Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful pens, John.
Nifty ink colors, too!

I’ve got some new inks I should photograph and post - I’ll try to do that this week.
Thanks, the top one is a Pelikan M150 fine, the bottom one is a Monteverde Intima stub.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:22 pm

jruegg wrote:Recently picked up a TWSBI Diamond from Birmingham Pen Co. One of the smoothest writing fountain pens I've ever used, and I've used some really expensive ones.

(writes a bit bold for a medium, though)
I have 3 TWSBI ECOs, I love them



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6297
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Here's what I have inked up at the moment . . .

Image

Jinhao X750 - PR Tanzanite
Parker IM (China) - PR American Blue
Pilot Metropolitan - PR Chocolat
Baoer 388 - Noodler's Red
Parker Urban - Noodler's Zhivago

All inexpensive pens, some ridiculously so.
The Baoer was $2.24 free shipping.
The most expensive pen was the Parker Urban at $19.99 free shipping.

I don't want to develop a taste for fine pens!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16057
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Here's what I have inked up at the moment . . .

Image

Jinhao X750 - PR Tanzanite
Parker IM (China) - PR American Blue
Pilot Metropolitan - PR Chocolat
Baoer 388 - Noodler's Red
Parker Urban - Noodler's Zhivago

All inexpensive pens, some ridiculously so.
The Baoer was $2.24 free shipping.
The most expensive pen was the Parker Urban at $19.99 free shipping.

I don't want to develop a taste for fine pens!
I developed a taste for old fine pens-- and I got them cheap about ten years ago. Then supply/demand or google stepped up the prices.

I was at the rock show back in February and ended up seeing a whole eclectic stall and asked the fellow if he had fountain pens. He pulled out two boxes and I rummaged through them and found 2 from each box that looked worth restoring. I asked how much and he was in the 40-70 range on them-- each. I put them back and walked away. If I can find them for 20 or so and if they have potential on nibs and writing I'll get more excited. Yes... cheap pen tastes are good but start limiting the options. Nice pens are out there but I want to use them and not just have some expensive display.

Example of a fine pen I'd love to have-- a Doric:

Image

https://personalgeographic.wordpress.co ... arp-doric/
Faceted body with adjustable flex nib. It sounds fun. Fund would be talking
$250-400--- ouch, ouch, ouch.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6297
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:12 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm
I developed a taste for old fine pens-- and I got them cheap about ten years ago. Then supply/demand or google stepped up the prices.

I was at the rock show back in February and ended up seeing a whole eclectic stall and asked the fellow if he had fountain pens. He pulled out two boxes and I rummaged through them and found 2 from each box that looked worth restoring. I asked how much and he was in the 40-70 range on them-- each. I put them back and walked away. If I can find them for 20 or so and if they have potential on nibs and writing I'll get more excited. Yes... cheap pen tastes are good but start limiting the options. Nice pens are out there but I want to use them and not just have some expensive display.

Example of a fine pen I'd love to have-- a Doric:

Image

https://personalgeographic.wordpress.co ... arp-doric/
Faceted body with adjustable flex nib. It sounds fun. Fund would be talking
$250-400--- ouch, ouch, ouch.

G.
That adjustable flex nib is pretty nifty.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28877
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by coco » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Here's what I have inked up at the moment . . .

Image

Jinhao X750 - PR Tanzanite
Parker IM (China) - PR American Blue
Pilot Metropolitan - PR Chocolat
Baoer 388 - Noodler's Red
Parker Urban - Noodler's Zhivago

All inexpensive pens, some ridiculously so.
The Baoer was $2.24 free shipping.
The most expensive pen was the Parker Urban at $19.99 free shipping.

I don't want to develop a taste for fine pens!
How are the dry times on the Zhivago?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6297
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m using a fine point Parker. With that pen, it dries pretty quickly.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:36 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Here's what I have inked up at the moment . . .

Image

Jinhao X750 - PR Tanzanite
Parker IM (China) - PR American Blue
Pilot Metropolitan - PR Chocolat
Baoer 388 - Noodler's Red
Parker Urban - Noodler's Zhivago

All inexpensive pens, some ridiculously so.
The Baoer was $2.24 free shipping.
The most expensive pen was the Parker Urban at $19.99 free shipping.

I don't want to develop a taste for fine pens!
How are the dry times on the Zhivago?
I use Zhivago for taking notes at work during meetings and I’ve never had a problem with smearing. Can’t give you an exact dry time but it’s not a super wet ink.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28877
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by coco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16057
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I was in an upscale area yesterday-- we went into a mall. They had a Mont Blanc shoppe.

I went in.

