Tea

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: Tea

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am

Had a cup of Whittard English Breakfast tea this morning. I've had this tin sealed up for a while. The label on the bottom says "Best if used by 10/2015". Does anyone know if tea degrades over time when it is sealed up?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am
Had a cup of Whittard English Breakfast tea this morning. I've had this tin sealed up for a while. The label on the bottom says "Best if used by 10/2015". Does anyone know if tea degrades over time when it is sealed up?
It's good. It may not be quite as good by the "best used" date but it should still be good. Well, unless the boll weevils get into it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
If stored in an airtight opaque container in cool dry place, should be fine for a long time. It will still give you a good cup, maybe not the best it could be.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am
GaryInVA wrote:
It's good. It may not be quite as good by the "best used" date but it should still be good. Well, unless the boll weevils get into it.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Thoth wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
If stored in an airtight opaque container in cool dry place, should be fine for a long time. It will still give you a good cup, maybe not the best it could be.
It comes in a proper British tin that is airtight.

Having a cup of Pu-erh tea right now.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm just now brewing up a pot of my go to CTC Assam. It's malty, astringent, almost chalk tasting, yet delicious. By it's self it'd be too tannin and cloying, but with a generous measure of milk in the cup, it becomes a strong, bracing, reassuring, Northern Irish cuppa.

I've practically lived off of this tea before.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 pm
I'm just now brewing up a pot of my go to CTC Assam. It's malty, astringent, almost chalk tasting, yet delicious. By it's self it'd be too tannin and cloying, but with a generous measure of milk in the cup, it becomes a strong, bracing, reassuring, Northern Irish cuppa.

CTC? Crush Tear Curl. It's lower grade leaf.
If you like Assam, here's something that is a real treat .... don't argue, just try it.

http://www.arborteas.com/organic-vietna ... k-tea.html
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm
A_Morley wrote:

If you like Assam, here's something that is a real treat .... don't argue, just try it.

I believe you, but I cannot.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm
Rusty wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Did you think I didn't know it was lower grade leaf, you presumptuous bloviater? I know it's a low grade and, dammit, I like it. I display more tea related erudition when talking in my sleep than you would addressing the World Tea Academy.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Did you think I didn't know it was lower grade leaf, you presumptuous bloviater? I know it's a low grade and, dammit, I like it. I display more tea related erudition when talking in my sleep than you would addressing the World Tea Academy.
Is there a World Tea Academy?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 pm

That does not seem to be a body with which I would freely associate. Nonetheless, I learned something tonight. I thank you for that.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:30 pm

A couple that really surprised me with their quality and low price was Vahdam teas, which I found on Amazon.ca. Last fall I bought a pound of both their 2016 2nd flush Darjeeling and Assam. I'm quite happy. Those exceeded my expectations.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Why? It's really nice stuff. I was blown away. I'm passing along names and vendors for teas that are very good. I think that's a good thing to do in a thread like this. Arbor (they're in Anne Arbor MI) have quite a few very good teas. Their Greenfield Estate Ceylon is very nice too, but somewhat unusual for a Ceylon tea, I think.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Why? It's really nice stuff. I was blown away. I'm passing along names and vendors for teas that are very good. I think that's a good thing to do in a thread like this. Arbor (they're in Anne Arbor MI) have quite a few very good teas. Their Greenfield Estate Ceylon is very nice too, but somewhat unusual for a Ceylon tea, I think.
Oh, it sounds lovely. Silly personl boycott there, though. Please give all the recommendations you are inclined to give. I'm sadly ignorant in the matter of tea.

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Post by Auroraboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 pm

At risk of sounding lowbrow compared to some of the other responses, it's Tetley's British Blend or PG Tips for me, always with a splash of milk, at least twice a day.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Auroraboy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 pm
At risk of sounding lowbrow compared to some of the other responses, it's Tetley's British Blend or PG Tips for me, always with a splash of milk, at least twice a day.
PG Tips is perfectly acceptable. I don't care for the American incarnation of Tetley.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I like all decent varietals, just depends on time of day and mood, like tobacco. My last cup this morning was Ty-Phoo. Not bad for a strong British cup, stronger than PG Tips, close to Yorkshire.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 am

My wife and I each had two cups of Twinnings Earl Gray last night when we got home from Wed night Bible study, along with a few store-bought shortbread cookies. A rare treat, for us.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:21 am

Yesterday afternoon, having had a wicked craving for a cup for the past few hours but being unable to satisfy it, I had finally made a fresh pot of assam and was halfway through that first, bracing cup only to receive a message from a director asking if I could meet. Though I was loath to venture out again, I, nevertheless, left the rest of the pot undrunk and proceeded to the studio.

When I returned a few hours later, I poured the remaining tea into a saucepan, added two spoonfuls of sugar and a quarter cup of milk, and heated it all to a boiling. It was delicious and I am not ashamed.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS