Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 am

100 years ago.
The US was involved in the First World War.
Aircraft were deadly contraptions.
If you travelled anywhere distant, it would have been by ship or train and spending a few nights somewhere entailed finding a rooming house more likely than a hotel or inn.
Telephones were a curiosity, and electricity a luxury, as was hot water, and ice boxes were actually cooled with ice.
Ice, along with milk, and kerosene(for oil lamps,) would be delivered to your door by a horse drawn wagon.
A dance being held was a really big social deal for all ages, not just teens.
Running water and street lighting were the exception, not the rule, in cities.
The head of the family might have a bicycle to get to work, or ride a trolley car.
Movie houses usually employed a piano player (or organist) to provide accompanying music. Later on, when Wings was being screened, first class movie houses had a motorcyclist hidden behind the screen revving his bike's engine (and gassing the audience) to provide realism
In small communities, doctors, preachers and librarians held important positions in the community along with judges, because people assumed that they could read.

In the future, Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, and Thomas Edison(along with a few other industrialists who collectively called themselves the Vagabonds) would popularize the leisure pastime of car camping which the "better off" could partake thanks to the Model T.
Alcoholic beverages would be banned.
The Leopold and Loeb kidnapping/murder would strike a new fear in the hearts of all parents, a fear that exists to this day.

OFG's sure lead interesting lives!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Re: 1918

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 am

Hey, Perfesser:

When did the Spanish Influenza Pandemic break out?

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am

Sure am glad them aircraft is safe today.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 am

Or he might have a motorcycle or automobile, Clyde. He might could even walk.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 am

Pseudohistory.

Are you suggesting that people assumed librarians could read? On what basis do you make these assumptions?

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

You're right, Champ. Parents were never afraid for the welfare of their children prior to 1918.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am

Ain't nobody boiling water in 1918. Too damned luxurious.

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Post by Auroraboy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 am

A time like 1918 can seem idyllic in some ways, but it was also around that time that my maternal grandfather (maybe 14 at the time) endured his parents' divorce and separation (a terrible shame at the time), then the death from pneumonia of his father (a relatively young man) only a short time later, while living in one of the afore-mentioned rooming houses in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His mother had gone to California, and taken his sister with her, and his uncles turned him away due to the divorce stigma. So, alone in his mid-teens, he moved to Boston, working whatever jobs he could get, eventually becoming head store display man for J.C. Penney's in Glendale, CA in the '30s.
Through grit, hard work, natural talent, and self-education, he became a true OFG-- married; raised two daughters; became a leading scenic artist in Hollywood, working in the studio system in the golden age of the film business; became a noted watercolor artist; a dapper, ascot, sweater, and wool cap-wearing OFG, sporting a pencil mustache all his life (he lived to 93), he even smoked a pipe for a time! But he never forgot his early life, and told me many stories both funny and sad.He was a nominal Lutheran, and not what I'd call a pious man, but I have his dog-eared Bible with hand-written notes, that spell out his deep, personal faith quite clearly.

He was one of the greatest men I ever knew, flaws and all. Thanks for bringing up the year 1918, and jogging some of my memories of Gordon Jerrud Butcher (Gramps).

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

Yo, Tacitus:

Motor cars were quite common as taxis in this time period and were decidedly edging out the horse drawn hacks in large cities.

In 1914, during the Battle of the Marne, faces with the difficulty of moving men quickly and easily, the French requistioned the Parisian taxis.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am

I always knew those historic little hotels and inns I see in most every small town in America were a lie. Built anywhere from the 18 to the early 20th centuries, they're clearly designed, like fossil birds, t o distract us from our faith in God.

Nobody back then knew how to lay bricks, or "devil's building blocks" as they were then known.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am
I always knew those historic little hotels and inns I see in most every small town in America were a lie. Built anywhere from the 18 to the early 20th centuries, they're clearly designed, like fossil birds, t o distract us from our faith in God.

Nobody back then knew how to lay bricks, or "devil's building blocks" as they were then known.
Where were you when chuckleheads were insisting that life in the Middle Ages was unsophisticated, primitive, and even savage?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am

Del wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am
hugodrax wrote:

Where were you when chuckleheads were insisting that life in the Middle Ages was unsophisticated, primitive, and even savage?
Watching you get your arse kicked.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 am
Hey, Perfesser:

When did the Spanish Influenza Pandemic break out?
I wasn't around, but my 1914 dad was. Whenever we went to the cemetery he's stop by the section set aside for mass burials. One was for the Spanish flu, another section for a later diphtheria epidemic which took many of his little playmates (and nearly himself!)
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 am

I like the way we dressed in 1918 and earlier.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 am
Or he might have a motorcycle or automobile, Clyde. He might could even walk.
That would depend. I wa contemplating the average OFG in the rapidly expanding urban centers of the time, which didn't kick in 'til after the doughboy returned and started building Sear & Roebuck bungalows.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am
Del wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am
hugodrax wrote:

Watching you get your arse kicked.
They made this.

I don't think modernity could manage a long-term, forward-thinking project so grand and beautiful as the Notre Dam Cathedral.

But we sure can kick arses on Twitter!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

hugodrax wrote:

Are you feeling alright, hugo?

I didn't say there weren't inns, or grand hotels, only that for the ordinary OFG a rooming house was more of an option financially.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am
You're right, Champ. Parents were never afraid for the welfare of their children prior to 1918.
I didn't say they weren't, but Leopold and Loeb sensationalized the horriffic crime and the media spread it far and wide. Kind of like the way 9-11 changed the way the public looks at terrorism.