The OFG Knife Sharpening System

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

The OFG Knife Sharpening System

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:21 pm

The one OFG Knife sharpening system is...

The Edge-Pro Apex

Likely the best knife sharpening system in the entire free world.

Even If you've free-handed for years or even life, you can't put an edge on a blade until you go Edge-pro.

With stones and tapes ranging from 120 grit up to 6000 grit you get a mirror polish on the edge as shown (or tried to show) like on my sweet azz FredS knife.

EDIT: Sharpenung?
Last edited by Jocose on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: The OFG Knife Sharpenung System

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Good? Yes. OFG? No. OFG = stones and oil from the glands of a muskrat.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:Good? Yes. OFG? No. OFG = stones and oil from the glands of a muskrat.
Beaver castor smells better IMO.

Have you ever sharpened a knife b4?

Have you ever dried beaver castor b4?

Beaver castor dries ok on window screen and stores in baby food jars well.

Beaver taste better than muskrat as well, unless they been eatin' fir, then beaver is pretty nasty. Muskrat tastes like mud and swamp.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:Good? Yes. OFG? No. OFG = stones and oil from the glands of a muskrat.

Beaver taste better than muskrat as well, unless they been eatin' fir, then beaver is pretty nasty. Muskrat tastes like mud and swamp.
Why in Sam Hill would I want to do anything you just mentioned aside from sharpening a knife? Is this some kind of reverse psychology switcheroo?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Why in Sam Hill would I want to do anything you just mentioned aside from sharpening a knife? Is this some kind of reverse psychology switcheroo?
Sorry, I thought maybe fer a minute that you were or had been a licensed trapper in yer state and had experienced years and years of free-hand knife sharpening along with a natural, hormone free source of meat consumption and gland/castor harvesting and selling for the lure market.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Jocose wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Sorry, I thought maybe fer a minute that you were or had been a licensed trapper in yer state and had experienced years and years of free-hand knife sharpening along with a natural, hormone free source of meat consumption and gland/castor harvesting and selling for the lure market.
LOL! You're one of a kind, Jockstrap.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:

No, no I'm not.
They're/There/Their are 10's if not a hundred trappers licensed in yer state.
Every single one of 'em likely knows how to get a knife sharp.
Not as sharp as an Edge-pro can get a knife sharp tho.

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:14 am

Freehand
DMT coarse to reprofile when necessary, an Arkansas Hard to hone, light machine oil or mineral oil, and a brown paper sack as a strop. With a quality blade, you can raise a burr, remove it, and get it shaving sharp with very little in the way of tools. Even freehand. In my pocket I carry a two-bladed knife. I keep one edge shaving sharp and the other toothy.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 am

Jocose wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Jocose wrote:

No, no I'm not.
They're/There/Their are 10's if not a hundred trappers licensed in yer state.
Every single one of 'em likely knows how to get a knife sharp.
Not as sharp as an Edge-pro can get a knife sharp tho.
You ever trap a beaver, Jo. Cose?

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:39 am

I stink at fee hand sharpening and struggle to get just a mediocre edge that way. I'm a Lansky user and not familiar with the Edge Pro Apex system. The Lansky Diamond system is $60. The Edge Pro 4 is $250. What makes the Edge Pro $190 better? Sincere question.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm

JimVH wrote:I stink at fee hand sharpening and struggle to get just a mediocre edge that way. I'm a Lansky user and not familiar with the Edge Pro Apex system. The Lansky Diamond system is $60. The Edge Pro 4 is $250. What makes the Edge Pro $190 better? Sincere question.
I've not used the Lansky system, although I've heard good things about it for years.

The EPA is made right here in the USA, supporting family run and owned businesses and lots of folks use it for their knife sharpening businesses.

Like hogleg, I've always free handed my knives with very good success but I had an recent opportunity for a trade on this Edge pro and boy am I happy with it. It gets any knife way, way sharper than a freehand method can.

I'm not sure if Ben and Cody over at Edge pro still offer this service but they *used to* run an offer to send in yer knife with cash for return shipping and they would sharpen yer knife on the EPA and ship it back to you on the same day to show how well it works.

THE EDGE PRO REALLY DOES MAKE A QUALITY MIRROR RAZOR SHARP LONG LASTING EDGE ON YER KNIFE

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Jocose wrote:
JimVH wrote:I stink at fee hand sharpening and struggle to get just a mediocre edge that way. I'm a Lansky user and not familiar with the Edge Pro Apex system. The Lansky Diamond system is $60. The Edge Pro 4 is $250. What makes the Edge Pro $190 better? Sincere question.
I've not used the Lansky system, although I've heard good things about it for years.

The EPA is made right here in the USA, supporting family run and owned businesses and lots of folks use it for their knife sharpening businesses.

Like hogleg, I've always free handed my knives with very good success but I had an recent opportunity for a trade on this Edge pro and boy am I happy with it. It gets any knife way, way sharper than a freehand method can.

I'm not sure if Ben and Cody over at Edge pro still offer this service but they *used to* run an offer to send in yer knife with cash for return shipping and they would sharpen yer knife on the EPA and ship it back to you on the same day to show how well it works.

THE EDGE PRO REALLY DOES MAKE A QUALITY MIRROR RAZOR SHARP LONG LASTING EDGE ON YER KNIFE
Thanks, bud.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 am

TNLawPiper wrote: You ever trap a beaver, Jo. Cose?
Just cougar.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:59 am

UncleBob wrote:
Just cougar.

Heh heh hehhhhhhh.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: The OFG Knife Sharpening System

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 am

This is my system. $5 at Canadian Tire. No?

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:26 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Just cougar.

Heh heh hehhhhhhh.
:lol:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 am

I discovered the WartHog system about 3 years ago and it is just what I need. With the basic unit and bars, I keep my wifes kitchen knives sharp and ready and with the expanded set...my hunting knives are wicked sharp. I even use it for my straight razor and then finish on a strop. I have seen the EPA system...but the WartHog is easier to use...granted not as detailed, but it suits my needs
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:44 pm

ReverendThom wrote:This is my system. $5 at Canadian Tire. No?

NO! It'll literally tear the edge. Get a loop and check the edge after using it. Even if that were not the case, the angles are bad.

Pic shameless hyperlink from elsewhere on the net.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 pm

hogleg wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:This is my system. $5 at Canadian Tire. No?

NO! It'll literally tear the edge. Get a loop and check the edge after using it. Even if that were not the case, the angles are bad.

Pic shameless hyperlink from elsewhere on the net.
+10x on the get a loupe advice.

Biker_Piper
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Biker_Piper » Wed May 18, 2016 7:04 am

Free hander since forever.

basic setup

stone selection