Svord Knife.. Opinel Knife...

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Svord Knife.. Opinel Knife...

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 am

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Svord Knife.. Opinel Knife...

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 pm

I have both. Both are excellent knives at a ridiculously low price.
Get both. For a fixed blade, try a Morakniv from Sweden.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 pm
I have both. Both are excellent knives at a ridiculously low price.
Get both. For a fixed blade, try a Morakniv from Sweden.
I meant to post a review of both and ran out of spare time.

The two knives pictured are both mine. Both are workhorses and couldn't be anymore low tech or low-fi.

I have many mora knives too, Mora are my favorite fixed blade, Svord and Opinels are my favorite friction/folders.

Case make my favorite slip joints.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 am

Good choices! I once had a Randall #3 w/ stag haft; beautiful knife, but the Moras actually cut better. A burglar got the Randall years ago. I also like my 3 Spydercos; two lockbacks and one fixed blade; all gifts, I'd never have spent the $$$ for them.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 am

My son bought an Opinel knife last year at an outfitter in CO. It's a great little knife. Unfortunately he's a little young to constantly remember to keep it dry (and not leave it in his pocket when doing laundry...), but an excellent knife and one he could afford. I borrow it from him all the time.
Sola Deo Gloria

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Opinel is a classic but for a slip joint I go with the trusty Victorinox Swiss Army. Either there Farmer model for when I am in the woods or one of my kits, or for edc my DAK (basically a Pioneer).
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 am
There
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

The new Opinel has been redesigned so that it locks in both the open and closed position. A great improvement! I have a 25-30 year old Opinel #8 I bought in France and it does picnic basket duty along with a SAK with the corkscrew.
Along with the Mora and the Green River, I think these are exceptional values.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 pm

These are about the only blades I carry anymore. Both are high carbon and razor/shaving sharp. I have several Svord blades with different colored and modified scales.

:chili:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 pm
These are about the only blades I carry anymore. Both are high carbon and razor/shaving sharp. I have several Svord blades with different colored and modified scales.

IMHO Svords just look like an accident waiting to happen. I like the new Opinels with the blades that also lock closed.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 pm
Jocose wrote:

IMHO Svords just look like an accident waiting to happen. I like the new Opinels with the blades that also lock closed.
The Svord design, which is over 400 years old, prevents the blade from closing during use.
I like the opinel design but the Svord gets my nod.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Jocose wrote:

The Svord design, which is over 400 years old, prevents the blade from closing during use.
How does it work? I had an opportunity to buy one once and couldn't see how anything other than your grip could keep it from folding?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am
Jocose wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Jocose wrote:

How does it work? I had an opportunity to buy one once and couldn't see how anything other than your grip could keep it from folding?
Exactly.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:13 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am
Jocose wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Exactly.
8O

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm

After borrowing my son’s knife for the past year, they got me my own Opinel for Father’s Day. No. 8:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria