Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6299
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:20 am

A beauty ...
Reminds me of the pens my parents used when I was little.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: ...through the tulips

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by michigander » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi all. If I were going to spend $150 - $250 on a fountain pen, what would you recommend?

Thx

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:19 pm

michigander wrote:Hi all. If I were going to spend $150 - $250 on a fountain pen, what would you recommend?

Thx
Personally, Pilot Falcon or Pelikan M120

Www.gouletpens.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6299
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Pilot Metroplitan.
And another pipe. :pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 am

durangopipe wrote:Pilot Metroplitan.
And another pipe. :pipe3:
Indeed, metropolitans are so smooth! I like the Pilot Prera too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28877
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by coco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:39 am

michigander wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm
Hi all. If I were going to spend $150 - $250 on a fountain pen, what would you recommend?

Thx
Something with a gold nib. Gold nibs aren't always better than steel, but if you are spending that sort of money, it would be nice to have at least one pen with a gold nib.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 14934
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
I see it will come with the 1551 student nib. Should be a good writer. If you like it, I recommend snagging a few other nibs off ebay. I'd like to get the signature stub and an extra fine flexible.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8029
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am

I spent an hour last night looking at fountain pens on the auction site...then I realized my hand writing is like a doctor's and a fountain pen is not going to help that.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28877
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by coco » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am
I spent an hour last night looking at fountain pens on the auction site...then I realized my hand writing is like a doctor's and a fountain pen is not going to help that.
I've noticed that a lot of people who love fountain pens can't write. I'm one of them.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
I see it will come with the 1551 student nib. Should be a good writer. If you like it, I recommend snagging a few other nibs off ebay. I'd like to get the signature stub and an extra fine flexible.
I got the pen and it was full of dried up ink. I got it cleaned up BUT I’m not quite sure how to disassemble it to check the fill mechanism. Taking off the nib is easy, any good resources on further disassembly? I just don’t want to break something!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
I see it will come with the 1551 student nib. Should be a good writer. If you like it, I recommend snagging a few other nibs off ebay. I'd like to get the signature stub and an extra fine flexible.
I got the pen and it was full of dried up ink. I got it cleaned up BUT I’m not quite sure how to disassemble it to check the fill mechanism. Taking off the nib is easy, any good resources on further disassembly? I just don’t want to break something!
YouTube, I’m sure there’s a video...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: ...through the tulips

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by michigander » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm
Pilot Metroplitan.
And another pipe. :pipe3:
OK, I decided to start out with a couple of Metropolitans (one fine, one medium) to get started.

Now can you recommend some paper?

I'm thinking of note pads for general note taking or jotting down lists.

Thx
Kent

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28877
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by coco » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 am

michigander wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm
Pilot Metroplitan.
And another pipe. :pipe3:
OK, I decided to start out with a couple of Metropolitans (one fine, one medium) to get started.

Now can you recommend some paper?

I'm thinking of note pads for general note taking or jotting down lists.

Thx
Kent
Rhodia
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8029
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:22 pm
The promised photos ...

Image

Image

Image

Image
That is a beauty! Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 am

coco wrote:
michigander wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm
Hi all. If I were going to spend $150 - $250 on a fountain pen, what would you recommend?

Thx
Something with a gold nib. Gold nibs aren't always better than steel, but if you are spending that sort of money, it would be nice to have at least one pen with a gold nib.
Vintage Watermans with flex are awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8029
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 am

coco wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am
I spent an hour last night looking at fountain pens on the auction site...then I realized my hand writing is like a doctor's and a fountain pen is not going to help that.
I've noticed that a lot of people who love fountain pens can't write. I'm one of them.
I keep finding myself reading this thread and checking the auction site...I have a hunting fishing journal that I was thinking I would like to have a fountain pen and maybe that would encourage me to write in the journal...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 14934
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Cleon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 am
Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
I see it will come with the 1551 student nib. Should be a good writer. If you like it, I recommend snagging a few other nibs off ebay. I'd like to get the signature stub and an extra fine flexible.
I got the pen and it was full of dried up ink. I got it cleaned up BUT I’m not quite sure how to disassemble it to check the fill mechanism. Taking off the nib is easy, any good resources on further disassembly? I just don’t want to break something!
Did chunks come out of the pen body when you cleaned it? If they did, then the rubber fill sac had petrified and disintegrated and you'll have to get a new one. If there were no chunks, then operate the lever. If the lever works and no chunks come out then I'd just put a nib on, dip the pen in some ink, pull the lever and fill er up.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 5033
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 am
7formy1911 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 am
Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am
I've got the old Esterbrook up and running with an extra fine nib, just to test it out. Wow. I didn't know I could like an XF nib this much.
I can't recommend vintage Esterbrook enough. They just work. I just switched from and XF nib to F and it took all of 20 seconds. Smooth as silk. The screw in nib\feed assembly makes cleaning and changing nibs a breeze. They sure knew what they were doing in the old days when everyone used fountain pens. I highly recommend picking one up of ebay if you get a chance. They can be had for around $20 and sometimes much less. Nib choices galore too.
I took your advice and got a vintage Esterbrook on EBay for $14.25. Once it comes in I’ll let you guys know how I like it. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Esterb ... cvip-panel
I see it will come with the 1551 student nib. Should be a good writer. If you like it, I recommend snagging a few other nibs off ebay. I'd like to get the signature stub and an extra fine flexible.
I got the pen and it was full of dried up ink. I got it cleaned up BUT I’m not quite sure how to disassemble it to check the fill mechanism. Taking off the nib is easy, any good resources on further disassembly? I just don’t want to break something!
Did chunks come out of the pen body when you cleaned it? If they did, then the rubber fill sac had petrified and disintegrated and you'll have to get a new one. If there were no chunks, then operate the lever. If the lever works and no chunks come out then I'd just put a nib on, dip the pen in some ink, pull the lever and fill er up.
Lots of chunks. I got it apart and it definitely needs a new sac.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Post Reply