The Old Fashioned Gentleman's Concealed Carrry Handgun

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: The Old Fashioned Gentleman's Concealed Carrry Handgun

Post by coco » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Image
How about some makes/brands/model for those of us in a foreign culture?

They look a little big for concealment actually. Is that a revolver in your pants or are you just happy to see me?
Here ya go
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Only the police and military should be armed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:33 am

Jocose wrote:Only the police and military and old fashioned gentlemen should be armed.
Fixed it for you :wink:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:36 am

hugodrax wrote:Wow, you fellows are making my Walther PPK/s look positively modern.
Those are just dogon sexy! I have an FEG made PPK knock off. Mechanically it's the same, but it has an aluminum frame rather than steel and doesn't command quite the premium. S&W must have stopped production on their licensed copies thus creating a supply and demand issue. The demand will never go down thanks to James Bond.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:38 am

coco wrote:
Rusty wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Image
How about some makes/brands/model for those of us in a foreign culture?

They look a little big for concealment actually. Is that a revolver in your pants or are you just happy to see me?
Here ya go
Whatcha need is a Mare's Leg.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:40 am

Hovannes wrote:
Jocose wrote:Only the police and military and old fashioned gentlemen should be armed.
Fixed it for you :wink:
I'm glad Hovannes is looking out for our grammatical errors! :mrgreen:
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:17 pm

This one works for me. And we just celebrated the 101st birthday of JMB's best design...
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:18 am

Hovannes wrote:My Grandpa had one of these Image
I have one too. A 2d Model in .32 S&W.
Image Well over 100 years old now.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:20 am

I carry a S&W M13 in .357 Mag. Have for years now since putting away my modded Ithaca M1911A1 from 1943.

Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Time for an admission: I have not applied for, nor do I feel a need for a concealed carry permit.
Colorado is an open carry state, and when I feel the need of a handgun, I carry it in the open in a holster. Have for many years.

My primary concern here is not of the two-legged variety but the occasional cougar who has become too comfortable around people, and I'm more concerned about my dogs than myself. We live in cougar country and a few dogs have been taken by cougars in the area.

When I'm hunting, I'll have a shotgun or a rifle in my hands, and when I'm not I'll often carry this Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum. Old school, I guess, but a very reliable revolver with a wonderfully smooth double action and light, crisp single action trigger. Definitely an Old Gentleman's handgun:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:Time for an admission: I have not applied for, nor do I feel a need for a concealed carry permit.
Colorado is an open carry state, and when I feel the need of a handgun, I carry it in the open in a holster. Have for many years.

My primary concern here is not of the two-legged variety but the occasional cougar who has become too comfortable around people, and I'm more concerned about my dogs than myself. We live in cougar country and a few dogs have been taken by cougars in the area.

When I'm hunting, I'll have a shotgun or a rifle in my hands, and when I'm not I'll often carry this Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum. Old school, I guess, but a very reliable revolver with a wonderfully smooth double action and light, crisp single action trigger. Definitely an Old Gentleman's handgun:

Sober OId Fashioned Gentlemen don't do cougarsImage
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:56 pm

durangopipe wrote:Time for an admission: I have not applied for, nor do I feel a need for a concealed carry permit.

I don't carry it, concealed or otherwise, but I own the GP100 - the direct descendant of the Security Six and it is a pleasure to shoot. Double action trigger is a bit heavy, but when target shooting typically shooting single action and it's very nice.

(OK, I guess I have been known to carry it on occasion for coyotes when out in the winter. Haven't shot one though.)
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Hovannes wrote:

Sober OId Fashioned Gentlemen don't do cougarsImage
And they most certainly don't shoot them!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:30 pm

S&W M36 and M33 J frames.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed May 18, 2016 7:12 am

After many weeks of debating I finally got one. Remington has released a much more affordable and in my opinion, an improved version of the Rohrbaugh 380. I really think it has the classic lines of a handgun that an OFG would carry. The aluminum frame is tough to find on guns now. Though I've come to accept plastic frames, I still prefer metal. I was hoping their R51 9mm would be a success, but they :poop:ed the bed on that one. I'd be willing to bet that they'll release a 9mm version of the RM380 in the future.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:43 am

In my constant search for the best I found another revolver I like. Although my S&W 442 is loaded with very potent Winchester Ranger +P's when I carry it, I wanted something with a little more oomph. 44 special was the answer. It is on par 45ACP in performance, but the rimmed case makes it a better option for a revolver. Charter did well with this one. The 2.5 inch barrel is still easy to tuck in a waistband and it gives just a bit more velocity. I'm going to swap the hammer for the bobbed option and I need to find a holster to fit it. The 44 special might also push me over the edge to reloading.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:30 am

Walther PPQ 9mm in the cooler months. S&W model 642 Airweight .38 Special in the warmer months or a S&W .380 Bodyguard when I'm unable to conceal anything else.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:07 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 pm
Only the police and military should be armed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS