Hat Tipping

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Hat Tipping

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:49 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm
I actually don't even own a legit "hat" (brim all the way around) except for my booney hat that I wear in the bush. I have a long face so hats tend to make it look even dumber than usual (though I do wish I had a face for hats.) I'm rarely without a ball cap or a flat/ivy cap though.
Please name the hat style and size you desire, as every swinging Richard on CPS wants to send you one. You're cool with like Hello Kitty style head
wear, right?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:52 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 pm
I wear a flat cap probably 75% of the time I'm awake. So do I pinch the brim and nod while holding the hat still or hold my head still and slightly lift the brim? I'm thinking brim still and slight nod.
I also wear a flat cap. No doffing. Only doff to the village squire. We don't have village squires.
Perhaps, but we should.

What about ladies and our superiors?
They should also be clad in tweed and stout brogues, and understand that a the social niceties of Town do not apply in the country.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:49 pm
JMG wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm
I actually don't even own a legit "hat" (brim all the way around) except for my booney hat that I wear in the bush. I have a long face so hats tend to make it look even dumber than usual (though I do wish I had a face for hats.) I'm rarely without a ball cap or a flat/ivy cap though.
Please name the hat style and size you desire, as every swinging Richard on CPS wants to send you one. You're cool with like Hello Kitty style head
wear, right?
Hello Kitty? I hear that's what all the hip cats are wearing these days.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 am

If you're going to wear a hat, as most Godly men do, hat tipping is essential. It's sort of the point, isn't it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Winton wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:10 pm
I don't wear a hat indoors.

Once, I was rebuked once for holding my hat with the inside of the hat facing outside. But the rebuker was nutty in multiple different ways.
I still say that you mustn't hold your hat thus.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm

1) The term, "every swinging Richard," took a moment to become understood. I will now add it to my lexicon, if not daily usage.

2) In response to Sir Moose's final link regarding hat etiquette, I am embarrassed to report that I eagerly responded as Charlie Brown might have when invited by Lucy to placekick the football and can only say, "ARRRRGGGGHHH!"
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:56 pm

serapion wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 am
If you're going to wear a hat, as most Godly men do, hat tipping is essential. It's sort of the point, isn't it?

Finally! A man I can get behind for any level of public office. Well. Ya know. So long I get a finders fee, right? 12% is nothing. Right? Ok. Ok. Ok. Nine dot seven and that’s it. We got a deal or what? Let’s go here, I got places to go.

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:56 pm
serapion wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 am

Finally! A man I can get behind for any level of public office. Well. Ya know. So long I get a finders fee, right? 12% is nothing. Right? Ok. Ok. Ok. Nine dot seven and that’s it. We got a deal or what? Let’s go here, I got places to go.
You're most kind. Tip 'o the hat to you.
I'll have my people call your people.
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm

If I happen to be wearing a hat when I'm introduced to a stranger, I take it off.

If I'm dining indoors with a lady, I take it off.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm
If I happen to be wearing a hat when I'm introduced to a stranger, I take it off.

And generally anytime you're indoors, right?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm
1) The term, "every swinging Richard," took a moment to become understood. I will now add it to my lexicon, if not daily usage.

2) In response to Sir Moose's final link regarding hat etiquette, I am embarrassed to report that I eagerly responded as Charlie Brown might have when invited by Lucy to placekick the football and can only say, "ARRRRGGGGHHH!"
Another bit of advice for the other side when it comes to hat manners: Do not reach or grab for another person's hat, especially if it is on their head. DO NOT DO IT! Grabbing for a person's hat is a good way to start a fight. If you are interested in looking at it, just ask. A regular hat wearer will probably be more than happy to show you their hat.

Just yesterday a man came up to me and politely asked if he could look at my hat. Great. I love spreading the good news of the hat. He examined it and we had a brief conversation about the hat. What a nice thing. I'm hoping he might get his own proper hat now. If he'd just grabbed my hat (and I've had that happen) things would have turned out much differently I suppose.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am
FredS wrote:

My father would remind my friends to remove their hats/caps if they wore them indoors for any length of time, especially at the table.
Bear Bryant would not, at least initially as I recall, wear his signature houndstooth hat inside the superdome for the sugar bowl.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:

My father would remind my friends to remove their hats/caps if they wore them indoors for any length of time, especially at the table.
Bear Bryant would not, at least initially as I recall, wear his signature houndstooth hat inside the superdome for the sugar bowl.
One needn't doff his chapeau in large corridors, but anything more intimate would require it. On an indoor football field for business, that's a judgment call.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:

In this regard I am definitely not an OFG because it depends entirely on the condition of my hair at the time. Now for instance. Mrs FredS is the only person who's cut my hair in the last 25 years. Six weeks ago, we moved her out of state to our new home and I've stayed behind. As a result, my full head of fast-growing hair has not seen the scissors lately and often looks unkempt. I'm wearing a ball cap at the office today. Trust me, my unruly mop is more unsightly than my KC Royals ball cap.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:42 pm

I wear driving caps outdoors, so actually tipping the hat is impractical. I do sometimes touch the brim in greeting. And if I'm speaking with a lady outdoors, I always take it off entirely. My wife says she appreciates the gesture.

I never wear a hat indoors--ball cap or anything else--unless I'm actually trying to protect my hair/head (e.g. if I'm on my back with my head under the kitchen sink installing a dishwasher hose...). My mother is responsible for that habit of mine. No hats were to be worn inside her house, and especially not at the table. It will always be a habit of mine to take off my hat the moment I walk in the door.

I'll make exceptions for large, public places like malls. But never, ever in church. It sometimes irks me to see the younger guys wearing hats inside the church, though in my saner moments I think that, if wearing a hat inside the church building is the worst thing they're doing, then I really ought not complain. It's hard, though, distinguishing between socially-determined etiquette and sacred reverence. And now that I've brought up that sticky issue, I'm going to have to do some more thinking about it. :?