An OFG cooks over a campfire

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

An OFG cooks over a campfire

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 pm

I like cooking over a campfire. It really isn't much different than the BBQ in the backyard but tastes even better because of the wilderness, I suppose.
I thought this might be a good place for such discussion.
What do you like to cook?
What pots/pans/ grills( including dutch ovens) do you cook with?
What is the most elaborate thing you ever cooked over a campfire?
What "fire tools" do you employ for making a good campfire for cooking?
How about appetizers & desserts? They all rock when man cooks over the primitive flame!

I have a steel grill with folding legs for car camping. I also like those long handled thingys---one a plated grill for meat of course, and the other a solid clam shell thingy for grilled sandwiches. Kids especially love these---it keeps them busy in camp.
For back packing I have a lighter weight folding grill.

For cooking heavy metal style cast iron can't be beat---a dutch oven, a large skillet, and a few steel skewers (a genuine OFG would have a sword) work nicely. Enameled steel Graniteware(coffee boiler, frying pan, bean pot and sauce pan handle most recipes. For back packing a small nesting stainless kit makes due. Four metal pie plates bolted with the bottoms together make an ersatz dutch oven---a few coals under one pie plate, what you're cooking on top, the second pair of pie plates on top of that with a few coals in the top plate.

For fire tools I take a shovel, folding Sven saw and ax along---back packing is more limiting of course (son, do you mind carrying the entrenching tool?)
Freeze rock hard those sirloin burgers from Costco and your first night on the trail you can eat like a king! Freeze some sweet Italian sausage and add that to canned spaghetti sauce and enjoy penne pasta instead of a 15 cent package of Ramen noodles. Frozen meat keeps nicely in one of those little soft zippered coolers if it's frozen rock hard.
A few potatoes, some jalapenos from the garden and a small onion don't require refrigeration and can be diced up into Potatoes OBrien. Top with one of those small cans of salsa and it's golden.

Car camping with a Dutch oven, baked apples are a fine dessert as well as a variety of cobblers.
What's your campfire cooking mojo?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: An OFG cooks over a campfire

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 pm

No he doesn't.

He has people for that poo.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 am

I like cooking things on sticks and foil packs when dealing with fire. I own maybe 5 Dutch ovens but cooking with them is not for the open fire but hot coals. Dutch ovens are the opposite of instapots. Using one is not hard but using one well is an art. When I go camping in the pasture my wood gathering tools are generally just an old colson or plumb axe and a pair of pruning shears for cutting roasting sticks.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 am

I find that building, maintaining, and using(cooking on) a campfire in camp very philosophical----different than the convenience of a BBQ---and that is a big part of the charm.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 am

I've been doing some burning in the back yard lately, but mostly pine limbs and boards. Still, it's hard to resist wrapping up a sweet potato or two or 3 in foil, and burying them in the hot coals.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:46 am

Have we ever taken the time to define "old fashioned gentleman?"
Don't get me wrong, I like the threads. But I wonder sometimes if what we really mean is "stuff I like to do" or "forgotten skills men should still have."

I'd assume some real troglodytes cooked over a campfire. Hitler probably warmed his sausages over small fires in the trenches of WW1. Henry Ford loved to camp.

Anyway, just a thought. There's nothing like trout or grouse cooked over a fire. There's nothing like just looking at a fire.

I sometimes think we'd need a lot less therapy if, once every x number of days, we were required to sit next to an open fire by a river, lake, or ocean. Preferably with a dog.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:46 am
Don't get me wrong, I like the threads. But I wonder sometimes if what we really mean is "stuff I like to do" or "forgotten skills men should still have."

I'd assume some real troglodytes cooked over a campfire. Hitler probably warmed his sausages over small fires in the trenches of WW1. Henry Ford loved to camp.

Anyway, just a thought. There's nothing like trout or grouse cooked over a fire. There's nothing like just looking at a fire.

I sometimes think we'd need a lot less therapy if, once every x number of days, we were required to sit next to an open fire by a river, lake, or ocean. Preferably with a dog.
I don’t what the definition should be, but I’m feeling old fashioned lately. It feels like so many around me, people who I thought respected my way of life are shouting all over social media and elsewhere that acquiring and cooking things like game birds is backwards, not to mention doing so over open flames in the woods! Wood fires are bad for air quality they say! I’m beginning to wonder if something is wrong with me. Meat and fish with wrapped veggies are the only things I cook over a fire while camping normally.

Truthfully, I haven’t been out much lately. I really should take my boys to the Sierras on a camping and trout fishing trip soon. I don’t even know if I can find a place at this point. The reservations are probably filled up already and trying to go first come, first served can be a gamble. All the good places that I know to fish also have rules against boondock camping. California will find a way to ruin everything.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 am
hugodrax wrote:

I don’t what the definition should be, but I’m feeling old fashioned lately. It feels like so many around me, people who I thought respected my way of life are shouting all over social media and elsewhere that acquiring and cooking things like game birds is backwards, not to mention doing so over open flames in the woods! Wood fires are bad for air quality they say! I’m beginning to wonder if something is wrong with me. Meat and fish with wrapped veggies are the only things I cook over a fire while camping normally.

Truthfully, I haven’t been out much lately. I really should take my boys to the Sierras on a camping and trout fishing trip soon. I don’t even know if I can find a place at this point. The reservations are probably filled up already and trying to go first come, first served can be a gamble. All the good places that I know to fish also have rules against boondock camping. California will find a way to ruin everything.

Not just California. The whole nation pretty much is at war with itself. Everybody wants to outlaw everybody else’s fun. The trick is to buy enough land to be your own law.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Not just California. The whole nation pretty much is at war with itself. Everybody wants to outlaw everybody else’s fun. The trick is to buy enough land to be your own law.
The thought has crossed my mind, but my wife doesn’t want me to have that much fun either. I tried to explain the modern reality of feudalism to her (which she knows of without me telling her) and she responds that we need to buy more “doors” that we can lord over more people with. Land? I need to show her how managing game leases in Texas can make money too. But someone from California will come up with requirements that will only allow the biggest ranchers to succeed by mandating something like health insurance for deer.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

The thought has crossed my mind, but my wife doesn’t want me to have that much fun either. I tried to explain the modern reality of feudalism to her (which she knows of without me telling her) and she responds that we need to buy more “doors” that we can lord over more people with. Land? I need to show her how managing game leases in Texas can make money too. But someone from California will come up with requirements that will only allow the biggest ranchers to succeed by mandating something like health insurance for deer.
Wives are a lot alike, I see.

I hate leases, too, but it’s the way of the future. Soon, only noblemen will hunt certain species in the US. But it wasn’t quite what I meant: Land ownership let’s you play. You need a hunting camp out of state with a lake.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I hate leases, too, but it’s the way of the future. Soon, only noblemen will hunt certain species in the US. But it wasn’t quite what I meant: Land ownership let’s you play. You need a hunting camp out of state with a lake.
Sure I do! How do you suggest I pay for it?

My parents owned one in upstate PA. I enjoyed it in my youth. Fished during summer, hunted in fall. It was awesome! They sold recently. Bummer.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My parents owned one in upstate PA. I enjoyed it in my youth. Fished during summer, hunted in fall. It was awesome! They sold recently. Bummer.
More doors.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

More doors.
Yup. :lol: