An interesting thing I found?

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Eruannu
Usher
Usher

An interesting thing I found?

Post by Eruannu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm

I found this in a box of my grandfathers things. I am aware of a symbol similar to this representing a Hungarian facist movement. As this was made by Terra sancta in 58 I'm sure this particular cross has different meaning. Can one of the Catholic or Orthodox gentlemen or someone more attuned to history point me in the right direction. Image

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: An interesting thing I found?

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Eruannu wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm
I found this in a box of my grandfathers things. I am aware of a symbol similar to this representing a Hungarian facist movement. As this was made by Terra sancta in 58 I'm sure this particular cross has different meaning. Can one of the Catholic or Orthodox gentlemen or someone more attuned to history point me in the right direction. Image

"point me in the right direction"
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Eruannu wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Freeway map of Los Angeles, perhaps?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm not sure that has a particular meaning. Could be a corporate symbol.

The "arrow cross" is a cross barby (barbée on the continent) and represents the fish hook of the fishers of men. Unusual, but not rare, in heraldry--more Germanic than not.

I've never seen the arrowheads pointing inwards.

Doesn't help at all, but at least you get some of the meaning of an otherwise unknown piece.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

I am no help. But am very intrigued.

Very.

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 am

Thank you. Since this is made by Terra Sancta I'm going to go with this being a late 50s artistic interpretation of a cross Barby. I really doubt the corporate symbol as it us made by Terra Sancta I suppose it may represent something to do with Saint Sebastian?

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 am

You may already know the following, but I am bored and still working on my first quart of coffee.
Yeah the outside cross is "close" to that of the Hungarian party, and I use the term "close" very loosely. I doubt the Hungarian fascist cross is what this pendant is supposed to represent.
There also appears to be two different crosses: narrow beamed with arrow points laid over a thick beamed cross (like the red cross' cross).
Initially when I looked at the photo you provided, I saw more of an emphasis on arrows rather than crosses.
I used various "reverse image" searches on internet browsers, just to see what would turn up. Nothing, but for some reason Google thought this was close:
Stupid Google.

Using "Terra Sancta" in ebay, yields some interesting results. Holding that the company is still the same; the products from the 1960s are rather interesting. If the company is the same, they were at one time making a lot of hippy/Jewish/Christian trinkets out of brass. There has to be an interesting explanation behind the "Starship Earth" pendant by Terra Sancta
(Thanks for the music, but I am glad I missed the 60's)

Based on the picture you provided and the what I have been able to gather on the company history, crafting materials, and designs ... I'll take an educated guess that maybe the meaning of the symbol(s) is/are more more along the lines of "Christ inside, Christ to the world". I'm at the point of throwing ideas out there to see what will 'stick'.

Have you reached out to the Terra Sancta company yet?
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm

StoicDetective wrote:You may already know the following, but I am bored and still working on my first quart of coffee.
Yeah the outside cross is "close" to that of the Hungarian party, and I use the term "close" very loosely. I doubt the Hungarian fascist cross is what this pendant is supposed to represent.
There also appears to be two different crosses: narrow beamed with arrow points laid over a thick beamed cross (like the red cross' cross).
Initially when I looked at the photo you provided, I saw more of an emphasis on arrows rather than crosses.
I used various "reverse image" searches on internet browsers, just to see what would turn up. Nothing, but for some reason Google thought this was close:
Stupid Google.

Using "Terra Sancta" in ebay, yields some interesting results. Holding that the company is still the same; the products from the 1960s are rather interesting. If the company is the same, they were at one time making a lot of hippy/Jewish/Christian trinkets out of brass. There has to be an interesting explanation behind the "Starship Earth" pendant by Terra Sancta
(Thanks for the music, but I am glad I missed the 60's)

Based on the picture you provided and the what I have been able to gather on the company history, crafting materials, and designs ... I'll take an educated guess that maybe the meaning of the symbol(s) is/are more more along the lines of "Christ inside, Christ to the world". I'm at the point of throwing ideas out there to see what will 'stick'.

Have you reached out to the Terra Sancta company yet?
I'll take that interpretation. It really didn't seem important enough to pester Terra Sancta. I'm going to run with your explanation. Thanks.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 am

If we're just throwing out ideas to see what sticks...

It is possible (albeit unlikely), that the recessed green is the actual figure and the brass is the void. In that case, the Cross Barby is created by a hollow green outline. The brass colored Cross Barby is just the void inside the actual green Cross Barby. The brass 'arrows' pointing inward are just the void between the points of the green shape and their resemblance to arrows is coincidental.

That's probably not it, but it's another idea.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 am
If we're just throwing out ideas to see what sticks...

It is possible (albeit unlikely), that the recessed green is the actual figure and the brass is the void. In that case, the Cross Barby is created by a hollow green outline. The brass colored Cross Barby is just the void inside the actual green Cross Barby. The brass 'arrows' pointing inward are just the void between the points of the green shape and their resemblance to arrows is coincidental.

That's probably not it, but it's another idea.
Just the unsupportable hunches, ma'am.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Upon an in depth research I have stumbled upon this symbol.
Through a second exhaustive research I soon discovered that this symbol is used for a website to let its patrons know that class handouts are not required. I hope this helps.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I'll stick with the freeway map of LA.
There's the 5, 405, 110 and 710 plain as day.