little workshop space at the new house, thinking about making some pipes too!
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Avocado oil base, Sandalwood and Grapefruit smell-good. Does my beard and face right. And I'm with Joshoowah...this stuff is way too expensive to buy. I can make about 50 times the amount myself for the same price.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:52 pm

I am using a balm that is 3 parts coconut oil, 1 part bee's wax. Scented with cedar, sage, patchouli, and cloves. Next batch I want to try food grade vapor scents to make it smell like woodsmoke and bourbon.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:19 am

I've moved to plain, unscented jojoba oil for use when my beard is dried out.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 pm

Cleon wrote:I've moved to plain, unscented jojoba oil for use when my beard is dried out.
Nothing wrong with that. It's rather expensive though, no? I know it used to be like $20 a bottle, which is why I mix several oils.

ImageImage