Beard Shampoo/Soaps

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Beard Shampoo/Soaps

Post by Tatanka » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 pm

There seems to be no limit of beard oils. I have heard, apparently universally, that regular hair shampoos are too harsh for beards; washing out the oils absorbed by the beard hair - so one should never use such "soaps" and "shampoos."

I have not found any consensus on beard discussions on a or "the" top shampoo for beards. Anyone have a good lead or experience;

A second joining question is: Is there any verifiable evidence that a separate beard shampoo is tested to provide greater health or sheen or manageability for a beard? I keep drawing a blank on such "sound" information.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Beard Shampoo/Soaps

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm

I used to be concerned about such, and at one time even tried a couple of specialty products, but never saw a difference in how my beard looked or felt. For the last few years I've used the same pine tar bar soap I use for the rest of me and my beard has remained in good shape. I can't let it grow more than an inch and a half, or so, at my job, so I can't really comment on long-term/long-hair effects.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

I've never had problems just using my wife's Pantene shampoo and conditioner.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:16 pm

I use Shea Moisture shea butter shampoo. It tames my curls and softens the hair. I think it might prevent ingrowns too. It smells subtly of citrus. You can get it in the African American hair products section at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or Amazon.

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm

jruegg wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm
I've never had problems just using my wife's Pantene shampoo and conditioner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Gun oil.

No, but really, I've noticed a difference in my hair and beard ever since I've been taking cold showers.... much thicker and not dry anymore. I know, sounds crazy, my wife says I'm crazy for it to. But, as someone that has psoriasis, I can honestly say the my scalp and beard are far less dry then they ever have been.

That being said, I'm sure you dont want to go the "cold shower" route. I have heard coconut does pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

AugustBurnsRed wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Gun oil.

No, but really, I've noticed a difference in my hair and beard ever since I've been taking cold showers.... much thicker and not dry anymore. I know, sounds crazy, my wife says I'm crazy for it to. But, as someone that has psoriasis, I can honestly say the my scalp and beard are far less dry then they ever have been.

That being said, I'm sure you dont want to go the "cold shower" route. I have heard coconut does pretty well.

Wow! This is fascinating to me! I would never conceive that cold water would make ANY difference! Have you shared this with others suffering from psoriasis? It would be REALLY interesting to hear of others find it helpful also! Boy I wish you well.

I have wondered if the people promoting a separate cleanser to use on a beard, rather than a good shampoo for the hair on one's head, promote a separate product for washing a beard just to make $$ ? I'm thinking now that a professional in this field is needed to give a definitive explanation?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Y’all fixin’ to have a big ol’ mani-pedi long weekend spa party are ya?

Al? Where art thou?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 am

Ivory is 99.44 % pure.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 am
Ivory is 99.44 % pure.
Yes, but the other 0.56 is the devils filth, so govern yourselves accordingly.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:58 pm
Y’all fixin’ to have a big ol’ mani-pedi long weekend spa party are ya?

Al? Where art thou?
Wantin' to look and smell me best, in case there is such a party and I'm invited! :chili:
Soli Deo Gloria!

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

Tatanka wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 pm
There seems to be no limit of beard oils. I have heard, apparently universally, that regular hair shampoos are too harsh for beards; washing out the oils absorbed by the beard hair - so one should never use such "soaps" and "shampoos."

I have not found any consensus on beard discussions on a or "the" top shampoo for beards. Anyone have a good lead or experience;

A second joining question is: Is there any verifiable evidence that a separate beard shampoo is tested to provide greater health or sheen or manageability for a beard? I keep drawing a blank on such "sound" information.
I just let my beard grow for a couple weeks and shave it off, over and over.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Tatanka wrote:
AugustBurnsRed wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Gun oil.

Wow! This is fascinating to me! I would never conceive that cold water would make ANY difference! Have you shared this with others suffering from psoriasis? It would be REALLY interesting to hear of others find it helpful also! Boy I wish you well.

I have wondered if the people promoting a separate cleanser to use on a beard, rather than a good shampoo for the hair on one's head, promote a separate product for washing a beard just to make $$ ? I'm thinking now that a professional in this field is needed to give a definitive explanation?
Sorry I am late to respond. Been pretty busy. I haven't really talked to others with psoriasis in regards to the shower method. More so because the only reason I've been doing cold showers is because of the health benefits both after hockey games and those on a casual basis as well. It's actually quite interesting on how many benefits surround that of a cold shower. That being said, the cold shower is just something I noticed as far as my scalp(body in general) retain more moisture.

I have used Monat shampoo and conditioner as well as the oil they offer. Works well for the scalp as well as the beard. Only downfall is the price... it's spendy.

Here's some products I was looking into getting myself:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071RTF9HN#Ask

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NNFB ... 9FWA&psc=1

Hope that helps a little