I saw a guy being helped-- seemed like he was looking to treat himself. I looked around cautiously but didn't stay long. The employee helping the fellow asked if he wanted to try one of the pens with a particular nib and started pulling on white gloves. It was at that point I knew I had a different perspective on writing instruments and usage. I want something I won't freak out too awfully about if I lost a pen and one that I enjoy writing with. I hope that fellow got what he was looking for. His young wife was standing back and watching him figure it out. They both seemed happy.

I later looked up price ranges as I was telling my wife those were pens on the order of 2k. Yep. The website showed 560-3.1k ranges of pens. That's not in my range-- but cool that the store is there for the upscale folks.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6297
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:48 pm
I was in an upscale area yesterday-- we went into a mall. They had a Mont Blanc shoppe.

I went in.

I saw a guy being helped-- seemed like he was looking to treat himself. I looked around cautiously but didn't stay long. The employee helping the fellow asked if he wanted to try one of the pens with a particular nib and started pulling on white gloves. It was at that point I knew I had a different perspective on writing instruments and usage. I want something I won't freak out too awfully about if I lost a pen and one that I enjoy writing with. I hope that fellow got what he was looking for. His young wife was standing back and watching him figure it out. They both seemed happy.

I later looked up price ranges as I was telling my wife those were pens on the order of 2k. Yep. The website showed 560-3.1k ranges of pens. That's not in my range-- but cool that the store is there for the upscale folks.
One of my son’s clients’ when he was with SapientNitro in Portland was the Swiss luxury brand company, Richemont. My son is a designer/architect. Richemont owns Mont Blanc.

These are their brands: https://www.richemont.com/our-businesses.html

Not a Bic or Timex in the lot!

He designed “customer experience” for them. Don’t ask me what that is, exactly, but I imagine for my son it meant he did the architectural design of their shops and the interiors and displays.

He got some Mont Blanc pens from them, I suspect for free.
I wanted to ask him to get me a Purdy shotgun, but was afraid to ask.

I’m writing right now mostly with a $20 Parker that suits me just fine.
I don’t own any white gloves.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 am

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 am
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ink? Pen brand?
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am

The clear one: TWSBI Eco with Noodlers Apache Sunset

The blue one: TWSBI Eco T with Organic Studios Nitrogen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am
The clear one: TWSBI Eco with Noodlers Apache Sunset

The blue one: TWSBI Eco T with Organic Studios Nitrogen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am
The clear one: TWSBI Eco with Noodlers Apache Sunset

The blue one: TWSBI Eco T with Organic Studios Nitrogen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I really like Noodlers ink. They have some great colors although I’ve found that their bulletproof inks clog up my pens.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9787
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm

I mistakenly thought my wife got me a fountain pen for Fathers Day. I received a couple books instead. So, now I'm back in the hunt myself, for a good pen and some various inks.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm
I mistakenly thought my wife got me a fountain pen for Fathers Day. I received a couple books instead. So, now I'm back in the hunt myself, for a good pen and some various inks.
I like the Ahab pen from Noodlers Ink. You can pull it apart, it’ll take #5 nibs and is pretty versatile. Look at their ink as well. Zhivago and North African Violet are two of my favorites. The pens are usually $25 and under for their various models.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9787
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm
I mistakenly thought my wife got me a fountain pen for Fathers Day. I received a couple books instead. So, now I'm back in the hunt myself, for a good pen and some various inks.
I like the Ahab pen from Noodlers Ink. You can pull it apart, it’ll take #5 nibs and is pretty versatile. Look at their ink as well. Zhivago and North African Violet are two of my favorites. The pens are usually $25 and under for their various models.
Thanks!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22357
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JimVH » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 am
7formy1911 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm
I mistakenly thought my wife got me a fountain pen for Fathers Day. I received a couple books instead. So, now I'm back in the hunt myself, for a good pen and some various inks.
I like the Ahab pen from Noodlers Ink. You can pull it apart, it’ll take #5 nibs and is pretty versatile. Look at their ink as well. Zhivago and North African Violet are two of my favorites. The pens are usually $25 and under for their various models.
Thanks!
Ditto the Ahab pen and Noodlers ink. The Ahab writes better than much more expensive pens I have and their ink is my favorite for all my pens, no matter the brand. I have an almost 40 year old Montblanc Meisterstück that performs much better with Noodlers than even the Montblanc brand ink.

Burgundy is my go-to color for day to day stuff and blue-black for more formal use.

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 am

I am a fanboy of TWSBI pens and Robert Oster inks particularly, I like fiddling with things and TWSBI’s are fiddlie pens, but they also write wonderfully. The Ahab is ok in my book, but I don’t care for noodler’s nibs, so I would immediately switch it out for a Goulet nib. They just don’t flex that well for a “flex” nib and they always seem to leak for me...

I also have a Monteverde Intima that I love!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

Post Reply