Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:41 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:04 pm
I feel like I need (okay, want) a demonstrator pen. I've always thought they were cool looking and enjoy seeing their mechanicalness (word?). I used to have this impression that demonstrators used to be somewhat of a rarity. I presume they were mainly used as sales props, but now they're available for almost every model.

Here are a couple that really blow my skirt up:

The Pelikan Souveran

The Aurora 88

The Pelikan would be my choice, but both of these pens are around a gozillian dollars, so I'm on the lookout for a cheapo.
I picked up a Moonman T1 -- Brass-- it's quite cool and writes quite well.
It's pretty heavy-- I would not post the brass cap on it :) It's got a nice section that shows the ink and piston-- rather demonstratorish. Quite a bit cheaper available from Amazon but took a while on shipping.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 am

I had a work anniversary and small reward-- I rewarded myself by spending some funds on a Lamy Dialogue 3- matte black-- it's a fine nib which writes very, very smoothly and the nib retracts. It's darned cool looking but definitely pricey.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 am
I had a work anniversary and small reward-- I rewarded myself by spending some funds on a Lamy Dialogue 3- matte black-- it's a fine nib which writes very, very smoothly and the nib retracts. It's darned cool looking but definitely pricey.
Very interesting. I’ve never dealt with a retractable nib.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

7formy1911
Colt = PERFECTION
Colt = PERFECTION

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm

JimVH wrote:
I feel like I need (okay, want) a demonstrator pen. I've always thought they were cool looking and enjoy seeing their mechanicalness (word?). I used to have this impression that demonstrators used to be somewhat of a rarity. I presume they were mainly used as sales props, but now they're available for almost every model.

The Pelikan Souveran

The Aurora 88

The Pelikan would be my choice, but both of these pens are around a gozillian dollars, so I'm on the lookout for a cheapo.
I have a Noodlers Ahab (2 actually) and love them.

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/noo ... gKPvPD_BwE
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm
JimVH wrote:

The Pelikan Souveran

The Aurora 88

I have a TWSBI Vac 700 that I like.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks fellas.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:49 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm
JimVH wrote:

The Pelikan Souveran

The Aurora 88

I have a TWSBI Vac 700 that I like.
+1 except mine is the 580AL.