Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 am
I am a fanboy of TWSBI pens and Robert Oster inks particularly, I like fiddling with things and TWSBI’s are fiddlie pens, but they also write wonderfully. The Ahab is ok in my book, but I don’t care for noodler’s nibs, so I would immediately switch it out for a Goulet nib. They just don’t flex that well for a “flex” nib and they always seem to leak for me...

I also have a Monteverde Intima that I love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Goulet Pen Company nibs are very nice! Very smooth, no scratching and ink flows quite well. I definitely recommend them.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
Thanks!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)