Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:01 pm
Inked up some pens for March/April Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you like your Jinhao pens?
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:01 pm
Inked up some pens for March/April Image

How do you like your Jinhao pens?
I like the rosewood one quite a bit, the Safari knock off is a piece of junk though.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 pm

What would be a good sized nib and nice ink for everyday use? I lean towards the vibrant blues. I am thinking about picking up a TWSBI ECO.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 pm

plainview wrote:What would be a good sized nib and nice ink for everyday use? I lean towards the vibrant blues. I am thinking about picking up a TWSBI ECO.
That is a great pen, if you want to be able to see color variations go with bold, if you just want to chicken scratch grab a fine!

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:59 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 pm
plainview wrote:What would be a good sized nib and nice ink for everyday use? I lean towards the vibrant blues. I am thinking about picking up a TWSBI ECO.
That is a great pen, if you want to be able to see color variations go with bold, if you just want to chicken scratch grab a fine!

Part of the nib question depends on your intended use.

Most paper made in the United States is produced as cheaply as possible, because that's what most consumers want. However, fountain pens don't tend to write well on cheap, pulpy papers. Fountain pens use a water-based ink, which tends to bleed through and sometimes feather out on cheap paper. Use a fine nib if you plan to write on other people's paper most of the time.

If you are willing to pay a little more for paper for your personal use, the other nib sizes become more attractive options. As Johnny mentioned, bigger nibs give more color variation, called shading, which is often considered a desirable quality in fountain pen ink. "Stub" and "Italic" nibs are also worthy of consideration, as they produce line width variation, which adds a little flair to your writing.

Regarding vibrant blues, my favorite is Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. Goulet's website allows you to see and compare ink samples. Prior to purchasing an ink, it is a good idea to look at online or YouTube reviews.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:59 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Part of the nib question depends on your intended use.

Most paper made in the United States is produced as cheaply as possible, because that's what most consumers want. However, fountain pens don't tend to write well on cheap, pulpy papers. Fountain pens use a water-based ink, which tends to bleed through and sometimes feather out on cheap paper. Use a fine nib if you plan to write on other people's paper most of the time.

If you are willing to pay a little more for paper for your personal use, the other nib sizes become more attractive options. As Johnny mentioned, bigger nibs give more color variation, called shading, which is often considered a desirable quality in fountain pen ink. "Stub" and "Italic" nibs are also worthy of consideration, as they produce line width variation, which adds a little flair to your writing.

Regarding vibrant blues, my favorite is Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. Goulet's website allows you to see and compare ink samples. Prior to purchasing an ink, it is a good idea to look at online or YouTube reviews.
Thanks for the information, especially regarding the paper quality. Very useful.

JohnnyMcPiperson, thanks for your feedback, too.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 am

No problem, I always forget to mention the paper, but he’s right, paper is important, I use my bolds to write in my tomoe river journal, I use fine at school to grade papers and write notes and things.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 am

I've found that Staples renewable resource paper (made from sugarcane) is very good for fountain pens (journals/pads). Sustainable growth...

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum ... notebooks/
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:40 am

The only fountain pen I have is a Parker, which uses plastic cartridge inserts (for lack of whatever the proper terminology is). I don't know what nib is on it but I certainly don't think its a fine.

For a good every day writing pen, on good paper, and with various inks, and under $100, what is your recommendation(s)?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:58 am

First I’d say you should look up that Parker and get a converter for it, Parker’s can be nice pens, the converter will allow you to refill it, or you can refill the disposable cartridge with a syringe.

As far as a new pen goes, TWSBI are my personal favorites, the eco or eco-t are both very well priced for as nice as they are. I have been thinking of trying one of their classics too for a non demonstrator.

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 am

I was curious about the TWSBI ECO vs ECO-T, found this graphic at Goulet:

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:56 pm

plainview wrote:I was curious about the TWSBI ECO vs ECO-T, found this graphic at Goulet:

I have both, the T is a little bigger

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

New to me old pen!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

New to me old pen!

Such a beautiful pen

and such an ugly pipe
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Tip: After filling a pen, the feed is oversaturated. You can suck the excess out with a paper towel, but that wastes ink. Instead, use the converter/plunger/whatever to squeeze out a drop, and then suck in air. This takes the excess ink out of the feed and still fills the pen completely.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 pm

coco wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm
Tip: After filling a pen, the feed is oversaturated. You can suck the excess out with a paper towel, but that wastes ink. Instead, use the converter/plunger/whatever to squeeze out a drop, and then suck in air. This takes the excess ink out of the feed and still fills the pen completely.
Thanks for the tip! That makes perfect sense.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

coco wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm
ah sweet tip!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:04 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Beautiful pens, John.
Nifty ink colors, too!

I’ve got some new inks I should photograph and post - I’ll try to do that this week.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 am

Recently picked up a TWSBI Diamond from Birmingham Pen Co. One of the smoothest writing fountain pens I've ever used, and I've used some really expensive ones.

(writes a bit bold for a medium, though)