Tea

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Tea

Post by coco » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:33 pm

This is a general thread to discuss anything and everything about tea.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: Tea

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Have been eying some Japanese clay teapots. Might ask for one for my bday in May.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm

I will follow this thread with much interest as I am much the amateur tea drinker.
I have introduced the hang out crew at Milans to tea drinking, but we drink bagged tea there as it is much more convenient in the small space kitchenette we use there.
I wanted to share with them my preference for Lapsang Souchong so I ordered some in tea bags. It was from a supposedly reputable brand (Taylor, I think). It was horrible with barely any smoke taste.
I have a stainless infuser from Amazon ($9?) with a silicone rim and lid so that I can make tea a cup at a time. I drink mostly Lapsang Souchong and Earl Gray. I also drink English Breakfast. I do not add anything to my tea.
A primary advantage tea has over coffee is that the bottom third of the cup is fine even at room temperature while cold coffee is tougher to drink.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Lapsing Souchong, English Breakfast, and Earl Grey are favorites, though I haven't found a black tea I can't enjoy. If we are including herbals, add Rooibos to the list.

Most of the time I drink it straight, but occasionally I like a little drizzle of honey or sugar. I don't think I have ever tried milk in my tea, at least not that I remember.

I know many consider it blaspheme, but I enjoy most teas iced, also. Unsweetened, mostly, but drinking tea with BBQ demands that it be sweet.

I do not have a tea kettle anymore. It took a fatal fall off the counter a while back and I have yet to replace it. I have a small stainless steel sauce pan the I use to heat my water. At work, I use the hot tap on the coffee maker.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm

The tea set in the OP hinted that we were to discuss hot tea. That might have been an improper assumption on my part.

I have probably drank a couple of tanker trucks full of sweetened iced tea in my lifetime, but I doubt it makes for much good discussion.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 pm

I enjoy Earl Grey in various iterations, Assam (in various iterations), and occasionally gunpowder green tea. I also do enjoy an Earl Grey Cream tea: http://www.englishteastore.com/earlgreycream.html

I like this shop: https://www.englishteastore.com/
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

424cat
Congregation
Congregation

Post by 424cat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Yogi Kava Stress Relief. Make it kinda strong, have a cup a couple times a week before bed and sleep like a baby.
on bended knee

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:27 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm
I will follow this thread with much interest as I am much the amateur tea drinker.
I have introduced the hang out crew at Milans to tea drinking, but we drink bagged tea there as it is much more convenient in the small space kitchenette we use there.
I wanted to share with them my preference for Lapsang Souchong so I ordered some in tea bags. It was from a supposedly reputable brand (Taylor, I think). It was horrible with barely any smoke taste.
I have a stainless infuser from Amazon ($9?) with a silicone rim and lid so that I can make tea a cup at a time. I drink mostly Lapsang Souchong and Earl Gray. I also drink English Breakfast. I do not add anything to my tea.
A primary advantage tea has over coffee is that the bottom third of the cup is fine even at room temperature while cold coffee is tougher to drink.
Twinnings has a decent Lapsang Souchang in bags rather smokey but if oversteeped you get a piney astringent flavor. Though depending on how much you like the guys in Milans you can bag your own loose lease and bring it over, some super markets carry filter tea bags (or order it online).
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:36 pm

At the risk of further chastisement from DL, i do enjoy the occasional Earl gray London fog.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:19 pm

424cat wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm
Yogi Kava Stress Relief. Make it kinda strong, have a cup a couple times a week before bed and sleep like a baby.
Coco said it was a thread about tea, not about weeds, you simpering pillock.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 pm

At this juncture I have a little under a pound of Ceylon broken pekoe that I've been drinking morning, noon and night. I also have eight or so ounces of CTC Assam that I almost always have around as a fallback.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Thoth wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:27 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm
Twinnings has a decent Lapsang Souchang in bags rather smokey but if oversteeped you get a piney astringent flavor. Though depending on how much you like the guys in Milans you can bag your own loose lease and bring it over, some super markets carry filter tea bags (or order it online).
Thoth thpeaks thooth. I purposefully overstep the Twinings. Add just a splash of milk and it's a wonderful chocolate and pine and smoke flavor.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 am

I enjoy loose leaf green tea (with and without brown rice) in a tea pot similar to coco's picture.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 am

The green teas I've tried always seem bitter. Makes me wonder if I'm doin it wrong.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:47 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm
The tea set in the OP hinted that we were to discuss hot tea. That might have been an improper assumption on my part.

I have probably drank a couple of tanker trucks full of sweetened iced tea in my lifetime, but I doubt it makes for much good discussion.
I'm sure that Morley will be willing to discuss it with you.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 am
The green teas I've tried always seem bitter. Makes me wonder if I'm doin it wrong.
While green tea is more bitter than black, you should make sure to try steeping it with the proper water temperature, if you have not yet done so. Shoot for 140°F - 185°F. The boiling point of water is 212°F, so just let the water cool for a few minutes after the kettle whistles before steeping.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 am

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 am
JimVH wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 am
While green tea is more bitter than black, you should make sure to try steeping it with the proper water temperature, if you have not yet done so. Shoot for 140°F - 185°F. The boiling point of water is 212°F, so just let the water cool for a few minutes after the kettle whistles before steeping.
Yep. I'm doin' it wrong.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 am

Last night, I washed and scalded out a teapot so that I would not have to bother doing so in the morning and left it sitting by the stove. This morning as soon as I was out of bed I went into the kitchen and filled the kettle with freshly drawn, cold water and set it on the burner turned on high. Retrieving a canister of ceylon from my room, I ladled four heaping teaspoons into the pot. Four seems about the right number for this pot to make the tea nice and strong without it getting stewed and bitter.

When the kettle came to a nice, rolling boil I poured the steaming water over the leaves in the pot, put the lid on, and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After about five minutes I grabbed a mug, this one has a map of the Hawaiian Islands on the side, and poured the first cup of tea. I left about an inch of space below the rim and poured in a dollop of cold whole milk.

That first sip is all that it takes.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am

Very good loose leaf tea at reasonable prices can be had at Fairway and Wegmans Supermarkets if you happen to live near them. Avoid Teavana in the malls for tea, its overpriced and if brewed as suggested gives an insipid cup of tea and with most teas even black I could generally get a second steeping (and several more with green and oolong) not so with their teas.

Also JimVH, if you can try gunpowder green tea its more forgiving in brewing and less bitter to me at any rate ( if you want pm me your address and I'll send you some)

Ahmad Tea Ceylon OPA is generally my go to daily tea.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III