Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 am
I am a fanboy of TWSBI pens and Robert Oster inks particularly, I like fiddling with things and TWSBI’s are fiddlie pens, but they also write wonderfully. The Ahab is ok in my book, but I don’t care for noodler’s nibs, so I would immediately switch it out for a Goulet nib. They just don’t flex that well for a “flex” nib and they always seem to leak for me...

I also have a Monteverde Intima that I love!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Goulet Pen Company nibs are very nice! Very smooth, no scratching and ink flows quite well. I definitely recommend them.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14682
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9519
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
Thanks!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Wow! That is a really nice pen!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 pm
durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Wow! That is a really nice pen!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicer than any I ever thought I’d be sticking in my pocket.

I just found the model number on a folded page at the back of the booklet that came with it where the guarantee was filled out by the dealer: 13661.

It’s a 146 Meisterstück Legrand.
He bought it at a Montblanc shop in Milan a few weeks ago.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21960
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 pm
durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Wow! That is a really nice pen!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicer than any I ever thought I’d be sticking in my pocket.

I just found the model number on a folded page at the back of the booklet that came with it where the guarantee was filled out by the dealer: 13661.

It’s a 146 Meisterstück Legrand.
He bought it at a Montblanc shop in Milan a few weeks ago.
Congratulations. Sounds like you raised that boy well.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am

durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Happy 50th!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am
durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Happy 50th!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
:thumbsup:

Ah.
If only.

But then, if still 50 I’d have had 20 fewer years with my wife, not yet have been able to watch my son grow up to be such a wonderful father, not have any granddaughters to hug nor known a single student.

I rather like 70, except for the occasional gripe about the weaker vessel.
Still, thanks, Rev. Thom.

Savor every moment. They go by awfully fast.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9519
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am
durangopipe wrote:Well, I just picked myself up off of the floor.
Today’s mail...

I am having a birthday with a big round number.
My son sent me a “special gift for a special birthday.”

A Montblanc 149 Meisterstück in gold coating.

I haven’t inked it up yet. I’m just staring at it.
I’ll try to get a photo up tomorrow.
Happy 50th!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
:thumbsup:

Ah.
If only.

But then, if still 50 I’d have had 20 fewer years with my wife, not yet have been able to watch my son grow up to be such a wonderful father, not have any granddaughters to hug nor known a single student.

I rather like 70, except for the occasional gripe about the weaker vessel.
Still, thanks, Rev. Thom.

Savor every moment. They go by awfully fast.
Congrats, Steve! Very nice gift indeed. And happy birthday; I'm just a few short years behind you. I wouldn't necessarily want to go back, but I sure wish that time would slow down a bit.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:22 pm

The promised photos ...

Image

Image

Image

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:The promised photos ...

Image

Image

Image

Image
That is awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet pen, Johnny!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet pen, Johnny!
What do you vape in that?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35398
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet pen, Johnny!
What do you vape in that?
LOL!

+1
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet pen, Johnny!
What do you vape in that?
LOL!

+1
*facepalm*


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8056
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet pen, Johnny!
I got the stub nib, I’m excited to ink it up, I love a good stub!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Post Reply